• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So long and thanks for all the fish!

Satyrn

First Post
This forum isn't toxic, not by a long shot. But it's also not a very open and accessible community. Largely because it's old. There's a lot more forum goers here who date to the 4e and 3e era, or even 2e gamers. There's not a lot of first time gamers or new players here. There's a strong slant of optimisation and RAW, as well as a lingering undercurrent of edition warring.

There's a stark difference when you compare this to the D&D Facebook group or one of the reddit D&D communities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/

The first one in that list typically has as many posters as this forum, but the discussions are night and day. There's a lot more sharing of cool stuff or stories, a lot more asking of advice, a heck of a lot more pictures.
Here, there's a lot more debates of the rules. What the best X is, if class or spell Y is good or bad, Unearthed Arcana evaluations, stealth, warlords, and general arguing. There really isn't a lot of people just talking about their game, getting advice, or generally being excited (or happy) about D&D. It doesn't feel like a fan forum for a hobby people love. There's not a lot of joy in these forums.

ENWorld is the DC Cinematic Universe of D&D forums...

I wanted to click XP, but you ended with a joke! Well played.

Corwin

Explorer
Completely unrelated, but in this thread, what the heck, right? Your username, did you get that from the heroine of the Amita Kun from the Adventurers/Ninja Elite comics? Just curious.
If it turns out to be a gastrointestinal sleeping disorder, I'm going to call your question insensitive...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
There's a stark difference when you compare this to the D&D Facebook group or one of the reddit D&D communities:
When I want to see a cutesy drawing of a grandmotherly Tiefling warlock that someone's girlfriend drew, then I go to those other sites. But when I want a substantive discussion that will actually add to my knowledge of the game and help me improve as a player and a DM, then I come here. The knowledge and expertise on ENWorld is greater than all those other forums put together.

That's first time I've heard anyone say something nice about Reddit :) I thought they were slightly above 4chan! ;)
There's a LOT of great stuff on Reddit. With so many communities, there's some amazing and decent ones. And some horrible ones. Reddit is a generally great place with some good users. And as its reputation has grown, the good places have generally been uplifted.

Unlike 4Chan which has slowly devolved into a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I really can't say more without violating these forum's "no politics" rules and derailing the thread, but there's a lot of hate in 4Chan...

When I want to see a cutesy drawing of a grandmotherly Tiefling warlock that someone's girlfriend drew, then I go to those other sites. But when I want a substantive discussion that will actually add to my knowledge of the game and help me improve as a player and a DM, then I come here. The knowledge and expertise on ENWorld is greater than all those other forums put together.
If I want an evaluation of the new UA content or a debate of rules, I come here. If I want to help improve my game or talk about my campaign, I go elsewhere.

How many threads here are actually about playing Dungeons & Dragons? How many threads here are about actual honest to goodness games or characters or advice? When a game is mentioned, it's usually in the context of "this rules question came up, how do I answer it?" Or people play and then create a micro blog post to start a discussion.

There's far less talk of campaign plots, cool NPCs, neat puzzles, inventive traps, and the like. And when those discussions do happen, they usually get derailed into a debate.

It's not that we don't run campaigns. It's just that this forum skews old and experienced. We know D&D so we have fewer questions. We need less help, so we ask less. But that distorts the tone of the forums, making it less creative and proactive, and generally making it more related to arguments and rules discussions than being a fan site for a hobby.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads