• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So...Multiattack

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Hiya.

I get that, I just don't think it's the same thing. I see "Multiattack" as the same as "Grapple" or "Spell". Multiattack isn't just "Attacks: 3 per round"...it is a very specific way of attacking 3 times in a round. Each "attack" isn't something it normally gets. It can't "attack 3 times a round"...so a monster couldn't sub out Claw/Claw/Bite for Dodge/ShootCrossbow/BreathWeapon. Why? Because it doesn't have "3 attacks per round". It has ONE, like everyone else in the game who isn't a high level class with Extra Attacks.

It's the same as someone with the Crossbow Expert Feat. That would be listed as "multiattack" on their 'monster sheet';

"Multiattack: The Deft Thug can attack once with it's short sword, and shoot once with it's hand crossbow."

...a DM wouldn't/shouldn't let the Deft Thug 'swap out' his extra shot with the crossbow for a Grapple. Why? Because it's the combo of those 'abilities' that lets him multiattack. He doesn't actually have 2 attacks per turn. This is a very specific 'way of attacking'. Just like a monsters Claw/Claw/Bite Multiattack.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Are you seriously saying you believe a creature like a cloud giant couldn't use a melee weapon other than a morning star for two attacks because the cloud giant entry says "makes two Morningstar attacks"?

As I stated earlier, the likely reason for not being specific with the Multiattack action is because monsters are so varied it is impossible to determine exactly what they are capable of with a single Multiattack entry. If you did that, your entry would expand for nearly every creature unnecessarily lengthening the book.

This is all a moot point. When DMing players like yourself, the DM needs to write in advance that the creature gets two generic melee attacks that he can use with grapple or shove. Problem is solved. It is RAW that the DM can write the Multiattack capabilities in whatever fashion suits them. I imagine some players might ask the DM to show them the text requiring the DM to write the modification in advance. Monster creation is very much a creative endeavor in 5E and not set in stone at all.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Are you seriously saying you believe a creature like a cloud giant couldn't use a melee weapon other than a morning star for two attacks because the cloud giant entry says "makes two Morningstar attacks"?

Yes. If it uses a different weapon that changes the damage then you will have to recalculate it's CR and it is no longer a cloud giant but a "cloud giant soldier" or whatever. 5E monsters are not made to be flexible. Modularity got sacrificed for simplicity.

This is all a moot point. When DMing players like yourself, the DM needs to write in advance that the creature gets two generic melee attacks that he can use with grapple or shove. Problem is solved. It is RAW that the DM can write the Multiattack capabilities in whatever fashion suits them. I imagine some players might ask the DM to show them the text requiring the DM to write the modification in advance. Monster creation is very much a creative endeavor in 5E and not set in stone at all.

The problem with this is that moderate numbers of lower level enemies are suddenly made even more dangerous with shoves since prone ridiculously gives advantage. This can fairly dramatically increase the threat of certain monsters.

Anyway, shove and grapple specify the attack action and multiattack is listed as it's own type of action. Plenty of monsters already have ways of knocking characters prone without using attack action to shove.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

"By the book", yeah, that's because it says "Morning star". A monster with "two Claw attacks" gets two claw attacks...not two "kick attacks", or "a kick and a head butt", or "a claw and any frozen fish smaller than 3 pounds attack".

I also said the DM should feel free to change it up to what makes sense for him. So a cloud giant with a warhammer could make "two warhammer attacks". But that would be changing what is written.

Minor swaps/changes aren't the issue. The issue is whether or not "Multiattack" is the monster equivalent of a Fighters "Extra Attack". Personally, I say it isn't. But I also say "do what you want". I wouldn't let a monsters Multiattack...generally speaking...'swap out' one of them for some other combat choice like Grapple or Push/Shove. In unusual situations with unique monsters/NPC's, sure, but that's the exception and not the rule. At my table, a monster with "Multiattack: Claw/Claw/Bite // or // Breath Weapon // or // Thrown Spear", can choose ONE of those, or substitute that ONE for one of the most common combat actions like Grapple, Dodge, Disengage, etc. But definitely NOT swapping out a Claw for a Dodge, for example.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Hiya!

"By the book", yeah, that's because it says "Morning star". A monster with "two Claw attacks" gets two claw attacks...not two "kick attacks", or "a kick and a head butt", or "a claw and any frozen fish smaller than 3 pounds attack".

I also said the DM should feel free to change it up to what makes sense for him. So a cloud giant with a warhammer could make "two warhammer attacks". But that would be changing what is written.

Minor swaps/changes aren't the issue. The issue is whether or not "Multiattack" is the monster equivalent of a Fighters "Extra Attack". Personally, I say it isn't. But I also say "do what you want". I wouldn't let a monsters Multiattack...generally speaking...'swap out' one of them for some other combat choice like Grapple or Push/Shove. In unusual situations with unique monsters/NPC's, sure, but that's the exception and not the rule. At my table, a monster with "Multiattack: Claw/Claw/Bite // or // Breath Weapon // or // Thrown Spear", can choose ONE of those, or substitute that ONE for one of the most common combat actions like Grapple, Dodge, Disengage, etc. But definitely NOT swapping out a Claw for a Dodge, for example.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I think it is the equivalent for some monsters, but not for others. I think the DM should be able to swap out a shove or grapple for an appropriate creature. For example, a troll grabbing you with one claw as a grapple, then biting you isn't at all outside of a possible attack sequence for a troll. It seems very natural they would be able to do this.

Another example is the premade PC race enemies in the back like a Gladiator that gets multiple attacks. Why wouldn't this be exactly similar to a fighter given his training is basically the same? Or a Knight? Or a bandit thug? Considering they no longer use classes in monster design, why wouldn't it be very easy for the DM to extrapolate that certain creatures do have capabilities similar to martials in the PHB? A hobgoblin warlord has only trained with the Longsword in your opinion? He's a hobgoblin warlord. Basically, a high level fighter-type who has trained to fight in a highly disciplined, militaristic fashion. Why wouldn't he be able to alter his attack sequence with grapples and shoves similar to a fighter?

A fighter can't swap an attack for a dodge. That isn't a concern.

I see this as the usual problem with players that attempt to quote RAW. It makes designing books like the Monster Manual impossible and unnecessarily difficult. They somehow argue that a naturalistic series of attacks from a monster isn't "RAW" and will only abide by it if the designers remember to put a "This monster can do this with one of its melee attacks" sentence in every monster entry where it may be appropriate? Sort of defeats the ability of the DM to do things on the fly.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but in my opinion monster design seems very open-ended. I believe it is RAW to allow something like a troll to substitute a claw attack for a grapple while still taking its other attacks. I don't think the designers should have to spell this out for everyone because of the variance of monsters. The monster manual is very loosely designed. I believe that is by intent. Operating as though "by the book" or by "RAW" monster entries limit monsters that should naturally be able to do certain types of attacks like grapples and shoves similar to a fighter is a fallacy. I could only see this coming up at a table where a player is attempting to shackle a DM with rules rather than invest in the idea they are fighting a living, breathing creature that can alter its attack sequence same as a fighter can according to the capabilities of its anatomy.

I don't consider RAW to exist in 5E. Anyone that attempted to hold a DM to a rule that made it seem inappropriate for a creature that can grapple and shove to not be able to do so without losing all its other attacks as damaging the game. I hope if Crawford responds, he takes a different tack than Mearls. I believe if RAW becomes an issue, they should start to incorporate a line into any ability that clearly says, "If a creature's anatomy allows, a DM may substitute a grapple or shove for a melee attack." It's unfortunate they need to add these types of lines to prevent table arguments over these types of rules. I see the 3E propensity to rule lawyer up on people is going to take a while to filter out of these discussions.

I would rather see discussions of whether a particular monster is limited due to its anatomy and/or intelligence rather than a "RAW" ruling. That leads to far more interesting discussions. I hope 5E encourages this type of thinking over RAW rules discussions. When I was young, this was the more common discussion around the table. 3E changed the discussion from "What can or should a monster be able to do?" to "How does this rule work?" I much prefer the former over the latter.

Last edited:

Chocolategravy

First Post
I think it is the equivalent for some monsters, but not for others. I think the DM should be able to swap out a shove or grapple for an appropriate creature. For example, a troll grabbing you with one claw as a grapple, then biting you isn't at all outside of a possible attack sequence for a troll. It seems very natural they would be able to do this.

I guess when in doubt, run it through the monster builder. If advantage is equivalent to +5, then run the monster through the builder with lower damage from one less attack in the multi-attack but higher attack bonus from the prone, or see what having a special prone ability does to it's CR with the lower damage from one less attack.

Obviously it won't be perfect since if one monster prones your character the rest get to circle beat them with their full damage values but with effectively +5 AB which is quite likely lethal, but it's what we got to work with.

Imaro

Legend
Yes. If it uses a different weapon that changes the damage then you will have to recalculate it's CR and it is no longer a cloud giant but a "cloud giant soldier" or whatever. 5E monsters are not made to be flexible. Modularity got sacrificed for simplicity.

Wouldn't this also apply to monster/NPC's that have the "two melee attacks"? If so then why does it matter for some and not for others... since CR is CR?

pming

Legend
Hiya!

**snip great post**

I think we honestly agree with each other...it's just some of the semantics that we have different thoughts on. The actual outcome for both of us seems to be in total agreement: The DM should change stuff to what makes sense for the monster/situation/campaign. I also agree that "RAW" is pretty much "RA(ksiaw)W".. ."Rules As (kinda-sorta-in-a-way) Written" as far as 5e goes. Like the Pirates Code....more of a guideline than actual rules. ;)

I also agree that if they do come out with some form of "Rule-From-On-High" or other 'errata' (I hate that term for things that are rule changes/clarifications) for stuff, it should be deliberately worded to favor DM interpretation, just as you said. IMHO, the less an argumentative player can point to in a book and unequivocally say "See! Right here! I can swim and still attack with my bow!' (or whatever silliness they come up with), the better it is for the game. When rules use generalizations for description (re: some vagueness), it's much easier for a DM to say "Yeah, I see your point...but that's silly, so I'm still saying no; I'll let your tread water, DC 25 Athletics, and shoot your bow...but no moving forward; you fail, you loose your action that round and an arrow". That's good DM'ing. Caving into the player by conceding that "by the rules" there's nothing to stop him from swimming and firing a bow at the same time.... that's bad DM'ing.

(Sorry for the minor diversion there... :) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads