• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, my game is getting big...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not only is my campaign just heading into high level territory (with which I am not particurly experienced), but my gaming group has just expanded from 4 to 7 players! Yikes!

A couple of weeks ago, I had a group of 4 10-12 level characters; I'm starting to get the hang of the higher level play, although I still find it a real challenge. I've had some great help from people here on the boards, though, which made my task a lot easier.

Two weeks ago, a new player joined. He's new to 3E, but has played a lot of 1E/2E in his time. This week, Eccles from these boards is joining my game (he's just moved into the area), and either this week or next a chap I've gamed on and off with for the last 8 years or so is rejoining after moving back home.

The timing isn't great - we're coming to the end of a 9-month campaign arc, so these people are going to be just in time to see the end. I guess I could have asked them to wait a few weeks, but it's hard to tell exactly how long it will take to finish the current arc (anything from 2 weeks to 2 months, depending on how things go). Still, the new guys are just in time to meet one of Blackdirge's wonderful creations. If you aren't a player in my group, check out the Articles section for a taste of what they have in store tonight! [Oh, and while you're at it, is the critter in question appropriate for a group of 7 11-12 level characters?]

Wish me luck! I'm looking forward to it, yet kinda dreading it at the same time. It'll be a challenge, but a fun one!

Turanil

First Post
Last campaign I did run, I stopped at 11th level, part because I was becoming bored of it, but also because I don't know how to run high level campaigns. Nonetheless, I plan to run the next up to the 20th level, and so try to gather ideas and advice on how doing it. There was recently a thread with a link to a story hour that recounted the adventures of a group of 14th level (or so) PCs. I am unable to find it back, but I must say it was very informative. Anyway, any more suggestions on how-to-run high level campaigns are welcome. Maybe this would make the subject for a good article?

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
Combat either needs to be very well discribed, or quick (not nessecessarily short though) as each rotation of combat is longer, this could risk player getting distracted and making combat longer. This follows on to other things but IMO combat holds the biggest risk of distraction.

Good luck though!

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
I'm running an epic level campaign now, and I haven't really found that combat has increased in length. It seems that as monsters and PCs get more hit points, the other does more damage. Not to mention the list of "save or die" spells available at high levels.

The only issue where combat slowed down was when one or both sides were airborne. Flying dragons, flying PCs and carpet riders all in a single battle at first was difficult. But, with a speadsheet and a little bit of trig, I was able to make sense of it - and it doesn't slow us down anymore.

As for the "save or die" spells, they can be a bit hard to deal with at first. I implemented a modified Action Point / Hero Point system to help offset the danger from a single die roll. Basically, the PC gets a number of Hero Points equal to 1/3rd their new character level when they gain a level. Each Point can be used, once per round, to add 3d6 to a single die roll. While these offset some situations, the PCs don't usually know if they have passed or failed before declaring the Point's use. Occationally, then deaths do occur. That's not as much of a problem, as True Ressurection brings back the fallen, for a significant sum. These are epic heroes, after all.

The only real problem is a TPK. That would take some work to sovle...

D'karr

Adventurer
Large Groups

Morrus,

I've been running the same campaign for close to 4 years (monthly game) with a large group 7-12 players.

A friend of mine was running into the same problem when his group started to grow and asked me for some advice. I wrote a long "essay" about challenging large parties. It might also be helpful to you. Let me know if you're interested and where to send it.

Last edited:

Oghma

First Post
D'karr said:
Morrus,

I've been running the same campaign for close to 4 years (monthly game) with a large group 7-12 players.

A friend of mine was running into the same problem when his group started to grow and asked me for some advice. I wrote a long "essay" about challenging large parties. It might also be helpful to you. Let me know if you're interested and where to send it.

Heck, D'Karr, I'd love to see it too! If you don't want to post it up, send a copy to oghma(at) cfl.rr.com.

D'karr

Adventurer
It's a very long "essay" (I believe it was divided into 2 word documents) and I don't recall if I might have used some language that is not appropriate for a public forum. The documents are on my home machine so I won't be able to send them until tonight. Oghma, I'll send you a copy. If I ever get the inclination to sit down and clean it up I might be able to post it.

Turanil

First Post
D'karr said:
Let me know if you're interested and where to send it.
I am! :) (dominique.crouzet@libertysurf.fr)

Each Point can be used, once per round, to add 3d6 to a single die roll.
Well, if it's your houserule, okay. But it took me ages to eventually realize that rolling 1d6 at level 1-7, rolling 2d6 at level 8-14, and rolling 3d6 at level 15-20 actually means you only add ONE d6*. The difference is that when you roll 2 or 3 d6, it's to be able to choose the best d6 result to your d20 roll (not the totality of the 2 or 3 d6). When I discovered that, I suddenly thought that action points are much less exciting...

(*: Unearthed Arcana p.123. "A 15th level character, for instance, gets to roll 3d6 and take the best result of the three. So, if he rolled a 1,2, and 4, he would apply the 4 to his d20 roll.") :(

Last edited:

Since 3E is pretty new, i think that a lot of us have faced similar difficulties with high level play. I think there are certain keys to having a fun and exciting high level campaign:

1. Make sure that the adventures REQUIRE players to use their higher level abilities to get ahead - examples include use of high level spells to gather information, travel etc.

2. Rewards should be intrinsic to the campaign setting and not just magic items - this includes, property, titles etc. This rewards the players as well as creates an inherent investment by the PCs in the campaign. A war or political uprising poses a much greater risk to the character.

3. Since they are the more powerful in the society, make sure they are treated as such - respect from some, fear or considered a threat by others etc.

4. Familiarity with spells are key to running effective combats - make sure that there are obstacles that can only be overcome by specific abilities of certain PCs.

5. Expand the world - go planar, intercontinental etc. this challenges the players by placing them in unfamiliar envirionments and also lets you use cool "unfamiliar" characters, abilities,creatures etc (combat in the astral plane can be quite challenging for those unfamiliar with it).

6. There are always problems, situations etc. that require players to "think", no matter what the level - this includes puzzles, moral dilemmas etc.

7. Keep your NPCs as simple as possible as far as what you need to run that NPC in the situation/manner you expect to use him in. For example, you dont need to know every skill etc. for an NPC that you expect to use only in combat. This speeds up your response to the game.

8. Always smirk evilly and nod...

William Ronald

Explorer
Waylander the Slayer: Good suggestions. May I add a few?

9.) Always make sure the players care about the world around them. In addition to gaining the respect of others, the PCs may well have cohorts, family, or friends that matter to them. Many people will go through a lot for the people close to them. Also, by having developed NPCs that the PCs CARE about, it adds a layer of emotional realism.

10) Actions have consequences, sometimes actions have unintended consequences. Eliminating a powerful enemy may mean that powerful people or entities held in check by that enemy may move on their own agendas. This may be helpful to the party, or may well present new threats. The PCs may find that they have unexpected allies or enemies.

11) Politics makes strange bedfellows. In Sepulchrave's story hour, several unlikely allies are working with the PCs. This can create moral dilemmas, and provide the players with new insights into the campaign world.

12) Maintain a sense of wonder. This can be hard to do, but having a few surprises for the PCs is important. An example of creating a sense of wonder in a group of PCs might happen if they discover that their world, which they thought was the only one, is but one among many -- and the battle they have been fighting is but part of a larger conflict.

Last edited:

Remove ads