• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, tell me of this RPGA...

Vrylakos

First Post
Crossposted from rpg.net

Ok...

So, I joined the RPGA, passed the Herald-level DM exam and all that.

Looking over stuff, it seems to promote D&D, which I expected, with a few other games as less favored games.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this basically the case?

I'm interested in Living Spycraft, and maybe the odd Living Force dealio. Maybe D&D later, but right now I'm a bit burned out after a long campaign.

So, tell me what people's experiences with the RPGA. It's limits, it's good points, etc. etc. Any hassles? Anything the organization excels at?

Or just anything, really...

Vrylakos
Man with No Time For Crime

pogre

Legend
I have run their games at conventions and it is generally a good deal. As far as running a RPGA game on a regular basis, too much paperwork for me.

diaglo

Adventurer
haven't been a member since 1983 or so. so i can't really tell you much about the modern RPGA.

back in the early 80's it was okay. but then they started to churn out crapola....

kinda like the rise and fall of Poly in that regard.

Rugger

Explorer
EricNoah said:
PC's probably nursing a hangover after ConnCon weekend. :)

Bah! I saw all 6 odd feet of Grizzly Adams himself on Sunday at ConnCon...looked as bright eyed (singular) and bushy tailed as ever! ;)

One thing I can say (having gotten firmly entrenched in the RPGA by become a regional Triad-person for Living Greyhawk) is that you will meet a TON of people by joining the RPGA and going to Cons.

Now, you have to take the good with the bad. You WILL meet jerks, but in my experience, I have met FAR more really cool people. When I got back into DnD and went to GenCon 2000, I went with a buddy...and we knew NOBODY there. (Was still fun, though!)

This past year, I went more-or-less solo...and found that I feel like I know EVERYONE when I wander around. It's a cool feeling, and one that I have the RPGA to thank for...

<Cue Piratecat>

-Rugger
"I AmInRealityMattPenningtonBisselTriadGuy!"

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I'm not PC but i've had a wonderfull experience with the RPGA.

I first joined up the RPGA for Gencon 03. PC posted they needed DM's and that you could get ticket re-imbursment so I joined up and Dm'ed the requisit 4 games.

It was great, I got a free roll up square matt, they had tons of extras and someone gave me one. Got some free T-shirts, afree preview mini. A few weeks after Gming I got a "thankyou box" with an eberron preview pamphlet, an Artifact Die with a paperstock board to go with it that told you all of its abilities and powers. And after that I received 40$ of free D&d minis! Something I wasnt even expecting!

I didnt GM for them at Socal, but I did for Winter Fantasy. I signed up to GM 7 sessions. I only ended up Gming 3 because we had no d20modern classic sign ups at all. It was a lot of fun though. For Winter Fantasy dming 7 games I got placed in a 2 room suite. 2 beds, a soft couch. TV in both rooms, etc etc. It was wonderfull.

To top it all off, at almost every convention they do a drawing where judges (GM's) win books. I won 150$ worth of free books!! It was GREAT. (In fact i'm selling 4 of those if anybody wants, half retail, just email me).

The RPGA staff, at each convention I've gone too has always been nice and supportive and helpfull. They were a bit, distracted at Gencon Indy but they had a lot to deal with.

I am looking forward to Dming 7 slots for Gencon Indy and meeting another great roomy/gm this summer. Its a great way to save money and to have fun!

My primary recommendation is take advance care when scheduling your slots.

Rule #1 Never Schedule 8am slots. Its impossible to wake up!

My only gripe with the RPGA, so far, is that they arent as responsive via email as they should be. Lots of emails fall through the cracks, and the DCI/RPGA system merger is not complete yet.

Wombat

First Post
RPGA is great if you are into the Con-scene and want to be a Name GM

Otherwise it is kinda silly and self-serving

Just my experiences (or why I was a member for a year and then quickly bugged out)

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Wombat said:
RPGA is great if you are into the Con-scene and want to be a Name GM

Otherwise it is kinda silly and self-serving

Just my experiences (or why I was a member for a year and then quickly bugged out)
I've walked into a few people yet who have claimed negative experiences with them. We're all entitled to our opinions but perhaps it would be more helpfull to the original poster ifyou were more specific.

Why and How is it silly? Why do you believe its self serving? What caused you to "bug out".

I for one would really like to know.

Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads