So the playtest is out: What do you think? The EN World poll!

What do you tihnk of the playtest package?

• Dunno. I couldn't/can't access it.

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Hated it. It fills me with rage.

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Disliked it. Not what I was hoping for.

Votes: 53 10.0%
  • Meh. I'm ambivalent. On the fence. Neutral. Indifferent.

Votes: 109 20.6%
  • Liked it. Looks like WotC is going in a good direction.

Votes: 275 52.1%
  • Loved it. It fills me with ecstasy and joy.

Votes: 61 11.6%

Kannik

Hero
As expected, there were things I liked the direction of, things I thought could be tweaked better, things I wondered about, things I'm not so sure about, things I miss, and maybe a thing or two I could do without. Sounds perfect for a playtest!

peace,

Kannik

I fall somewhere between dislike and hate, leaning more towards dislike I suppose.

I don't like the retro throwback rules design (and yes, I've played since BESCI on through to 4E), and the seeming lack of rules to the game.

I do like some of it (the idea of the advantage/disadvantage the BASIC idea behind the hit dice mechanic to mention a few), but there was just something about it that puts off not just me, but my entire gaming group.

We didn't have a very good experience with the module, we kept asking about attacks when the monsters would waltz right by the fighter to get to the obvious mage, rolling a 1 on your one and only hit die when you are down to 1 hp after a battle, asking for skills to return in full instead of a modifier to an ability check, etc.

We were expecting "progress" and got "retro" instead.

We didn't like the whole "you play in the theater of the mind or on a map", but then the emphasis on the difficult terrain, the lack of encounter balance, etc.

I know it's just an alpha of the core rules, but it has already left a bad taste in our mouths.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
After having played D&D over the past 33 years it saddens me that all I am going to have left are those fond memories.

My group and I tried this playtest, we got 15 minutes into it and tossed it into the round file.

Please WotC shrivel up and go away, you're only making it worse.

You seem to have a rather extreme opinion.

That's ok.

Thankfully, it seems Dice Gods willing, 5e may actually satisfy a good number of people this time around.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Meh. Had fun running it, but that was a result of the players not the rules. Not a fan of Advantage/Disadvantage. Don't like flat math. Didn't feel I could run an entire campaign (2-3 years) with this rule set. The combination of different play styles included in the playtest was probably the biggest issue. I can run a campaign in any edition of D&D, but this one felt more annoying than anything and that was, I believe, strongly tied to the advantage/disadvantage mechanic. Lose it.

Didn't mind backgrounds and themes, but want feats to return as well.

Magic missile was getting on my nerves as a DM because it was so boring. I'd have rather the wizard have fired a crossbow, at least then it would have been interesting.

Felt I needed to rush through the combats rather than enjoy the nice, natural pace of them. I enjoy 2-3 hour combats as long as they're interesting.

Feeling like I should probably just wait until they come out with the final rules and vote with my wallet. I'd have rather just played BECMI.

Why?

Li Shenron

Legend
I decided to run the risk and vote "loved it" :cool:

Because it's so easy to say "this and that should be fixed" (people say that to every single RPG or edition, in its final form) or "there is room for improvement" (is there ever no room for improvement?), but the truth is that for me this is indeed going in the right direction AND it has enough novelty elements AND is more or less in a wholly usable form* already AND it solves my main problem with 3ed, which is my favourite edition but takes me too much effort to run with the little time I have for gaming.

*meaning that if this was already the published game (besides the limitation to few levels, classes, etc.) I would gladly take it as-is

Lord Malachdrim

First Post
I decided to run the risk and vote "loved it" :cool:

Because it's so easy to say "this and that should be fixed" (people say that to every single RPG or edition, in its final form) or "there is room for improvement" (is there ever no room for improvement?), but the truth is that for me this is indeed going in the right direction AND it has enough novelty elements AND is more or less in a wholly usable form* already AND it solves my main problem with 3ed, which is my favourite edition but takes me too much effort to run with the little time I have for gaming.

*meaning that if this was already the published game (besides the limitation to few levels, classes, etc.) I would gladly take it as-is

I would have to agree with you on most of this. Except for me it's not 3ed but HackMaster 4th Ed.

The Red King

First Post
I like it when I choose the answer that everyone else does! It makes me feel like part of the group!

Yay.

Plus, I liked the play test. It went well with our group of 7 players.

WarlockLord

First Post
The skills rules are Magic Tea Party.

The wizard is useless (save ray of frost) and saddled with arbitrary casting restrictions.

Clerics are god.

The fighter has regressed to Vanilla Action Hero/useless at high levels

Too much DM fiat - how does the trade (for the rogue) work? What do these skills mean? Does natural lore ->natural philosophy -> physics -> build own catapult or not? Could we get a better way to resolve this than bsing the DM?

Why are there six saves if only three are used?

Monsters are made out of HP inflation and arbitrarium.

It's the wrong direction. But I doubt anyone is listening...

Remove ads