• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, this is it.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
I also remember when 4th edition came out,people instantly startted talking about the next edition. Everyone would shut their ears and scream tell people to shut up nothings wrong, there wouldnt be another edition for 10 years or so.I just remembered that and found it quite humorus ESPECIALLY how quickly 4th was dropepd (i :):):):)ing love 4th, let me make that clear)

I don't care how long 5th lasts, because if 6th is better, we'll move to that, and if it isn't, we're sticking to 5th.

There is zero chance of us ever moving to a new edition to "try it out" by jumping in the deep end in a campaign. That was our one big mistake in the 4th ed era, and it's one we're never doing again.

I think 5th ed can last potentially ten years if they get it right and bring Pathfinder and OSR games with a handful of 4th ed ones, who will eventually move on to 13th Age or other similar games, or just give up and join the Dark Side!!! :)

Unwise

Adventurer
Personally, I am just really looking forward to having a more nailed down version of the character rules. Just to know that I won't have to make significant changes to a character anymore would be handy. At the moment, I play a 5e Bard and I know I will have to rebuild my character a lot when the books come out. My previous character was a Dragon Sorcerer which I loved, but I had to abandon when the playtest went in a different direction.

I really like 4e as my group is almost entirely full of tactical players. They love tactical combats and tweaking characters, so it is near perfect.

What I wanted from 5e was a game that I could DM without having to put in hours of work behind the scenes or make a bunch of maps. The main test for me was "Can I play and DM this game while doing the ironing, or looking after the baby?" For me, 5e ticks those boxes very well. I use it for my ad-hoc and casual games.

My main hope is that 5e can have enough tactical and character creation depth to it that my players might be interested in trying it. From what I see at the moment though, that just isn't the case. My group hates any character development along the lines of "You are now a level 5 Paladin, therefore you can now do this". I really hope to be pleasantly surprised.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I got really sick of playtesting, too. There were too many little ideas that were good but not quite there in the early packets that just got tossed out instead of nurtured. I'm not saying that the early packets were better than the later ones, just that I was more excited for the game early on rather than later.

I'm excited for it NOW, but I really hope it's got something that later packets didn't that will make me love it anew. I think I was just burnt out on the playtest process, really.

Sadras

Legend
There are three things that I'm highly excited about: Game of Thrones season 5, the Gotham series which is going to be released (hoping that it is good) and Dungeons and Dragons 5e.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Im excited for 5th edition, but I am still worried about some of the unknowns. Multiclassing had some problems in the playtest and we didnt really get too playtest the warlock or sorcerers. Weapons and armor where terrible in the playtest, and even though they said they where fixing them I have my doubts.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Im excited for 5th edition, but I am still worried about some of the unknowns. Multiclassing had some problems in the playtest and we didnt really get too playtest the warlock or sorcerers. Weapons and armor where terrible in the playtest, and even though they said they where fixing them I have my doubts.
Almost my same concerns word by word, and I have to reserve judgemnet until the books are out. Sorcerer's are one of my favorite classes, but if we are only going to get "turn into a monster" sorcerer and "table disrupter" sorcerer it is as good as not having any, worse until we know if the standard game will have them I can't be sure I'll get to play one, regardless of how good they are.
The same goes for mutliclassing, the one rule present in the playtest prevented lots of legitimate instances of multiclassing while still prone to abuse, my assassin who got sick of being an assassin needs to spend more than half the campaign doing assassin stuff before being allowed to change his ways, but the powergamed pc next to him can freely pick levels from any class without losing a single feat. And as an optional rule it fails to take into account that pre 4e ability score generation is one of the most common dials that get houseruled between campaigns, and that wanting lower ability scores has nothing to do with liking multiclassing or not.
And lets not get startedbwith humans, I really hope they found a way to balance them without the blanket +1 to everything. And weapons, will whips and sickles be a available? What about halberds? And armor, howit will work? What about planetouched? Will I need to wait for an oscure splatbook long in the edition cycle that noone will know about or accept in the table for it? Lots and lots of minor concerns that sume up. I know the core game is solid, but if only cared about the core I wouldn't have a reason to care about the edition.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Sorcerers are one of my favorite classes, but if we are only going to get "turn into a monster" sorcerer and "table disrupter" sorcerer it is as good as not having any, worse until we know if the standard game will have them I can't be sure I'll get to play one, regardless of how good they are

I'm not sure what you mean by the text I bolded.

If by "standard game" you mean the Basic game, then no, sorcerers will not be in the standard.

If by "standard game" you mean in the PH(B), then yes, they will be in the standard game.

If by "standard game" you mean, in the PH(B) but not labeled "optional", then I expect they won't meet your definition of being in the "standard game".

I think everything in the Basic Game will be core/standard, and everything else will be optional. That's the way the tea leaves look to me.

Thaumaturge.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm not sure what you mean by the text I bolded.

If by "standard game" you mean the Basic game, then no, sorcerers will not be in the standard.

If by "standard game" you mean in the PH(B), then yes, they will be in the standard game.

If by "standard game" you mean, in the PH(B) but not labeled "optional", then I expect they won't meet your definition of being in the "standard game".

I think everything in the Basic Game will be core/standard, and everything else will be optional. That's the way the tea leaves look to me.

Thaumaturge.
By standard I mean the supported core in OP. In my experience what is alpowed in a convention shapes the standard of an edition for people playing with strangers, and I sincerely hope it goes beyond just the basic game. In the past I have seen books beyond this standard being easily marginalized when hunting por people to play with, to date my copy of 3.5 tome of magic hasn't seen any actual use, because it falls outside the standard. If the 60% of the phb not in basic won't see any organized play action, then that is money best spent elsewhere -in my case at least-.
Also early in the playteat they mentioned thebasic/standard/advanced divide, while restricting content for published adventures to just the basic game actually increases the public that gets to consume them, organized play in the other hand gets wotc the more money the more it impulses people to buy the phb, without support for anything in the phb not in the basic game there is no incentive to buy into the edition for someone in my position. Advanced is obviously the field of home groups who want that complexity and can afford to tailor it to their needs, basic is for people who only consume published adventures and can't afford to tinker with it too much. Players without a stable group need a standard set of assumptions when dealing with official events and each other, what I read back then implied the standard game would be more extense than just the basic game, but I have heard nothing about it in a long time. Perhpas thi g have changed since then

Last edited:

oxybe

Explorer
After seeing the revealed character sheet and how rather boring the fighter looks (although i will admit, this is the bare-bones simple fighter) it doesn't immediately make me want to throw cash at the game. Going to go on a limb and guess that this is probably going to be the fighter we see in the Basic game, i'm already turned off 1/4 classes available in the "free" version.

But the more I see revealed, the more a little voice tells me "you did right hoping for the best but expecting the worst". I was hoping 5th ed would end up dethroning the current king TTRPG of my area (pathfinder, which I'm not a fan of) while also being a game I could download the free pdf and enjoy.

Currently it looks like Pathfinder probably isn't going anywhere in my area as there is no hype whatsoever in my FLGS for 5th, not that it matters since i'll probably not be getting 5th based on what i've seen leaked.

Still, I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope one of my fellows at the table splurges for it so I can read the final version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads