• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So Torn! WoW of CoV?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Alright, so I just upgraded my computer so it can play the *good* games. I already ordered Dragonshard. I will be picking up The Movies next week. But I want one more, and I want an MMORPG. the thing is, I don't know whether to get WoW or CoV.

I have never played WoW, but every time I read about it, it mnakes me salivate. I have played CoH, and quite enjoyed it, but stopped because I couldn't dedicate enough time to it to justify the monthly expense. I just don't know.

Help me waste many hours of my life!

Wystan

Explorer
World of Warcraft is VERY casual friendly. :)
Just remember to take up Mining and Skinning and Sell all the ore and leather at the AH.
Copper Ore - 25-40 Silver per 10
Light Leather - 12-25 Silver per 10

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
City of Heroes/Villains is more casual-friendly than WoW, but it's very, very thin. The stuff you're doing by level 10? That's all there is in the game, really, other than a few more powers, capes and costume changes.

Now, if you like it, rock on. But you will run out of things to do at some point.

World of Warcraft, in contrast, has a lot more going on, including oodles more quests (which can be very different from CoH missions), very different experiences based on the races, raid content, dungeon instances (probably the best part of the game), multiple PVP experiences (all much more complex than the free for all zones in CoV) and professions (tradeskills).

Both are relatively friendly to on again/off again playing, but WoW does suck more time from you than CoH does. (I have a bunch of MMORPG newbie friends who started with CoH then migrated to WoW. Quite a few found WoW too overwhelming for them, while others decided WoW's comparative depth was much more appealing over the long term.)

(And yes, there are super-duper time-intensive MMORPGs out there. WoW is only time-intensive relative to CoH. Compared to EverQuest and the like, it's very casual-friendly.)

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Thanee said:
WoW is definitely a very good game and worth a look. Isn't there some sort of demo available?
Not that i can find and that's the reason i still haven't bought it, not that it's that expensive to buy, but rather i want to be 'sure' before i plunge head first into the whole monthly scheme thing...

KenM

Banned
Banned
Thanee said:
WoW is definitely a very good game and worth a look. Isn't there some sort of demo available?

Bye
Thanee

MMORPG's usally can't do demos. They do have free trials from now and then thou.

Krug

Newshound
Cergorach said:
Not that i can find and that's the reason i still haven't bought it, not that it's that expensive to buy, but rather i want to be 'sure' before i plunge head first into the whole monthly scheme thing...

Blizzard just sent out 10 day guest invites. If you know a friend who has the software and currently playing, you might be able to give it a go.

Thanee

First Post
KenM said:
MMORPG's usally can't do demos. They do have free trials from now and then thou.

Yeah, trial, that was what I meant, actually. :)

Some random fact I noticed recently... WoW is still full price here, while EQ2 is on the budget list for a fraction of its original price. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Aaron L

Hero
WoW pretty thouroughly trounced EQ2. I remember my EQ guild all atwitter about moving to EQ2 when it came out, and then it went *plonk* not long after because the game stank. MOst of them are on WoW now I think.

WingOver

First Post
Retail boxes of WOW come with a 10-day trial key. That's how I got sucked in. :p
I resisted playing it until most of my friends were playing. They brought the game over, installed it, and gave me a trial key and I've been hooked ever since.

The only bad thing about the trial version is that you can't swap money/items with anyone so I bought the retail version before the 10 days was up. When I checked the invoice, they gave me the remaining days of the trial for free so I didn't lose out. :)

Remove ads