• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So we're expecting a baby...

Scratched_back

First Post
Hi all,

My girlfriend is currently eight and a half months pregnant. The due-date is August 10th, which happily, is also my birthday. We've been told there's a very good chance (although hospitals in the UK are no longer allowed to tell people the gender with certainty) that we'll be having a little girl. If so, she'll be named Indie.

Fantasy has always been a passion of mine, I read 'The Hobbit' when I was eight and I've been hooked ever since. Luckily, I grew up with a bunch of friends that were also interested in this kind of thing. Naturally, our hobbies progressed from computer games, to Games Workshop, to D&D. Some of my friends would be regarding as 'Geeky' (if I can use such a term on Blessed Ground such as this) and people have commented previously that they could be deemed so because of their hobbies.

Now, I've worked in an RPG store on and off for six years now, and I have to note (although obviously, slightly biased) that the average intelligence of a gamer seems to outshine the average intelligence of the local populas. If that's the case, the term 'geek' is rendered utterly irrelevant and laughable. I've pondered before the possible correlation between imagination and intelligence, is this something others have evere thought about?

To the crux of the problem; my girlfriend and I have talked about bringing up our first child on gaming. It'd be very easily to implement as kids rely so much on their parents for guidance and inspiration. The way I see it, one minute I'd be slogging through 'Lord of the Rings' as a bed time story, the next minute I'd be buying her very first set of (pink?) dice. How many of you fellow ENWorlders have kids? How many of you encourage your kids to follow in your footsteps in this manner? We hear so bloody much about 'Leave people to make their own choices' and 'Don't push your hobbies/thoughts/beliefs onto others!' these days - about anything! - that I almost feel strangely guilty leading my child-to-be down this irreversible and addictive path of roleplaying!

I read in one thread here once (although I can't remember names) of one guy who DM'd for his kids, that really plucked at my heartstrings, talk about quality time together!

So what I see is it'd be an enjoyable hobby for her, a mind-expanding exercise, a hobby that her and I could spend time together on and the trade off for this is possibly having other kids call her a geek.

I know this post is long enough already so I'll leave it there, what do you all think of that?

As ever, thanks for reading. :heh:

EDIT: Cleaned up my faulty keyboard's mistakes, heheh.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
While I have no children of my own (and have no plans for any) I do remember being a child. What I remember most is:

Anything my parents wanted me to do was something I didn't want to do. Ever.

Congrats on your impending fatherhood! I've got four girls myself, ages 3, 7, 9, and 13, and we have a family game every so often, using the D&D Basic boxed set (for 3.5E). My wife and I are avid gamers, and we're both heavily into the fantasy genre. As a result, the girls have their own dice, stuffed dragons, dragon posters, and love the Harry Potter books and movies. They're not into gaming as much as we'd like, but they enjoy a family game now and then, and they really like playing with the D&D minis as toys. In short, if you and your girlfriend enjoy this stuff, your kid can't help but be exposed...if it appeals to her, she'll get into it. If not, you can always have more kids! :p

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Your kids' interest will dictate what path they follow.

I have a 3-year old and an almost-2-year old (both boys).

All we've done at this point is look at minis and pictures, and I've decided there's nothing more cute than a 20-month old saying "Glabrezu". :D

reveal

Adventurer
DaveMage said:
All we've done at this point is look at minis and pictures, and I've decided there's nothing more cute than a 20-month old saying "Glabrezu". :D

Personally, I prefer a 3 year old singing "We are the champions, no time for woosers." ;)

fuindordm

Adventurer
Congratulations!

Being a parent is awesome, but that takes a while to sink in. Don't freak out if you feel scared, overwhelmed, or even distant for the first few weeks; parental bonding sometimes takes that long (just as often for moms as for dads). Once you get into the swing of things, you'll find that it just keeps getting better and better--every few months you'll pause and realize that you're having more fun together than you ever imagined you could.

As for gaming... my own daughter is 3, but I don't think she's ready for role-playing yet--or maybe I'm just too lazy. I'll set up a Rel-style adventure this month and see how she takes to it. But every kid gets interested in different things at different times, and they can get very focused. This month she spends all her time dancing and twirling in the living room, another month she practices with her legoes, etc.

I would say, first tell her stories. Tell her lots and lots of stories--read books, and make up some of your own using dolls and toys as props to show her that it can be done. Then, depending on how her language skills develop (another thing that varies widely from kid to kid, depending on how interested they are), make the stories more complicated and introduce choices that she can make.

As for games, we play concentration (paired tiles face down, try to find the matches), dominoes, war, and jigsaw puzzles. A few months ago we tried a simple board game but she wasn't quite getting it. Young kids usually want to participate physically, and a game where they just sit and move a little token around is too frustrating.

In any case, I fully agree--stories and games, as much as she likes. But follow her interests, and don't push. They all come to the same place in time.

Ben

reveal

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
I find the very thought of fatherhood positively frightening. :confused:

So did I. I was scared and not sure at all I was ready to be a dad until... the moment I saw my son born. My wife had a C-section. They lifted him up and that's the moment I finally decided I was ready. It was an amazing moment. :D

Remove ads