• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what are the thoughts on the RPGA?

darjr

I crit!
The My Realms adventures are a really great idea. I've got a few ideas on that front.

There is one other nice side affect. In one of the RPGA groups around here (really there are two across several stores) has a lot of fans of all kinds of living campaigns. So there are opportunities for other games and other D&D 4e living campaigns.

Holy Smokes

First Post
If you have the Character Builder available for chargen, the Living Forgotten Realms character guidelines are implemented as a campaign profile. I downloaded the official RPGA documentation, but never really read it in detail; the LFR campaign option in the CB is all I need for legal LFR chargen.

There may be a small number of truly exceptional corner cases that the CB fails to capture correctly, and you have to wait for the CB updates to get the latest crunch, but within these limits is almost bullet-proof. Not that any LFR DM has ever asked to look at, much less audit, my character sheet.., evar.

;)

If you're a frequent LFR player, odds are good you know where you can get the +2 vicious weapon.)

My very first LFR game turned out to be that very mod; just my swordmage's dumb luck (even if he did have to wait several levels before getting to use it).

kitsune9

Adventurer
Wow!

For the Living Forgotten Realms campaign we have even introduced what we call "My Realms" adventures, where a DM can create his own homebrew adventure to entertain the players and focus on whatever plot, topic, or style suits his or her (or his or her players') wishes. These can be used to bring a "home game" feel to an RPGA campaign.

This feels like what Living Eberron used to do called DM Marks? The RPGA put out a general story line but it was up to the DM to "fill in the blanks". Whatever they did, could then be reported for ARs. I like that additional creativity as you could have a homegame but earn ARs on the character.

Thanlis

Explorer
This feels like what Living Eberron used to do called DM Marks? The RPGA put out a general story line but it was up to the DM to "fill in the blanks". Whatever they did, could then be reported for ARs. I like that additional creativity as you could have a homegame but earn ARs on the character.

It's a little bit more open than that. My Realms in a nutshell: "Write a Forgotten Realms adventure; you can use monsters and skill challenges worth up to X experience. (Y if you're running it at high tier.) You should have so many fights and so many skill challenges. Don't rewrite existing modules."

Players get experience and gold as per usual. The magic item reward option is 1 magic item up to the level of the PC, but not above.

It is a completely awesome idea.

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
I ran the Crimson Codex faction of Xen'drik Expeditions (Living Eberron), and you are absolutely correct. My Realms adventures are a variation on the DM's Mark from XE. My Realms adventures do give the DM creating them a lot more freedom and flexibility regarding what to include in the adventures and how many can be run, but the concept is the same.

Shawn

darjr

I crit!
One rule I'd wish they would change about the My Realms adventures is to allow folks to post them.

Or barring that maybe allow people to request them the way they do current mods.

darjr

I crit!
One other thing, If your group isn't, for whatever reason, compatible, or you don't have a group, you could start your own. Find a FLGS that doesn't have a group and talk to them about hosting events.

N0Man

First Post
I'm mixed on RPGA.

It's been a great way to meet other players, and to get more practice at simply playing and strengthening one's grasp of mechanics.

RPGA play has corrected my understanding of a few rules.

I haven't had a good roleplay experience from RPGA, and it often feels more like playing an MMO. Rush through the encounters and collect the loot and hope you get closer to leveling up, with no long-term character meaning. Sometimes some hack and slash can be fun too, but sometimes I want more.

I feel skill challenges especially wanting in my RPGA experience. They often feel tacked into the adventure in a contrived way. They really just don't end up being interesting or fun in practice, at least in the RPGA format. They really break down into a "ok, here's the part of the game where we figure out who has the highest skill, let them roll, and 4 people assist.

The new MyRealms format could be very promising though. Conceptually, it sounds fantastic, but I haven't got to see it executed.

I'd definitely suggest at least giving it a try, for some of the benefits I listed already (game familiarity and networking to meet players... and it's better than not playing at all, even when it's munchkiny hack and slash)

Shazman

Banned
Banned
That's a good way to sum it up. Generally, you won't find a lot of roleplay opportunities, and the skill challenges do feel a bit contrived. I have seen a skill challenge that was well done. You didn't even know it was a skill challenge. You just had a goal, and everyone did their part, using their strengths to overcome an obtacle. The worst is when it basically come down to " Here are the skill you can use. You need x successes before y failures". The less DM input on skill challenges, the more realistic they feel. The main benefit of playing in Living campaigns is that you can go anywhere running adventures for those campaigns, and know that your character will be able to play, and know that a consistant set of rules will be used. You don't have to worry about houserules, or what this or that DM will allow. You already know the rules and regulations that you and everyone else should abide by.

Remove ads