So... what do you do with fairies?

Raven Crowking

First Post
There are actually quite a few folktales that contain elements that make it seem as though the fey find us as mysterious as we find them. Part of that is, of course, our creativity....but part of that may also be that we seem to rely upon different "rules" when getting things done. The solutions that occur to humans often simply do not occur to faeries. Since the solutions that faeries employ often would not work for humans, we might guess that many "normal" solutions to problems simply do not work for the fey.

RC

Aus_Snow said:
Yes.

In fact, it seems to be common to many mythological beings. . . and others. Whether it's demons, 'the Devil', angels, faeries, aliens or a number of other fantastical folk, creativity (presumably courtesy of 'the human soul' -- allegedly a unique thing) appears to be lacking in anything that isn't um. . . human.

Arrogant much? :)
I don't really think that's particularly arrogant. Mythology frequently gives almost every advantage to the other, how many creatures are physically stronger, faster, and more magically potent that humans? How many of them have special powers? How many live much longer than humans?

Almost all of them. Creativity happens to be the one thing humans kept for themselves in their stories.

Fieari

Explorer
On the note of giving other creatures all kinds of advantages that humans don't have, but keeping at least something for the humans, I think the most potent in my mind is the story of the Little Mermaid. NOT Disney's version.

In the actual story, the merpeople live hundreds of years and then die, but envy the humans who live a much shorter time but then live forever, possessing a soul... and the reason the Little Mermaid tries to win the love of the prince is less that she's in love with him (though she is) but because if he loves her, she'll share his soul and live forever, unlike all the other merfolk.

Now wouldn't that be a fascinating thing to stick into a D&D game. An NPC desperately trying to get a PC to fall in love with her so that she can die and not just fade away, no longer possessing any existance at all, but instead have an afterlife.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Moonstone Spider said:
I don't really think that's particularly arrogant. Mythology frequently gives almost every advantage to the other, how many creatures are physically stronger, faster, and more magically potent that humans? How many of them have special powers? How many live much longer than humans?

Almost all of them. Creativity happens to be the one thing humans kept for themselves in their stories.

I love the way Doctor Who blabbers about this fact too - Human Beings marvelous because of their creativity - so yeah it seems to be the standard folktale of humanity

I wonder how much of this perception comes from collective memory. Other races which once occupied the Earth (like Neanderthals) were geographically restricted and not as adaptive as the homo sapiens who (as we know) have spread to occupy every space on the planet (and beyond???!!)

Anyway I agree with the Pratchett suggestions above and also think that Doctor Who makes a good model for Sidhe behaviour

RedWick

First Post
Check out a book called "Meeting the Other Crowd" by Eddie Lenihan. It's full of contemporary fairy stories from Ireland and does a good job of showing their alien mindset. Some of the stories are downright scary.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The best plot I have worked out so far that dealt with faeries...

The PCs "home base" town built a giant dam to run its industry. This caused a valley to fill with water, killing all the vegetation in the valley and running off the wildlife to the edges of the valley. This valley was home to a dryad who swore vengeance on the PCs town for killing her tree. It was an Undead Dryad/Corrupted Druid with an army of angry psychotic animals trying to destroy the town.

Yes...it was influenced by Princess Mononoke.

DS

painandgreed

First Post
I wanted to make elves and fey different than just humans with pointed ears, so I did two things, I made them lawful and made the importance of the law vrs chaos axis more important than good vrs evil. This seems to make the actions of various elves and fey strange enough to not match up with humans and even give some reason for distrust.

They are lawful because their lives are completly guided by sets of rules and traditions that they follow. These rules and traditions are convoluted and often have no meaning to humans so they can seem chaotic, especially if they have no knowledge of what the rules may be. A human may befriend a fey and everything will go great until at some moment, the fey will turn on him and attack. To the human it seems chaotic, but in reality, the human accidently made a mortal insult to the fey due to some rule that he had no knowledge of. Since, according to the rules, ignorance of the rules is no excuse (because if they don't know the rules, they must be of chaos), there is no real leway given to those who breech them. However, a human who knows a little of the rules, can interact with them fairly safely, at least in certain situations, such as going to the Fey Market.

Fey and elves, being originally created to combat chaos in the form of Lovecraftian gods and their servitor races, value law more than good. This is pretty much the opposite of how human society functions many times where two good people can work together despite one being lawful and another chaotic. In the fey and elven cultures, good and evil are seen as personal choices and do not come into play much inrelationships as long as things follow the rules. A good elf may regret having to commit an evil action if that is what the law commands, but law is seen as the more important driving force in the grand scheme of things (similarly, evil elves may be required to commit good actions).

The unseelie are the fey and elves that have become unlawful (choatic or neutral). Some have given themselves over to darker gods while other simply value freedom. It would probably include any elf that grew up in human culture and followed their ways. it also includes some elves who desire to follow law but when finding themselves in a moral catch-22, declare themselves unseelie and leave their society because it would be the only option left open to them. Unseelie are typcially hunted and killed by the seelie to protect the world from the forces of chaos.

Remove ads