D&D 5E (+) So, what have you done to make martials feel better?

NotAYakk

Legend
Give every PC a power source as part of character creation, or in T1. This is why the PC is capable of gaining levels and reaching demigod levels of power in a single campaign.

This is true of every PC - Wizards, Warlocks, Sorcerers, Fighters, Rangers, etc.

The character may not know what the power source is (hidden destiny), or might know. That is fluff.

Then attach cool stuff to the Power Source x Class combination.

Note that, as the Power Source justifies your ability to gain class levels, this requires that the Power Source actually justify it if you multiclass. Or you, in game play, gain access to another Power Source.

It is 1000% easier to justify cool non-combat abilities/boons for the destined reborn king than it is for a random fighter.

This does mean that "I'm just a mercenary who is just that tough" isn't a character concept that works. But that is true; "just a town guard" isn't a demigod just because they killed a few dozen orcs and lived to tell the tale. In that case, it is my job as the DM to power-source up the "just a tough dude" in play.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Just a gentle reminder: this is a (+) thread, so let’s keep focused on positives and please minimize the snark.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Not strictly relevant to 5e perhaps, but here's how I run OD&D fighters these days:

LevelXP RequiredLevel TitleHPTHAC0SaveSpecial AbilitiesChainmail Combat
1st0Veteran81914Set Spear Maneuver1 Man +1
2nd2,000Warrior121914Lance Charge Maneuver2 Men +1
3rd4,000Swordsman161813Improved Parry Maneuver3 Men or Hero −1
4th8,000Hero201713Heroic Fray4 Men or Hero
5th16,000Swashbuckler241712Improved Disarm Maneuver5 Men or Hero +1
6th32,000Gladiator281611Smash Maneuver6 Men or Hero +1
7th64,000Champion321511Multiple Attacks (3 / 2 rounds)7 Men or Superhero −1
8th125,000Superhero361410Sweep Attack8 Men or Superhero
9th250,000Lord*401310Detect Invisible within 30'9 Men or Superhero +1
10th500,000Overlord44129Frightful Presence10 Men or Superhero +1

* Lordship permits the fighter to build a castle, raise an army, clear a fiefdom, and attract a taxable peasantry.

(And it's worth noting that every special ability or combat maneuver that I've spread out over ten levels is something that old-school fighters already have in some form or another; it's just that they're normally concentrated at levels 1 and 7–9.)

I don't use DCC "Mighty Deeds of Arms"; but I do use the OSR blogsphere's "super simple combat maneuvers" method (because it's extremely simple, naturally self-regulating, and it's usable by all classes, but since it's based on the normal attack and damage mechanics, fighters are always going to be better at it). Though I do call them stunts to distinguish them from the defined maneuvers that fighters get at various experience levels.

A healthy spread of defined maneuvers that are either fighter-exclusive or that fighters are just plain better at, plus the aforementioned system of freeform stunts that fighters are also just plain better at, goes a long way to keeping things more interesting in combat than just "I hit, roll damage." And as for out-of-combat, when the wizards are throwing around cool spells… that old melody always comes backs to warm the cockles of my cold, dead heart: castle, army, fiefdom, peasants, that scream from Zep's "Immigrant Song"!

Last edited:

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
Not strictly relevant to 5e perhaps, but here's how I run OD&D fighters these days:

LevelXP RequiredLevel TitleHPTHAC0SaveSpecial AbilitiesChainmail Combat
1st0Veteran81914Set Spear Maneuver1 Man +1
2nd2,000Warrior121914Lance Charge Maneuver2 Men +1
3rd4,000Swordsman161813Improved Parry Maneuver3 Men or Hero −1
4th8,000Hero201713Heroic Fray4 Men or Hero
5th16,000Swashbuckler241712Improved Disarm Maneuver5 Men or Hero +1
6th32,000Gladiator281611Smash Maneuver6 Men or Hero +1
7th64,000Champion321511Multiple Attacks (3 / 2 rounds)7 Men or Superhero −1
8th125,000Superhero361410Sweep Attack8 Men or Superhero
9th250,000Lord*401310Detect Invisible within 30'9 Men or Superhero +1
10th500,000Overlord44129Frightful Presence10 Men or Superhero +1

* Lordship permits the fighter to build a castle, raise an army, clear a fiefdom, and attract a taxable peasantry.

(And it's worth noting that every special ability or combat maneuver that I've spread out over ten levels is something that old-school fighters already have in some form or another; it's just that they're normally concentrated at levels 1 and 7–9.)

I don't use DCC "Mighty Deeds of Arms"; but I do use the OSR blogsphere's "super simple combat maneuvers" method (because it's extremely simple, naturally self-regulating, and it's usable by all classes, but since it's based on the normal attack and damage mechanics, fighters are always going to be better at it). Though I do call them stunts to distinguish them from the defined maneuvers that fighters get at various experience levels.

A healthy spread of defined maneuvers that are either fighter-exclusive or that fighters are just plain better at, plus the aforementioned system of freeform stunts that fighters are also just plain better at, goes a long way to keeping things more interesting in combat than just "I hit, roll damage." And as for out-of-combat, when the wizards are throwing around cool spells… that old melody always comes backs to warm the cockles of my cold, dead heart: castle, army, fiefdom, peasants, that scream from Zep's "Immigrant Song"!
I posted that OSR blog article when I found it a little ways back, and the more I think about it the more I like it. I think I might replace mighty deeds with it just because it’s so got dang elegant.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I posted that OSR blog article when I found it a little ways back, and the more I think about it the more I like it. I think I might replace mighty deeds with it just because it’s so got dang elegant.
I agree that it is elegant, but IMO, you'd probably need to change more for it to work with the fighter. The problem with the fighter is that they don't typically do a heck of a lot of damage with any individual hit.

Would the 100+ HP dragon like to take 10 damage or be shot through the wing and be forced to land? If my dragon has more than 10 hp remaining, then I (as the DM) will always opt for taking the damage (unless I'm simply giving the fighter a pass).

Rogues, otoh, would be pretty good at dishing out special effects via this rule, but would probably just opt to deal damage rather than stunt (unless the stunt is simply a "how do you want to finish him" style thing where you force the guard against the wall instead of killing him).

My first thought for the fighter is adding a feature that, when stunting, makes the proposal either the stunt, or a multiple of the normal damage.

Weapon Master
When you declaring a stunt, you may use this ability. If the target opts to take the damage instead of the effect, they take double damage. At 5th level this increases to triple damage. At 11th level it increases to quadruple damage. At 17th level it increases to quintuple damage. After using this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency modifier, you cannot use it again until after you take a long rest.

Otherwise, you're basically adding a module to the game that (numerous) other classes are better at taking advantage of, which makes it anything other than a fighter buff (IMO). The above proposed fighter ability actively pushes the fighter player to use the stunt module, since even if the creature opts to take the damage, it's more damage than they would have otherwise taken.

Remove ads