• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what is the difference between Gamma World d20 and Darwin's World?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I own most of the Darwin's World library, and little of the Gamma World D20 products... that said:

Darwin's World is still being actively produced, supported, expanded. RPGObjects has posted recently that they have a fellow who is doing a True20 conversion. Darwin's World has also published a bunch of adventures. Darwin's World has had most of its products and expansions put out as .pdf oly.

Gamma World D20 has had much more hardcover products published. The license has expired and returned to WotC I have heard.

[bias alert] I'm a huge fan of Darwin's World stuff and can't get enough. I would love more regional supplements of Twisted Earth though.

Last edited:

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
My personal opinion?

Darwin's World II: good stuff.

Gamma World: Bad case of Teh Suck

IMHO, if you want to run a gamma world game, get one of the older boxed sets, and use the Darwin's World II mechanics. Just play in the old Gamma World game setting.

pawsplay

Hero
I would buy older GW stuff and convert it myself before delving into the new GW. Bad mechanics, unfun setting, barely compatible with other d20 stuff.

Darwin's World is kind of goofy and a little retro in spots, but is not a bad product. I find it less compelling than homebrew stuff, but you might feel otherwise.

d20 Apocalypse has some junk in it, but also some good stuff.

Masada

First Post
Darwin's World has hundreds of pages of material and is still being published. The authors regularly check this board and their own. New material comes out regularly.

Cosmetically there is little flavor difference between the two. Of the folks I've seen post, most like the mutation system of DW over GW--even over the new d20 Apocolypse mutation rules.

Some of the DW stuff is available for free from RPGO and RPGNow. You should be able to compare directly yourself.

Psion

Adventurer
The Gamma World GM guide is decent, and you might consider picking it up even if you decide to run Darwin's World. But I think that DW has a lot more depth in its game material. GW does have a few good ideas, it's main sin being departing from the traditional GW.

Tetsubo

First Post
I own all but one Gamma World book (every edition). I love Gamma World with all my gamer's heart. But Darwin's World is a better product. My one dislike about DW is that it might be a bit too grim.

I still love 4th edition GW though...

pawsplay

Hero
buzz said:
The difference is that Darwin's World is worth buying and Gamma World d20 is not.

That's not the only difference. If someone gave them to you for free, DW is worth keeping and GW is not. :)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Warlord Ralts said:
Darwin's World II: good stuff.

Gamma World: Bad case of Teh Suck

I couldn't be more succinct than that.

I thought the GM's Guide to Gamma World wasn't as bad as the rest of the products in the line...but honestly, that's pretty faint priase.

Darwin's World 2 by contrast was a startling huge and cool improvemnt over their first edition (itself a pretty credible game...but nothing compared to the current edition)...and they've just kept at it.

The amount of stuff they give away on their site for it is huge, they release stuff constantly, it's well-written, fun to play and really gets the feel of post-apocalypse fiction.

That said, it's not a whole lot like Gamma World (any edition). Gamma World always seemed kind of "Goofy" (And I mean that in the absolute best sense of the term).

Darwin's World hews a little closer to "Grim" than "Goofy"

Last edited:

Remove ads