So what is your favorite module, ever?

00Machado

First Post
For D&D/d20, I think my group had more fun playing Beyond the Veil than I've seen anyone have in a long time. Runners up would be Forge of Fury, and Ravenloft. I'm tempted to say Red Hand of Doom, but so far, I've only read it, not run it. I think it will take top spot once I have though.

Non D&D I can narrow down to:
Starfall for d6 Star Wars
and
Isle of the Dead for Chill

sydbar

Explorer
What makes UK2/3 - The Sentinal/Gauntlet so great is the players start looking for a crazy (some times kills, some times doesn't) skulk, and ends up working to defeat an old plot that would allow the small but easily defendable country to fall to their enemies. The Sentinal is about the hunt for the crazy skulk, going from one mini adventure to the next, and so on till you find the crazy skulk. The Gauntlet is about the attempt to defeat the old plot, and spends most of the players time on a infiltration, search and defend mission.

Allensh

Explorer
Favorite D&D module that I have run is probably 2nd editions version of "Against The Giants: The Liberation of Geoff" which I ran for 3rd edition at our local gaming club a few years back.

One of my all-time favorite non-D&D modules was "A Doomsday Like Any Other" for the FASA Star Trek RPG, because I had a great crew for that one all three times I ran it.

Allen

T. Foster

First Post
Favorite:
Griffin Mountain (RuneQuest)

Runners-up:
Masks of Nyarlathotep (Call of Cthulhu)
"Lords of Thunder" (MegaTraveller)
Necropolis (Dangerous Journeys: Mythus)
Shadows Over Bogenhafen & Death on the Reik (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay)
The Abduction of Good King Despot (generic)
Caverns of Thracia (D&D)
EX1: Dungeonland & EX2: The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (AD&D)
S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (AD&D)
B1: In Search of the Unknown (D&D)
X1: The Isle of Dread (D&D)

grodog

Hero
The Shaman said:
Non-TSR D&D: Lost Abbey of Calthonwey

Gaaah! How did I forget that in my list?! Thanks for the reminder, The Shaman! :D

00Machado said:
Philotomy Jurament said:
Probably The Village of Hommlet. Tough call, though.
How is this different than ToEE (besides being shorter)? Is the storyline different?

I've heard things along those lines, but don't have a copy of it. If the storyline is different, where would you have wanted it to go that the published ToEE didn't take it?

This is a worthy discussion that could derail this into a completely different thread, so I'll be brief: T1 as published alone offered a lot of potential that T1-4 never delivered on; this was, in part, caused by the ms. handoff from EGG to Frank Mentzer, who completed the module without being able to complete the original vision that Gygax outlined/created. No fault of Frank's, he just didn't have all of the info that Gary had wanted to include/write in his head, like Gary did. This shift is likely what accounts for many of the continuity differences in the T1-4 book vs. T1.

Last edited:

BroccoliRage

First Post
Allensh said:
Favorite D&D module that I have run is probably 2nd editions version of "Against The Giants: The Liberation of Geoff" which I ran for 3rd edition at our local gaming club a few years back.

How did that go? What levels were the characters?

Melan

Explorer
Dark Tower, for both concept and execution, wins it for me. The runner up would be Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan; for pretty much the same reasons.

Remove ads