• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Why Can't 5E Get a Video Game?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I'd like to see a good D&D video game. But I don't think it can be done with 5E mechanics. However, that still doesn't mean there can't be a good D&D game based loosely on the system.

LapBandit

First Post
I write software for a living, and can say 5e would make for the easiest version of D&D to program so far. You could get a Unity game out pretty quick with just the SRD content. I'm not sure why people think the easiest version to play so far and the best rules would make for hard video game development. I've read heavily about the development of NWN (not the MMO) and a lot of their problems came from wanting to do everything in simulated real-time but they figured it out. Hell, the graphics engine of that game was written in TWO WEEKS by one guy.

Kalshane

First Post
My brother and I were just talking how we'd love to see something like Temple of Elemental Evil made for 5th Ed (though, obviously, less buggy.) Turn-based, near-perfect rules replication (to the point of having a single page of "house rules" listing the differences in the back of the manual) and exploration of a classic D&D adventure.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
My brother and I were just talking how we'd love to see something like Temple of Elemental Evil made for 5th Ed (though, obviously, less buggy.) Turn-based, near-perfect rules replication (to the point of having a single page of "house rules" listing the differences in the back of the manual) and exploration of a classic D&D adventure.

Quoted for truth.

Staccat0

First Post
If they made a turn-based game like the OG gold box games using 5e mechanics, I would be happy forever.

Basically take X-Com or Invisible Inc but use D&D mechanics and an RPG overworld with dialogue trees. You'd think I was suggesting something crazy if they didn't unveil a freaking Mario game along these lines at e3 a month ago.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Did 4e get a game? It seems made for it and I was looking forward to one but I don't recall anything other than neverwinter. I'd have wanted something a little more tactical like neverwinter nights 2 but with the 4e ruleset. I reckon that would have been sweet.

They did, in the form of Neverwinter Online. Ironically, while I quite like it, it is a horrendous representation of 4e. Turns out, 4e isn't as easy to translate to video game as 3.5 was!

Or they missed the point.

But yeah, you don't get very many choices once you choose your class...which is literally the opposite of what 4e fans like about 4e. Lol

Anyway, I'd love for a revamp update of Dungeons and Dragons Online with streamlined mechanics based on 5e. It's a total pipe dream, but I would get a year's sub right now if that came out.

Outside the realm of MMOs, I would love something like a "spiritual successor" to Baldur's Gate.

But it I think the best bet might be to get the Critical Role crew involved, and make it a story set in their world. Seriously, CR is fracking huge right now. Between that, how big DnD is getting in general, and if they could get obsidian and the funding to make a good modern rpg, it would sell like the latest bioware thing always does.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
WotC has a long history of pairing up with crappy 3rd party media studios. It always struck me as a scenario where they were just looking to quickly monetize the IP rather than invest in quality. It's like there's some mandate that every D&D game needs to somehow emulate the tabletop experience in some way first and foremost. Compare that to Baldur's Gate where it was simply a great story that happened to use a lot of the AD&D 2E mechanics, and the difference should become a bit obvious.

Unfortunately, the best we get is Neverwinter, which is just a Korean Grinder with D&D licensing kicked in.

discosoc

First Post
I write software for a living, and can say 5e would make for the easiest version of D&D to program so far. You could get a Unity game out pretty quick with just the SRD content. I'm not sure why people think the easiest version to play so far and the best rules would make for hard video game development. I've read heavily about the development of NWN (not the MMO) and a lot of their problems came from wanting to do everything in simulated real-time but they figured it out. Hell, the graphics engine of that game was written in TWO WEEKS by one guy.

I chalk it up to people just not really having a clue how the stuff works. For a lot of these guys, a "game engine" is a magical entity to which anything they don't understand gets attributed. The most recent example I've seen is with the Mass Effect games, and how Turians have a more pronounced digitigrade structure in Andromeda than the other games, something that gets attributed to the new game engine being better able to handle it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Unfortunately, the best we get is Neverwinter, which is just a Korean Grinder with D&D licensing kicked in.

Neverwinter Online? It's a fun game, and very strongly based in DnD.

Also, I don't understand why some folks want DnD video games to emulate DnD mechanics. It's a different medium.

I want a game to get the point of the rules, but I can't imagine caring whether the details are the same?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If they made a turn-based game like the OG gold box games using 5e mechanics, I would be happy forever.

Basically take X-Com or Invisible Inc but use D&D mechanics and an RPG overworld with dialogue trees. You'd think I was suggesting something crazy if they didn't unveil a freaking Mario game along these lines at e3 a month ago.

Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance, two Dark Sun games using that engine, a Ravenloft game, etc etc.

I agree with you.

Turn based using 5e mechanics. Set in a DnD setting. Gold Box in style.

Its all I need.

(I could use a 5e Temple of Elemental Evil, but I dont need it.) ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads