• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Why Can't 5E Get a Video Game?

Zardnaar

Legend
Well there has been another successful Pathfinder KS that has funded, 500k+ and counting for Pathfinder: Kingmaker a SP game based off the AP where you go forth and settle the Stolen Lands. Looks like its Baldurs Gate/ Pillars of Eternity type isometric graphics.

I started a thread a long time ago about how to get a successful D&D game off the ground. Since WoTC won't drop 40-200 million+ on a AA+ title I would like a Pillars of Eternity type game to be down and would be willing to settle for a modern 2D 16 bit game a'la Phantasy Star III/IV, Shining Force or a modern "16 bit" Stardew Valley type graphics as long as the story/game was fun.

Nice graphics do not guarantee a great game (SCL, Mass Effect IV).

JonnyP71

Explorer
This is something I'd like to see too and I would back it on KS in an instant. I'm also in the '2D 16 bit style is just fine' camp as long as the story is good and the game mechanics are true... the greatest computer RPGs have been Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment - they are far superior to anything that followed, despite the comparative lack of graphical whizzbangs.

TallIan

Explorer
That would be the dream. I don't play the latest cutting edge games any more, they're just too expensive.

But sadly I don't think that we'll see anything 5e soon, no one wants to commit to a low end game out of fear of dragging 5e down and no one has the money to put into a top end game under licence.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Did 4e get a game? It seems made for it and I was looking forward to one but I don't recall anything other than neverwinter. I'd have wanted something a little more tactical like neverwinter nights 2 but with the 4e ruleset. I reckon that would have been sweet.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Technically speaking, there has already been a 5e video game, Sword Coast Legends.

As to when there will be another in the spirit of what you'd like to see, that's questionable. Someone like Obsidian (makers of Pillars of Eternity) would be your best bet for an iso game, IMO, but why should they pay for licensing when they can use their own IP, which they own?

I would actually venture to guess that KS makes it less likely that such a game will ever be made. I'm not an insider, but I would hazard a guess that one of the attractive aspects of the license is that brand recognition makes raising funding easier, which KS has obviated (to an extent). A big shop like EA, which doesn't need outside funding, is also going to be more interested in creating/pursuing it's own IP.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but those appear to be some of the obstacles from where I'm standing. The best shops would likely rather work on something that they then own. The not best shops, well, there's a significant chance that the game won't be that great (since in paying to license they have shown they are either unwilling or incapable of creating their own setting).

Zardnaar

Legend
Technically speaking, there has already been a 5e video game, Sword Coast Legends.

As to when there will be another in the spirit of what you'd like to see, that's questionable. Someone like Obsidian (makers of Pillars of Eternity) would be your best bet for an iso game, IMO, but why should they pay for licensing when they can use their own IP, which they own?

I would actually venture to guess that KS makes it less likely that such a game will ever be made. I'm not an insider, but I would hazard a guess that one of the attractive aspects of the license is that brand recognition makes raising funding easier, which KS has obviated (to an extent). A big shop like EA, which doesn't need outside funding, is also going to be more interested in creating/pursuing it's own IP.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but those appear to be some of the obstacles from where I'm standing. The best shops would likely rather work on something that they then own. The not best shops, well, there's a significant chance that the game won't be that great (since in paying to license they have shown they are either unwilling or incapable of creating their own setting).

Sorry I should have said, good D&D video game.

Belltent

First Post
Nice graphics do not guarantee a great game (Mass Effect IV).

I beat that game with 100% viability. When can I expect the nice graphics to show up? Is it a new game+ kinda thing?

More to the point though, if you're asking about a game using the 5e rules set, I don't think there's enough crunch there to build game systems around.

Remove ads