• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Why is 5E So Popular?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I think some of 5e success can be contributed to the rise of Streaming Games like Critical Role. It's worth noting that Matt Mercer decided to switch their game to 5e for streaming, because 5e would be was a simpler game to run.

I think that simplicity removes barriers to new players and captured some grognards along the way, which is another reason for its success.

And while some people hate it, I think the slow release schedule also contributes to it's success.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I would say two factors:

a) It really drew back from specifying the world by rule compared to the other WOTC editions
(especially 3.x). Some folks might read that as saying its "sloppy" and in part that's true. But that's just about a necessary component to flexibility. When the game makes room for GM-A to be running a pretty gonzo game and GM-B to be running a gritty game, that makes it more flexible....and easier as a bonus!

b) Easy to get DMing and running. I would have gone a few more steps in that direction, but its definitely a big deal. 4e was "easy" to DM, but only in comparison to 3e. Both of them had effectively complicated resolution during combat that leads to very slow combats.

IMO, etc.

Remove ads