• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

I believe that he said that. They've just been wrong about what they say is coming(including compatibility) in new editions a lot more than they've been correct.
I’ll have to take your word for that, I have no idea what they said about prior editions (except 4e/essentials which they were accurate about, & 4e - 5e which was accurate too)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I’ll have to take your word for that, I have no idea what they said about prior editions (except 4e/essentials which they were accurate about, & 4e - 5e which was accurate too)
4e-5e was not at all accurate. We were told things would be in 5e that weren't. They a;sp dropped things that were popular in the playtest and added a lot into 5e that nobody ever got to playtest to the final product. The end product was very different from the playtest.

4e-5e was not at all accurate. We were told things would be in 5e that weren't. They a;sp dropped things that were popular in the playtest and added a lot into 5e that nobody ever got to playtest to the final product. The end product was very different from the playtest.
The were correct about not being compatible with 4e, that is what I was talking about. Sorry for not making that clear.

mamba

Legend
I think that whether it is or not, most people aren't going to care. One will be just different enough that people will will treat it as a separate edition and buy all new books to replace the older ones.
I agree that you won’t get consensus, but WotC does not need that. There is a huge difference between 5% considering it incompatible and 80% doing so. WotC imo wants to keep that number small enough that people make the switch rather than staying with 5e or switching to something else entirely

Faolyn

(she/her)
I agree that you won’t get consensus, but WotC does not need that. There is a huge difference between 5% considering it incompatible and 80% doing so. WotC imo wants to keep that number small enough that people make the switch rather than staying with 5e or switching to something else entirely
I'm not saying that 80% will find it compatible or incompatible. I'm saying that most people have neither the time nor inclination to do the adjustments needed to make 5e and One compatible.

Take Level Up. It's supposed to be completely compatible. There are still people who ask "has such-and-such a monster been converted from 5e to LU?" when the only mechanical differences between a 5e monster and a LU monster is that LU monsters don't have alignments and have a "maneuver DC" which is literally 8 + PB + Str or Dex mod. And while martial maneuvers are an LU thing, there are also basic maneuvers, like grappling and shoving, which have always been part of 5e. Sure, LU monsters have extensive changes in lore--for instance, LU harpies lack the "cursed elf" backstory--but the monster stats themselves are completely interchangeable. I've used them in 5e games without a single problem. It's why, while I'm converting monsters from D&D to LU over on that forum, I'm converting monsters from AD&D and, eventually, 3e, which are definitely not compatible without extensive work; I'm not going to convert 5e monsters.

So what I'm saying is that even a small change will be enough for probably most people to completely disregard 5e books in favor of One. And right now, One has several non-small changes and we've only seen two playtests.

Hussar

Legend
Everyone seems to forget that this is the first edition change where sales haven’t been in the toilet.

Edition change in the past was necessary because without it, tsr or WotC would go out of business. Compatibility wasn’t an issue because no one was already buying the previous edition supplements.

But this time around, we’re going through edition change when DnD is financially solid.

Comparisons to the past need to keep that in mind.

Remove ads