So, you've won initiative, now what?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
DarkMaster said:
Then 5 step or Concentration DC 16-24 and your are blasted to obvilion

He'd better succeed at blasting the PsyWar to oblivion because if he fails, he's going to take the thrashing of his life the following round.

Another consideration for these sorts of tactics is that, if you run into the midst of the bad guys, you effectively take away the enemy's area effect capabilities because to target you is to target their own allies.

DarkMaster

First Post
Well he can control, charm or whatever it or dimension door somewhere else letting his minion finish him. My point is that having improved init is close to useless for this type of character and other feats would be much more usefull than Imp Init, because he can't really gain much from it. Yes he can caught the minion and the caster off guard but can't deliver any damage. He tactically baddly positioned himself and gain nothing in exchange. Personally I would prefer Iron Will much more than Imp Init, for a psywar mage killer.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It depends on what your 2nd level power (and 3 first level powers) are really. You could manifest Hustle(2nd) as a swift action to move and then get a full attack, but you won't get multiple attacks on a full attack for quite a few levels yet, so that isn't dreadfully attractive.

You might as well just charge attack the weakest looking target (wizards or rogues) and use your psionic weapon feat if you've got it - try to make that extra +2d6 damage work for you by hitting a flatfooted opponent.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
DarkMaster said:
Well he can control, charm or whatever it or dimension door somewhere else letting his minion finish him. My point is that having improved init is close to useless for this type of character and other feats would be much more usefull than Imp Init, because he can't really gain much from it. Yes he can caught the minion and the caster off guard but can't deliver any damage. He tactically baddly positioned himself and gain nothing in exchange. Personally I would prefer Iron Will much more than Imp Init, for a psywar mage killer.

Fair enough. I was just rolling with the premise of the thread that the character had Improved Initiative and a high Dex.

Voadam

Legend
Wolfix said:
I'm looking for tips on what you could do if you win initiative. I'm planning on playing a Psychic Warrior lvl4 with +9 to init, so he should get to go first a lot (I hope :) ). In your average encounter, I expect to either buff myself, or charge, but that's about it. If you could build him, what would you do with high init?

Do you use two weapons or multiple natural attacks? If so then activate Hustle as a swift action, then close as your extra move action, then full attack round one with a psionic focus feat for the extra punch right away.

If you don't have multiple attacks this isn't that big a deal tactic as it only allows a double move plus attack but still nice. The psionic focus feats give a lot of nice one shot tactics which are better to get off right away rather than later.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Okay you've won initiative so you're no longer flatfooted & now you threaten.

Don't overlook the possible advantages of delaying until one of your companions turns for a coordinated attack. E.g. both go together so you each get flanking bonuses instead of just the 2nd guy.

Readied actions to disrupt spellcasters.

Take cover from missile users & misc action.

Throw up group affecting defensive effects so your friends are intact enough on their initiative to wreck havoc. It is frustrating to play catch-up combat, forever healing yourself each round (& 5' stepping) while your weakened party tries to turn the odds.

Everyone benefits from good initiative but the balancing act is to make sure you've spent the right feats so your actions are likely to be effective. No point going first if you make no impact.

Remove ads