• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Social interactions in 4E

buzz

Adventurer
Mallus said:
And I'm not sure I understand why social mechanics would encourage the inclusion of social encounters.
Because the game is saying to you, out loud, that there is explicit support for running and resolving them. The issue of whether DM Larry will let you talk your way through encounters like DM Alicia does becomes essentially moot. You can just point to the rulebook and know that, hey, this is an option and we've got mechanics to cover it.

Stoat

Adventurer
I'm not sure if this point has been raised, but as a DM, I like the idea of having some semi-objective way to resolve negotiations/interrogations/what have you.

When the PC's capture an Orc guard and start pressing for details about what lies beyond, how much help will the thing really provide?

For whatever reason, I've never been very good at answering that type of question on the fly.

pemerton

Legend
apoptosis said:
I have really started to enjoy conflict resolution systems, it will be a shame that when they go to 4E that they dont use them more in the rules. On the other hand I am aware that many people who have tried and used the conflict resolution systems simply do not prefer them to the classic type of resolution systems.
ST said:
I do think it's interesting that there's discussion of treating any conflict as an encounter (someone mentioned traps earlier, as well as social conflict). Spycraft 2, a d20 game, includes rules for things like chases and escapes as encounters, as well. It's interesting to compare that to systems that use a conflict resolution (stakes-setting) system.
Could someone explain how a d20-style resolution mechanic (ie roll+skill > target number, as opposed to a conflict/stakes resolution mechanic) has been implemented for social conflict? Is it by way of opposed rolls, or so many successes, or debating parties roll to sway their audience back and forth until one fails, or ... ?

pemerton

Legend
RFisher said:
Look, I've got a list of criticisms a mile long for previous editions of (A)D&D starting with the fact that they didn't adequately--for my thick skull--explain how they were meant to be played.

& I've said that I have used social combat, like it, & am looking forward to what 4e is going to give us in this area.

But the (for lack of a better term) negotiation/fiat style of play is a perfectly valid & enjoyable option as well.

<snip>

I'd rather be predisposed to saying "yes" to whatever a player wants his PC to do & then let the player express the character's strengths through actions than to have the players struggle to express their character concept through mechanics & then feel like I have to go out of my way to make those mechanical choices seem to matter.

That predisposition to yes, by the way, means that I'm going to let the shy guy's attempts at diplomacy succeed as well as anyone else's. At least, I'm going to do my best, & I can certainly say that more rules don't make my best any better.
I just wanted to say that I always find your posts about how 1st ed and its predecessors/contemporaries can be played very illuminating. Especially the notion of characters being developed through their actions in the gameworld (as negotiated between player and GM), rather than through the process of mechanical building.

BryonD said:
I don't think that is a very fair statement. You are implying that using a social mechanic means these DMs don't prefer to say yes. Which is far from true.

Unless you are suggesting that every single character should be good at everything and have no weaknesses. I think that would be pointless and boring. So if that is what you mean, then we very much disagree. If you say yes to everything, every time then it isn't a game, it just a series of freebies.
I think the answer to this is it's not a freebie if what the player thought of (ie the action they call for their PC) is not a very clever one. It's a play style that's about rewarding player creativity and ingenuity at the table, rather than mechanical skill with character builds and resolution systems. It's not the system that I use - I'm an RM GM whose next campaign will be in HARP - but I can see that it is the system by which 1st ed AD&D and Moldvay D&D were meant to be played. Looked at in this light those games make sense (much more sense than when I actually played them).

Mallus said:
You could easily get rid of CHA. One could argue the prior editions of D&D did that in practice anyway.
Except for those of us who used the henchmen rules. Also, it acted as a compulsory disadvantage for paladins (in that one of their good stat rolls had to go into a reasonably ineffective stat).

Kae'Yoss said:
I think the game should make it fair to as many people as possible:

Whenever possible, make the character's abilities count, with the player making contributions. If the player has strengths in one area, nothing keeps him from letting his character have strengths in that area. Great talker? Get your character high charisma!

The game should also punish those who try to "cheat", by letting their character have weaknesses where they themselves are strong, and then ignoring the charater's abilities in favour of their own. That's bad roleplaying.

<snip>

Sure, those who know the game, are decent tacticians and have good math skills will still have some advantage they should not have, but with simpler rules, the "injustice" can be lessened.
Given the sort of game that D&D has evolved into, it's not an injustice for the player with the better tactical grasp of the rules to have an advantage. That's the aim of the game: to get ahead by mastering the build rules and the resolution rules.

Mallus said:
You know, it occurs to me that even if you make social interaction into an abstract game, some people are going to be better at it than others. Wouldn't a system for handling diplomacy be equally unfair to a player who wanted to play a master diplomat but sucked at the mechanics that governed it?

There comes a point where you have to accept that RPG's require some level of player skill or they gameplay gets reduced to the statement of desired outcomes and some die rolls.
I agree. What social mechanics will do, however, is mean that the very same skills that make a player good at succeeding at combat challenges also make her/him good at social challenges. I think this will encourage more players to see social challenges as a viable approach to play. As a result, they might then discover the thematic/roleplaying pleasures to be derived from social interaction in the game, which can be just as great as the excitement and adrenaline that combat delivers.

LostSoul

Adventurer
pemerton said:
What social mechanics will do, however, is mean that the very same skills that make a player good at succeeding at combat challenges also make her/him good at social challenges. I think this will encourage more players to see social challenges as a viable approach to play. As a result, they might then discover the thematic/roleplaying pleasures to be derived from social interaction in the game, which can be just as great as the excitement and adrenaline that combat delivers.

I have to agree.

Anax

First Post
Wow. Lots of flambé here.

Here’s my take on things. I’m thinking back to a 3.5 campaign I played in—one with a very good DM. Social situations did in fact come up with some regularity. (Meeting with the mayor, talking our way out of a dragon’s lair, etc.)

My character was imagined as being quite charismatic, with a diplomatic focus. She was, in essence, a representative of a monastic order who had been involved in acting as an arbitrator in various diplomatic disputes. Her reason, sense of justice, and peace-making background were just as important to me as her martial training. In fact, they tied in to her fighting in a way: the whole point was to have a character who fights excellently, but reluctantly, and could inspire people to better themselves in whatever way they can.

The trouble was, 3E rules for Diplomacy are... really vague. And when they’re not vague, they get kind of ridiculous. We were getting close to the mid teens in levels. I forget exactly what my Diplomacy skill was, but I think it was getting pretty close to +30. (Level 14 or so, so 17 ranks, let’s say +4 Cha modifier, that takes it to +21. +3 from a Circlet of Persuasion, that’s +24. Synergy from Bluff, Sense Motive, and Knowledge (Royalty), that’s +30. So +30 is in the realm of possibility.)

So let’s say it was +30. The example still applies if it was a bit lower. With a +30 modifier, the Rules As Written say that if I roll a 20 on my skill check, I can turn make a Hostile character Helpful. I can take a *1* on my skill check and make an unfriendly character friendly. If somebody is already friendly, I have a 1 in 20 chance of invoking the epic rules for Diplomacy and making them a fanatic for me.

But how does any of that translate into game situations. Well, clearly there needs to be some in-character work done for any use of Diplomacy. Otherwise it’s just not interesting. But no matter what argument I make, how can it possibly translate into the kind of change described above? It can’t, really.

And that made the DM extremely uncomfortable. Translating my character’s social focus into game interactions was not something either of us could do.

Without a reasonable way to interpret what the character could accomplish with this skill, we ended up neglecting it almost completely, because we just couldn’t make it work.

What was missing? Well, first, there wasn’t really any granularity to it. You spend ten minutes talking to adjust the attitude of the person talking to you. (Or perhaps you roll at the start of an interaction to establish how someone will treat you.) Based on that, the vast majority of people in the world (those who don’t care about my character one way or the other) end up willing to risk their lives or livelihoods for me. I don’t even have to roll any dice to make a random man on the street who knows nothing about me ready to take a risk to help me.

On the one hand, that’s about right. With a similar level of Bluff, I’d be an amazing confidence artist.

But what kinds of risks, exactly? How often? What countervailing circumstances would change things? How do you factor in the fact that this guy has a family, and doesn’t intend to leave them to carry a torch for me while I investigate the Lich King’s Lair™?

There just wasn’t any give and take to things. The give and take was all left to the DM’s discretion, and he (even though he was a very good DM) just couldn’t wrap his mind around what it this level of competence means.

Kind of like how we can’t really comprehend how a character with 30 Intelligence might think about the world. Physical stats are easy, but mental stats are hard. Likewise, physical skills are easy, mental skills are hard.

So, I’m favorably impressed with this potential change to the system. If you don’t like it, ignore it. Don’t put social situations into your games. Whatever. But if somebody wants to play a character who, among other abilities, has social graces, it might be nice to know how to deal with that when the time comes.

I’d much rather have been in a situation where my character couldn’t talk people around to such an absurdly high degree (hostile to friendly). In which it would be interesting to have a diplomatic interaction even with someone friendly—just so long as it was possible to think clearly about what the characters *would* be willing to do.

I think the short form is this: When your character needs to interact with a world that does not conform to his will, you need rules. You need rules for how to break down doors. You need rules for how to kick somebody’s ass. You need rules for how to learn facts lost in the mists of time. Likewise, you need rules for how to convince people to see things your way. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that rules are most necessary when you are interacting between characters.

Some final thoughts:

First, somebody said something about using Diplomacy to impact the behavior of other PCs. Clearly, with a good set of rules you could do this. But a DM ought to discourage talking Grog The Stupid Orc out of his loot just as much as he discourages stabbing Petey The Weak Wizard to take his stuff. And a good player wouldn’t consider doing either without a very good reason.

Second, I can’t imagine a good game that contains meaningful social interaction of any sort that doesn’t allow all of the characters to enjoy the interaciton. I know that in the campaign I mentioned above, Gronk, our half-orc monk, would certainly not stay behind if I’m going to go talk to the mayor. (Gronk was actually well-beloved by the local citizenry, though his charisma was nothing to write home about. His reputation was what mattered there.) And if he had been participating, he no doubt might attempt to help me, and instead open his mouth and insert his foot. That’s not a bad thing, it makes the whole event more interesting.

And finally, just because it’s in the core rules doesn’t mean it needs to come up all of the time. If nobody in your group cares to use these rules, you should obviously discard them. If one person wants to use them a lot, you may need to brush up on how they work, but you’re not going to be throwing a lot of big social encounters at people—just little things. (Equivalent to little bits where a ranger’s natural knowledge might have an impact.) If lots of people want to do it, you might make it a centerpiece. But nobody is telling you "adventures must have a 50/50 split between social and combat encounters". And nobody is telling you that you can't just tell your one player who wants tons of Diplomacy "Just so you know, you’re not going to get to use that much."

Damn, that was long. And fragmented. I should avoid posting in the wee hours of the morning.

buzz

Adventurer
pemerton said:
Could someone explain how a d20-style resolution mechanic (ie roll+skill > target number, as opposed to a conflict/stakes resolution mechanic) has been implemented for social conflict? Is it by way of opposed rolls, or so many successes, or debating parties roll to sway their audience back and forth until one fails, or ... ?
Someone with more Spycraft 2.0 experience than me can answer this better, but that game basically handles "dramatic conflicts" with its car chase rules. Each participant uses maneuvers in combination with their skills to push a "dial" to one side or another. I.e., gain a certain number of successes before the opponent can negate them with their successes.

In Iron Heroes, the extended Diplomacy rules are somewhat similar. The DM sets a number of successes that must be met by each side depending on their argument: 5, 10, or 15. E.g., the opponent with a reasonable argument might need to hit 5 successes, while the other guy who is making a more tenuous argument might need to hit 15. The first one to rack up the required number of successful checks wins. Bonuses are given not for the quality of the player's "performance," but for simply giving a performance period, as well as for making arguments that are particularly relevant.

In either case, though, I believe that there are "stakes" of one sort or an other. You need to know what the argument is about first, in other words.

apoptosis

First Post
pemerton said:

You can stil use d20 with a stakes mechanic, I guess you would just use the TN based on the difficulty of the stakes and using opposed rolls, i imagine.

I think stake setting while not the only way to do social conflict, for me seems to be the preferable way (i am biased though, i now think that all conflict should be based on stake setting)

Remove ads