• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Social Pillar Mechanics: Where do you stand?

M_Natas

Hero
But doesn't the same "issue" apply to almost every check with every skill?

And don't get me wrong, I have for a long time argued that DMG should have more (or any!) examples of DCs to set benchmarks and help the GM extrapolate consistently, but social situations have so many variables that a list of examples will never cover it.
I think the 3e book has a good list of examples and what happens if you fail by 5 or more. 5e could use something like that, just as examples.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But I think this is a perfect example of why a rigide structure with a limited amount of specified actions can stiffle roleplay:

So, "rigid structure with a limited number of specified actions" is hardly the only way to structure mechanics.

But even then - as you yourself note, in combat you have players who don't look beyond a limited number of specified actions, and they don't try freeform social interactions. But, that means that roleplay is stifled there anyway! You might as well give them some specified social options, because you can't stifle what they aren't doing.

M_Natas

Hero
So, "rigid structure with a limited number of specified actions" is hardly the only way to structure mechanics.

But even then - as you yourself note, in combat you have players who don't look beyond a limited number of specified actions, and they don't try freeform social interactions. But, that means that roleplay is stifled there anyway! You might as well give them some specified social options, because you can't stifle what they aren't doing.
Okay, let me clarify, I meant that implementing a rigid combat like structure for social interactions would stifle roleplay there, to, like it isnalready happening during combat.

Last edited:

Remove ads