Soldiers of Fortune

Scribble

First Post
Arrg ... I clicked the link and since it was Paizo and the font has a somewhat pathfinderesque look to it I assumed ... guess that proves the old cliche correct huh?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Matt James

Game Developer
I spoke with Wolfgang about this briefly awhile ago, and I want to say that he mentioned that it will make it's way to game stores. I apologize for not having any more information on this. He might pop in on this thread, however.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
My heroes have just hit paragon, and in that tier I intend for the crap to hit the fan and a major war between planes break out.

Now, I'm not too interested in the midguard setting (have my own), the reasons for going to war (ditto), nor the various powers, feets, or magic items (as the campaign rule for character generation is "if you can't do it in character builder, you can't do it").

That said, is there much in there on how to run encounters involving battles/campaigns, particularly given the tier I'm DMing? And if so, can you elaborate on how your product might be helpful to me?

Now, I'm not trying to make you jump through hoops, its just there seems to be a lot in there that, no matter the quality of the material (which it sounds liek is very good) just isn't of much benefit to me.

Matt James

Game Developer
So, let me see if I am understanding you. You want to know if there is content on how to run encounters involving battles/campaigns? And, you want to know if it can be relatable to the paragon tier of play? If I got any of this wrong, let me know.

One of the sections of this book contains a series of encounters that can be used as an entire adventure or individual. In designing this portion of the book, I wanted to make it as much a learning tool as a functional adventure. You will find in this section a slew of optional enhancements that you can use you enhance standard combat, as presently found in 4e. Everything from trap themes to skill combat (think skill encounter, yet way cooler :p ). In additional, in this book, I designed templates that can be applied to any and all creatures, most of which do not alter the XP in any manner. In example, the deadly partisan template, found within this book, allows you to take a creature and add depth to them with a sleeper cell assassin feel. Equally, you can take a standard brutish creature, such as a minotaur or goliath, and give them the inspiring sergeant template; effectively giving them a soldierly demeanor. The list goes on and on. All of these tools can be used to assist you in running challenging and enjoyable battles.

For the long term campaigns, the opening chapter offers great ideas on the how's and why's that people go to war, including adventure hooks that you can plug right into your game.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

SarahDarkmagic

First Post
I have a copy of the PDF and I really enjoyed it. My husband really wants to play around with some siege engines. Mercenaries are on my mind a lot of late anyway. I really enjoyed the original Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon and just finished the new book, Oath of Fealty.

One thing I really liked about the book were the skill challenges. They not only provided a challenge to the PCs but helped unfold the story as well. Having multiple outcomes for different levels of success help too. I know that they are not for everyone, but if you are looking for some good examples, I suggest giving the ones in Soldiers of Fortune a look.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The review...was great...and open design is probably my favorite publisher right now...so definatly getting this.

Its brings to mind the excitting days of the early '00s, when game companies from far and wide would all make things for my D&D game.

Though this will of course be better then most of that crap was.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I think you answered part of my question... and what you didn't, I've gleaned some from the comments of others. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Basically, I was wondering if you have rules to help a DM involve PCs in a military campaign... and it sounds like you have a skill challenge system that is quite good.

Additionally, I was looking for confirmation on whether you have rules to help a DM have the PCs involved in a meaningful way in battles without it being "all about them"... particularly in large, "Lord of the Rings" size battles with combinations of combattants of various ability levels, from hoards of low power troops to large monsters and powerful generals/casters - the latter groups presumably being the forces the PCs are tasked to deal with.

Third, I was wondering if the rules you have in place for those things would translate well into the paragon tier where the heroes wouldn't be just "one of the soldiers" but would be the "big damn heroes" and would be well above the power level of hordes fighting around them.

I mean, it sounds like an excellent product, but given my somewhat narrower needs, I'm not sure its the one for me.

Remove ads