• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solitude - beastial or divine?

loki44

Explorer
I think what Bacon was getting at is that society and social interactions are what set humanity apart from beasts and the divine. That a truly anti-social person has lost something of what it means to be human.

I chose that sig years ago, and I don't remember exactly what was going through my mind when I did, but it still resonates with me for some reason. I enjoy my time alone, which is not the same thing as saying I delight in solitude. One is temporary whereas the other is a more permanent state of being.

When I am alone, which isn't often really, I can sometimes imagine how easy it would be to slip into something of a bestial state, focussed simply on satiating my creature comforts and desires. The times when I have most felt like I could sense the divine have primarily been in nature, in solitude. For me, that quote is sort of a reminder to maintain a balance and not veer too far over in one direction or the other.

diaglo

Adventurer
i think Bacon ate one too many strips.

i would be nekked and hairy and still seek other lifeforms to communicate. be they birds, dogs, cats, squirrels, whatever.

i would never be alone.

shilsen

Adventurer
Crothian said:
I'm a person that perfers Solitude. In fact even when I'm with people I'm usually alone.
I think everyone is always fundamentally alone, even when they're with other people, and at least part of the reason most people socialize is to distract themselves from that awareness.

Luckily, I love solitude and get along very well with all the voices in my head.

Mycanid

First Post
shilsen said:
I think everyone is always fundamentally alone, even when they're with other people, and at least part of the reason most people socialize is to distract themselves from that awareness.

Shilsen ... for once I agree with you! Hoorah!

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I like being alone. One thing I have pondered though is whether or not I can be truly considered to be alone is because of places like ENWorld. Here I can be around people, yet be alone(Like Crothian). :D

Mycanid

First Post
shilsen said:
Do we disagree a lot? I never noticed.

Only a little bit my good sir, only a little bit ... I am just teasing you a little. ;)

Anyhoo, we disagreed over how to hand out xp a bit in a long gone thread. Nothing serious, mind you.

Remove ads