• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solo monster question

Yanko128

First Post
I've been looking at guidelines for creating solo critters on page 185 of DMG. under "powers and abilities" it states to grant your solo beastie an additional standard action.

they question i have is this: do all solo monsters have 2 standard actions per round (as in minor, standard, standard, move); or is two standard actions per round just an option you can give solo critters YOU create?

Palladion

Adventurer
Extra standard action is for creatures you create. Take a look at some of the other solo monsters in the MM, usually they have a double attack (as a standard) or an attack as a minor action. Dragons have tail slaps as an immediate as well.

Dalzig

First Post
All creatures still have a minor, standard, move, and immediate action. Nothing about being a Solo monster breaks this.

What they did with Solo monsters is using a standard action to make two attacks. The general format is "Double Attack: Standard Action. Make two basic attacks." Some monsters add stuff to that, but they still follow the 1 standard action per turn rule.

Edit: I guess they're telling you to be lazy about making abilities... heh.

Last edited:

zoroaster100

First Post
Remember also that solo monsters have two action points which they can use in the encounter, allowing them (through the use of each action point) to get two standard actions in a round for the two rounds in which they use action points. And since they have double attacks on a standard action or an extra attack on a minor action, they are likely to get three or four attacks in on each of the first two rounds.

Remove ads