• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solo, young black dragon, lurker, and level 1 parties.

FurryFighter

First Post
A young black dragon has 875 exp. thats the GM book's cost cap for hard encounter for 5 level 1 pcs, at level + 3.

I planned to have it hidden, as they enter the room, in a pit of water. Does it get a surprise round? Some people say solos arent meant to be used alone, and that does make sense with a level + 0 or easier encounter, but at 4 rounds, if this drag gets a surprise round for attacking first out of a water pit, it gets off a LOT of damage and effect.

Is this monster just way too much for a level 1 group? Or is it what a solo baddie should be?

DracoSuave

First Post
Is this monster just way too much for a level 1 group? Or is it what a solo baddie should be?

Yes, downgrade it, for sure, and use traps and hazards to make up the XP shortfall to return the encounter to a more difficult level. The dragon, as a level 4 lurker solo, by itself will be too frustrating a fight at that low a level. Downgrading to a level 1 solo, but tossing in an interesting set of traps that can be used against it, will maintain the 'us against the dragon' feel, but might also give the party ways to get around its arsenal of them-avoidance.

Tai

First Post
With an AC of 22, there is no way in hell your party will beat it. You're going to have PCs needing a 16 to hit, which will be a *world* of no fun. Giving it a surprise round will let it put down at least one party member before they get to act. If you want them to fight a dragon, I recommend Wyrmlings. A Black Dragon Wyrmling and a couple of Kobold worshippers would make for a much more interesting encounter - it has similar attacks, but has lower defences and fewer hitpoints, so the fight will be tough but doable, and more importantly won't take a million years to do...

DracoSuave

First Post
Well downgrading it to level 1 reduces its AC to a manageable 19, still tough but not frustratingly so, the presence of traps allow you to use your pushmipullu powers to force it into dangerous spots (but also add in the tension of it doing the same to you) while making the combat more interesting than 'cloud, turtle, go' that some DMs trap a dragon into.

Make sure it is -impossible- for the dragon to cover all the traps or controls for the traps with its cloud. You want to make sure that the cloud can be used to tactical benefit, but does not and cannot dominate the encounter.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I've statted up a de-leveled very young black dragon as a solo lurker 2 with a less annoying cloud of darkness ability (I've gone shadowy concealment rather than total darkness) and changed its size to Medium so I can also use one of my favourite miniatures.

I've yet to test it but I think it will make for a better fight for 1st-level PCs.

ZzarkLinux

First Post
The fight designed by the original poster is boring.

First round:
Dragon releases cloud of darkness.

Next 3-6 rounds
Everybody guesses where the dragon is.
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Dragon -> Hit
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Dragon -> Hit
etc ...

Later:
Cloud goes down because players are bored and / or near death.
Monster has huge defenses
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Dragon -> Hit
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> Miss
Swing -> OMG HIT
Swing -> Miss
Dragon -> Hit
etc ...

Solos by themselves are boring.
Either they have mega-defenses, or some random power (Certain Justice) makes fight trivial.

There are many good suggestions above to remedy:
: Use several monsters, with cool abilities.
: Use even traps, and the players can react / plan.
: Use terrain, to make the fight fun.

Tai

First Post
Seriously, Wyrmlings. They're like dragons, but with a lot of the boring bits (ridiculous defences, too many HP for their limited power selection) removed.

Dr_Sage

First Post
I've statted up a de-leveled very young black dragon as a solo lurker 2 with a less annoying cloud of darkness ability (I've gone shadowy concealment rather than total darkness) and changed its size to Medium so I can also use one of my favourite miniatures.

I've yet to test it but I think it will make for a better fight for 1st-level PCs.

Agreed.

Most important:

1- downgrade his high defenses by at least 3-4 points.

2 - Downgrade his cloud so it obscures the area (heavy obscured in the best).

Black dragon was extensively discussed in the forum, just search, there is a long talk about this creature.

Have fun!

Blackbrrd

First Post
With an AC of 22, there is no way in hell your party will beat it. You're going to have PCs needing a 16 to hit, which will be a *world* of no fun. Giving it a surprise round will let it put down at least one party member before they get to act. If you want them to fight a dragon, I recommend Wyrmlings. A Black Dragon Wyrmling and a couple of Kobold worshippers would make for a much more interesting encounter - it has similar attacks, but has lower defences and fewer hitpoints, so the fight will be tough but doable, and more importantly won't take a million years to do...
AC 22 does not mean the PC's need a 16 to hit.

An optimized level 1 fighter has:
20str = 5
Sword = 3
Weapon expertise = 1
Fighter talent = 1
------------------
Total = +10 to hit and he needs a 12.
If he uses Brash Strike he only needs a 10. :)
(He needs another Defender of the party for this to be viable.)

Mesh Hong

First Post
Maybe you could use something like this?

Very Young Black Dragon Level 1 Solo Lurker
Large Natural Beast XP 500

Initiative +7 Senses Perception +6, darkvision
HP 112; Bloodied 56
AC 17; Fortitude 14, Reflex 16, Will 14
Resist 10 acid
Saving Throws +5
Speed 7, fly 7 (clumsy), swim 7
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Bite (Standard; at-will) acid
Reach 2; attack +6 vs. AC; 1d8+2 damage; on hit target takes 2 ongoing
acid damage (save ends)

:melee: Claw (Standard; at-will)
attack +6 vs. AC; 1d4+3 damage

:melee: Furious Assault (Standard; at-will)
Black Dragon makes 2 Claw attacks against the same target; if both
attacks hit it may make a Bite attack against a secondary target

:melee: Tail Slap (Immediate Reaction; at-will) when hit by melee attack
When hit by a melee attack; attack +4 vs. Fortitude; 1d4+2 damage; on
hit slide the target 1 square

:melee: Grab and Drag (Standard; recharge :5::6:)
Reach 2; attack +6 vs. AC; 2d6+2 damage; on hit target is grabbed
(escape ends) and Black Dragon may shift 5 squares dragging the grabbed
creature with it and maintaining the grab; on miss the Black Dragon may
shift 3 squares

:close: Acidic Breath (Standard; recharge :5::6:) acid
Close blast 3; attack +4 vs. Reflex; 2d6+3 acid damage; on miss target
takes 5 acid damage

:close: Unnerving Presence (Standard; encounter) fear
Burst 5; attack +4 vs. Will; on hit target is immobilised (save ends)
aftereffect target is slowed (save ends)

:close: Mote of Darkness (Minor; recharge :5::6:) brief zone
Burst 2; creates a zone that lasts until the end of the Black Dragons
current turn; all creatures inside the zone (except the dragon) are blinded
until the end of the dragons current turn

Alignment Evil Languages common, draconic
Skills Nature +6, Stealth +8
Str 14 (+2) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 13 (+1)
Con 12 (+1) Int 10 (+0) Cha 6 (-2)

Remove ads