• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solomon Kane Cast List

nikolai

First Post
This has just been put up at IMDB:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/

I think plenty of people though James Purefoy was a good bit of casting by Bassett, but he's also managed to fill out the rest of the film with some really decent actors too. Max von Sydow, Mackenzie Crook, Rachel Hurd-Wood, Pete Postlethwaite - not bad.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Ouch. Usually the audience connects better with a character when you don't start off with an "origin story", but immediately jump in with the character doing what he does best.

I'd also prefer if the Puritan element was stronger, rather than the rather contrived setup that Bassett is talking about.

Fast Learner

First Post
Yeah, agreed, that's what I commented there:

"I'm very pleased you're making the film, but am a bit disappointed about apparently losing his Puritan background. In this day and age, I think a really great, exciting film could also have a powerful and interesting message if Kane came from the background apparent in the stories, a Puritan who believes in good and fights evil not because he's had some death's-door epiphany, but because his whole worldview is based in a faith that insists on pure good and evil, and he goes forth to enact it."

I'm just halfway through The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane collection, and the stories are great. The lack of an 'origin story' just makes S.K. that much more interesting.

And the origin story for the film sounds awful.

Waste of a good cast.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I haven't finished the SK collection myself as yet, so this back story was news to me. I take it, though, that it's something this guy is making up out of whole cloth, then, and not something I'll see even the vaguest hint of in the stories I have yet to read?

Darkwolf71

First Post
Yep, spounds like something he's pulling out of his nether regions. :/

I still want to see this, but my intrest level just dropped considerably.

Oh, yuck.

When I heard about this movie, I'd just assumed they were adapting one (or more) of the Kane stories into the basic plot for the movie.

To learn that they're not, and that they're making up elements of the character's origin out of whole cloth... Bleah.

I've just gone from "eagerly excited and will be first in line" to "I'm not sure I'll even bother seeing this in the theaters." :(

Klaus

First Post
Well, time to pull out that vampire's victim mantra:

Pleasedon'tsuck, pleasedon'tsuck, pleasedon'tsuck...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
What hubris lurks behind his praise of Howard and the great character work already done. I am often amazed by people so caught up in their own spin that they either miss the obvious or expect other people to do so. Unfortunately, the tease that two subsequent movies (of his dangled trilogy) might be based on the actual work of Howard will be vying for purchase in my decision to see, or not to see, versus the idea that if the first bombs, we might never see the character rights untied in our lifetimes. Oh, the plurality!

Remove ads