• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Some advice for new DMs

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
In another thread I recounted the experience I had recently wherein a young player was trying to DM for the first time, and it didn't go very well (unfortunately). I also ran across a couple of things that are great general advice and thoughts, but I thought I'd share as thoughts for newer DMs.

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, and I really wish somebody had told this to me.

All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But it’s like there is this gap. For the first couple years that you’re making stuff, what you’re making isn’t so good. It’s not that great. It’s trying to be good, it has ambition to be good, but it’s not that good.

But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is good enough that you can tell that what you’re making is kind of a disappointment to you. A lot of people never get past that phase. They quit.

Everybody I know who does interesting, creative work they went through years where they had really good taste and they could tell that what they were making wasn’t as good as they wanted it to be. They knew it fell short. Everybody goes through that.

And if you are just starting out or if you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Do a huge volume of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week or every month you know you’re going to finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you’re going to catch up and close that gap. And the work you’re making will be as good as your ambitions.

Source: Ira Glass on Storytelling.

On the first day of class, Jerry Uelsmann, a professor at the University of Florida, divided his film photography students into two groups.

Everyone on the left side of the classroom, he explained, would be in the “quantity” group. They would be graded solely on the amount of work they produced. On the final day of class, he would tally the number of photos submitted by each student. One hundred photos would rate an A, ninety photos a B, eighty photos a C, and so on.

Meanwhile, everyone on the right side of the room would be in the “quality” group. They would be graded only on the excellence of their work. They would only need to produce one photo during the semester, but to get an A, it had to be a nearly perfect image.

At the end of the term, he was surprised to find that all the best photos were produced by the quantity group. During the semester, these students were busy taking photos, experimenting with composition and lighting, testing out various methods in the darkroom, and learning from their mistakes. In the process of creating hundreds of photos, they honed their skills. Meanwhile, the quality group sat around speculating about perfection. In the end, they had little to show for their efforts other than unverified theories and one mediocre photo.

Source: Atomic Habits by James Clear.

(Both sources were brought to my attention by the very, very good website, kottke.org)

No matter what your level of talent, in any field, nothing is more important than doing. If you are starting to DM/GM, you will make mistakes. That's fine! It's part of the process- you will learn from it. Keep on doing it. Don't give up. Whether people talk about the "10,000 hours" or "number of reps" or "just keep swimming" it's always the same- the more you do something, the more you learn from your mistakes, the better you get.

So, for the holidays, I thought I'd share that advice. You will mess up. You will learn from it. Whether it's DMing, or countless other things. Just stay in the saddle. :)

This is excellent advice. Even experienced GMs have something to learn there.

A related bit of ...comfort?... is that if you are DM'ing for your friends, they WANT to have a good time at the table. Even if you think your work is sub-par or not up to some imaginary standards, you are still together with your friends (at the table or virtually) having fun. It's hard to fail at that.

9 times out of 10 your players aren't judging you nearly as hard as you are judging yourself. Cut yourself some slack, and keep at it, it will get better.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I'm only half joking when I say this: Sometimes you need this guy's voice in your head...
stuart-smalley.jpg

Oofta

Legend
I agree and would add that everybody makes mistakes. Everybody looks back and thinks "I could have done that better".

Here's the thing. I've been DMing for a long time and I'm still working on getting better and probably always will be. It's a journey worth taking though, and I've enjoyed (almost) every step of the way. :)

Shiroiken

Legend
No matter what your level of talent, in any field, nothing is more important than doing. If you are starting to DM/GM, you will make mistakes. That's fine! It's part of the process- you will learn from it. Keep on doing it. Don't give up. Whether people talk about the "10,000 hours" or "number of reps" or "just keep swimming" it's always the same- the more you do something, the more you learn from your mistakes, the better you get.
This reminds of when I learned to play Go. The manual I read said at the end "now that you know how to play, go out and lose a hundred games. I'm not kidding. The only way to really learn is to play, and you'll almost certainly lose the first hundred or so times you play. Get to it!" Weird motivation, but it works :)

I'm only half joking when I say this: Sometimes you need this guy's voice in your head...
You are SOOOO wrong! Absolutely correct, but SOOOO wrong :ROFLMAO:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Prep the creative stuff first. It takes the longest and is the worst when you try to improv it. Lists and random tables are your friends. Subreddits and wikis exist that are dedicated to even the most niche interests. Do enough research to get a feel for what you‘re after then stop. Only prep things the PCs will actually reasonably encounter in the next session or two. Until the PCs actually encounter something, it shouldn’t be set in stone. You’re supposed to react to what the PCs are doing, not railroad them through your latest novel idea.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
I'd say the best advice for new DMs is to take something simple and effective (Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, heck, World of Dungeons) first. So, systems that explain how to run games. Then, armed with knowledge of Baker and Harper, running D&D games is a piece of cake.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Building on the above lesson:

You will make mistakes. It's okay that your players know that you'll make mistakes. Work with them. 99.9% of the time, they'll be more than happy to work it out with you, and you'll learn to be a better DM. Don't teach yourself to project an air of absolute perfection. Give yourself the freedom to make happy little trees and happy little clouds, as Bob Ross would put it. Let your audience--your players--join you in turning mistakes into new developments.

I'd say the best advice for new DMs is to take something simple and effective (Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, heck, World of Dungeons) first. So, systems that explain how to run games. Then, armed with knowledge of Baker and Harper, running D&D games is a piece of cake.
I've run Dungeon World. It is a good game to recenter yourself as a DM.

I'm not sure if I would consider these games good for novice DM's though.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads