• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some Bars start 'Game Nights'

Coredump

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
[Devil's Advocate]

If I were a bar manager I'd be skeptical. The idea is not to get people to play games, the idea is to get them to buy coffee/beer/munchies/whatever. If a bunch of gamers came in for a session of D&D, I'd want some kind of minimum purchase or a table rental fee.

[/Devil's Advocate]
I don't know. Gamers are famous for snaking during games. Assuming you were not allowed to bring snacks and drinks in with you... it would be a natural. I have been in a number of gaming groups where gaming started by eating, either bringing food, or ordering pizza or something.
Also, imagine all those times when you are bored because you are not currently involved in what is going on, even for just 15 minutes.... it would be the perfect time to wander to the bar... it is common practice for people to eat/drink just because they are bored.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Baron Opal said:
I can't imagine that you would want a LAN setup in a bar. Too many liquids around keybords and other electrical devices, even if you limit it to non-alchoholic beverages.
Some creativety and a waterproof keyboard are required...

Patman21967

First Post
The most commonly overheard line

C'mon baby, just a quicky in the mens room, I failed my will save and that damn Necromancer turned me into a zombie....

Or Homer's....we played DnD for 3 hours....and I was killed by an Elf....

I have a hard enough time getting laid, all I need to do is be with a bunch of geeks and powergamers....hahahaha....just kidding....about the hard time I mean...hahahah

der_kluge

Adventurer
thorian said:
What other items do you think would have appeal?

Sexy lesbian Twister.

Well, you asked. ;)

I'm just not sure what I think about gaming in a Bar. The noise would be a huge problem, first off. I can't imagine trying to DM in a bar. Plus, most bars have horrible lighting. So, it would be hard to see. Third, most bars are really stinky, smelly places. It's just not the best environment for that. I would only want to do it if it were a smoke-free establishment.

Devyn said:
When I was in University in Montreal we gamed at "Wanda's" every now and again.

The ale was cheap, but the ambiance was wonderful. :D

Alas ... but all good things eventually come to an end, and when a pair of dice ended up on stage, we were asked to keep both our books in our bags and our "dice" in our pockets.

:confused:

How the HELL did you concentrate on the game?

(in case some people didn't get it or don't know, Wanda's is a strip joint)

AR

WillieW

First Post
Bar-room Gaming

Gaming in a bar is fine, except for some unexpected pitfalls...

I used to host a gaming group in our local hostelry on its traditionally "slow" Tuesday night. The idea was that we would keep the noise levels down and buy a few drinks. Seemed fine.

We had a snug to ourselves, and apart from some curious passersby who'd poke a head over the partition on the way to the restroom, and an occasional longer-term spectator, emboldened by drink, we were left to our own devices.

One logistical problem of drinking in a bar is that in our neck of the woods the local lounge-type bar has small round tables. This meant that though we were in one small area, we were also broken up into sub-groups. Add a modicum of alcohol and these had a tendency to turn into cliques. And clique-ishness has a habit of getting louder and meaner the closer to closing time it is...

Then, of course, the Tuesday-night session was often accompanied by the landlord's money-making ideas, so that we would be roleplaying to the accompaniment of a whiskey promotion. (See twelve swaying role-players in new Whiskey-promotional tee-shirts having won all the raffle-prizes being asked to surrender some to make it fair on the rest of the punters... Heh.)
Or there would be a race-night, or live music...

Anyway, the booze and the game didn't mix, in my experience. I called time on the pub sessions before someone got a live-action smack in the puss.

It might suit some people. Didn't suit us.

Last edited:

Remove ads