• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some character ideas

BlackJaw

First Post
The pilot core class might include some things like this:
Rogue like hit dice with reflex save good. I think that sticking with the concept of a fighter ace, a fighter's set of attack bonuses might be cool.
As for pilot powers, I'd say a "favored vehicle" system that gives you a +1 bonus to piloting checks in a vehicle of your choice. every time you get that class feature again you chose another favored vehicle getting a +1 bonus in that vehicle and a increasing all other favored vehicles by 1. Basicaly like the ranger favored enemey for piloting skill. maybe it should also be a +1 bonus to armor class (insight bonus type transfers to vehicles if the pilot has it)

Bonus feats everyone once in a while is a good idea. limited feat list that would include the feats for aircraft prof, skill focus, dodge, and a bunch of feats we still need to write, but not the classic fighter list. Maybe the rogue powers for reflex saves too, as those are great for a pilot to have. The key here is to give him powers that SOME of which work outside the aircraft, making him a "weak fighter" outside a vehicle, and deadly in one. We should avoid Supernatural and magic powers so that the class works in tech settings. No casting or using fly or featherfall etc.

As far as PrCs:
We should have a "Sky pirate" kind of class. among its class powers we should include an extended sneak attack to the first range incriment on a vehicle weapon instead of the standard 30' range limit. (i'm of the feeling that sneak attacks should work on vehicles because they have all that technical gear in there, not solid stone like a golem, so its possible to have a critical, sneak attack, or ranger favored enemy bonus [vehicle, not construct].)

some one once mentioned a Sky general kind of class. not sure what they wanted inthere power wise though.

A fighter Ace class is a cool idea. For characters willing to take a combat class that only has benefits when your in a vehicle, maybe even a spicific vehicle type or even a bonded vehicle.

The concept of a wizard/sorcerer riding their flying familar is a great idea for a PrC. a requirement would be a familar that can fly (generaly bat, raven, owl... but we might have a feat that causes any familar to grow wings... imagine a winged frog) and at first level of this PrC you learn to make your familar grow to one size larger then you (it can be shrunk down again too.) Every level you get some special binding powers with it kinda like a paladin has with their mount, as well as normal familar enhancing powers. maybe spellcasting level increases every other level.

A spellcaster prc that is designed for using a vehicle as a focus for spells. As you increase in levels you can extend your power over larger and larger vehicles. Invisiblity on a fighter-bomber... blink a helicopter, mage armor on a star-speeder.

Feats:
... kinda at a blank.
feat for ramming interesting (not my idea)
vehicle spealization (increase/better the handling modifier)
feats for improved vehicle construction with a sytle or theme + bonus to the vehicles made.

Spells(& psionics are OGC too!):
some new flying magic type spells. a version of fly that is weaker than fly (much slower and less manuverable... maybe Glide only) but lower in level. A greater flight spell is cool too.

an arcane object repairing spells. Kinda like cure spells, but only works on objects and constructs.

magic to supply "power" to a vehicle, magic to increase speed temporarily, magic to increase manuvering for a while (at lower levels spells to increase turning limits or amounts, at higher levels we are talking a full manuvering catagory increase)

spells to survive vacume.

spells to provide air/clean air and otherwise deal with life support.

Wyvern

Explorer
BlackJaw said:
The pilot core class might include some things like this:
Rogue like hit dice with reflex save good. I think that sticking with the concept of a fighter ace, a fighter's set of attack bonuses might be cool.
As for pilot powers, I'd say a "favored vehicle" system that gives you a +1 bonus to piloting checks in a vehicle of your choice. every time you get that class feature again you chose another favored vehicle getting a +1 bonus in that vehicle and a increasing all other favored vehicles by 1. Basicaly like the ranger favored enemey for piloting skill. maybe it should also be a +1 bonus to armor class (insight bonus type transfers to vehicles if the pilot has it)

Bonus feats everyone once in a while is a good idea. limited feat list that would include the feats for aircraft prof, skill focus, dodge, and a bunch of feats we still need to write, but not the classic fighter list. Maybe the rogue powers for reflex saves too, as those are great for a pilot to have. The key here is to give him powers that SOME of which work outside the aircraft, making him a "weak fighter" outside a vehicle, and deadly in one. We should avoid Supernatural and magic powers so that the class works in tech settings. No casting or using fly or featherfall etc.
Er, the Pilot class I included already fits most of those criteria. Did you actually have any problems with it *besides* the fact that it's based on the one from Dragonstar? Compatibility shouldn't be a problem since I altered it to use my own feats and vehicle control proficiencies, and I can go over it again to make sure it works with the latest version of the piloting rules.

As far as PrCs:
We should have a "Sky pirate" kind of class. among its class powers we should include an extended sneak attack to the first range incriment on a vehicle weapon instead of the standard 30' range limit. (i'm of the feeling that sneak attacks should work on vehicles because they have all that technical gear in there, not solid stone like a golem, so its possible to have a critical, sneak attack, or ranger favored enemy bonus [vehicle, not construct].)
Well, what do you think of my Skydancer class? It doesn't have sneak attack, but it works as a sky pirate in most other respects. I just didn't use that name because I didn't want it to be limited to outlaws and raiders.

A fighter Ace class is a cool idea. For characters willing to take a combat class that only has benefits when your in a vehicle, maybe even a spicific vehicle type or even a bonded vehicle.
Again, this is pretty much covered by my Pilot core class.

The concept of a wizard/sorcerer riding their flying familar is a great idea for a PrC. a requirement would be a familar that can fly (generaly bat, raven, owl... but we might have a feat that causes any familar to grow wings... imagine a winged frog) and at first level of this PrC you learn to make your familar grow to one size larger then you (it can be shrunk down again too.) Every level you get some special binding powers with it kinda like a paladin has with their mount, as well as normal familar enhancing powers. maybe spellcasting level increases every other level.

A spellcaster prc that is designed for using a vehicle as a focus for spells. As you increase in levels you can extend your power over larger and larger vehicles. Invisiblity on a fighter-bomber... blink a helicopter, mage armor on a star-speeder.
Those are pretty cool concepts, and I might take a stab at them... *after* I finish updating what I've already done.

Feats:
... kinda at a blank.
feat for ramming interesting (not my idea)
vehicle spealization (increase/better the handling modifier)
feats for improved vehicle construction with a sytle or theme + bonus to the vehicles made.
I already had a number of feats in my character creation chapter. Some of them may be obsolete or redundant, but most of them are still useful.

Spells(& psionics are OGC too!):
some new flying magic type spells. a version of fly that is weaker than fly (much slower and less manuverable... maybe Glide only) but lower in level. A greater flight spell is cool too.

an arcane object repairing spells. Kinda like cure spells, but only works on objects and constructs.

magic to supply "power" to a vehicle, magic to increase speed temporarily, magic to increase manuvering for a while (at lower levels spells to increase turning limits or amounts, at higher levels we are talking a full manuvering catagory increase)

spells to survive vacume.

spells to provide air/clean air and otherwise deal with life support.
Many of those ideas are covered by spells I've already done. For the others, I'll see what I can come up with. I originally planned to include a Refresh Air spell, but I threw it out because I couldn't figure out how to deal with the volume limits. Does your vehicle creation system include any kind of volume measurement, like Spelljammer's "tons"?

Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
Like I said, I hadn't read your chapters in a long time. And yes my only real problem with much of it was its was "idea theft." although back then I was agiants the pilot class all togeather. I now understand and admit that it is needed and a good idea. One similar to dragon star is maybe even a good thing, as long as it is designed with our system not their system (which is just some odd skill checks at set distances and such. boring, and not something I would have wanted a class in.)

I really like the idea of sneak attacks being made on vehicles, but 30' is the sneak attack range. a class that extends that for ONLY vehicle weapons (to just a single range incriment) is a nifty idea I think. maybe just to 150' (5 spaces, where as 6 spaces in "normal" melee combat).

Note on tonnage. Its a ship measurement use for water vehicles (many spelljammers where based on water-ships) and has to do with how many tons of watter the vehicle displaces. its a term not used for aircrafts.

I do have a basic system for air supply (how long it lasts) in the life support components. its not clean (yet).

Remove ads