• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some help with a PC

Pelwrath

First Post
This is my PC in a Red hand of Doom Campaign. So far, I feel that I've been almost totaly useless. I've done stuff with him dealing with being a Tiefing, which he didn't know when the adventure started and I designed himas a city thief and have slowly been having him become more comfortable with this adventuring thing, yet all the combats and encounters so far have been of little connection for a thief or have I just been missing something in the encounters? Any and all comments are welcome. Yes, I stole the name from liturature.

NAME:Hanze
Human/Tiefing[-1lvl]

HGT:5'10"
WGT:175lb
SEX:M
EXP:21,000[28,000]
LEVEL: 6th thief/7th ECL
ALIGN:N
DIETY: Tymora, if any

STR:13...+1
DEX:20[22]+5[+6]
CON:14...+2
INT:18...+4
WIS:12...+1
CHA:10...+0

HTK:33

Base Attack:+4
FORT Save:..+2+2=+4
REF Save:...+5+6=+11
WILL Save:..+2+1=+3
Initiative:.+6

ABILITIES
Sneak Attack:+3d6, when target flanked or denied DEX
Trapfinding
Trap Sense+2
Evasion
Uncanny Dodge
*Darkvision 60'
*Resistance of 5 vs cold,fire and electricity
Darkness 1/day @6th lvl

LANGUAGES
*Common, Infernal. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc

FEATS
Dodge:=+1AC vs 1 opp.
Combat Reflexes:AoO=DEX med.
Point Blank Shot[+1 to hit with missle weapons upto 30']
Mobility:+4dodge AC vs AoO

SKILLS(+13pts/lvl)
Hide(D)......................9+6D+2r...+17
Move Silent(D)...............9+6D......+15
Sleight of Hand(D)...........8+6D+2sy..+16
Disable Device(D)............8+6D......+14
Open Lock(D).................8+6D......+14
Search(I)....................9+4I......+13
Rope Use(D)..................6+6D......+12
Climb(S).....................8+1S+2sy..+11
Knowledge-Local(I)...........6+4I......+10
Intimidate(Ch)...............9+2sy.....+11
Bluff(Ch)....................9+2r......+11
Spot(W)......................8+1W......+9
Listen(W)....................8+1W......+9
Gather Information(Ch).......6+2sy.....+8
Perform(Dance)[Ch]...........5+........+5

COMBAT
AC:10+6DEX+4armor=20 w/dodge 21
To hit rapier: +7 to hit for 1d6+3 18-20x2
To hit Thrown dagger:+12/+10/+8if 10/20/30 or+4>30'1d4+1 19-20x2;10'r.
To hit Dart +12/+10/+9 if 20/30/40 or +6 >40' for 1d4+1 20x2;20'r.
To hit hand x-bow if +11/+8 if 30/60 for 1d4 19-20x2;30'r.
Note:+3d6 sneak damage may apply.

EQUIPMENT
Rapier+2
Gloves of Dex+2-4,000
MW Hand x-bow-400
16-bolts-2
MW silver Rapier-320+
MW Std leather armor-175
Mithral Shirt
Hewards Haversack-2,000
MW potion belt-5
2-MW silver daggers-640(at side)
8-daggers-16(1@boot,forearm,upperarm and 2 behind neck)
10-darts-5
1-Acid-20
2-Alchemists Fire-40
2-Antitoxin-100
3-Thunderstone-90
2-Potion:pass w/o Trace-150
3-Potion:Hide from Animals-150
2-Potions:Jump-150
2-Potions:CMW
Potion:Heroism-750
Shield of Faith+4-600
Lesser Restoration-300
MW Thieves tools-100
50' silk rope-10
3-Belt pouches-3
5-calthropes-5
crowbar-2
10-packets of ground pepper-1

MONEY
701gp
26sp
100cp

BACKGROUND
The shadows! I don't know why, but I feel that I belong to them. It's like I'm at home when I'm there. Oh, I'm not uncomfortable outside of them it's just that I'm more comfortable IN them. It's like I'm as much a part of them as they are of me.
Hanze, at times, Shadowspawn. I never knew my father and my mother died when I was eight. A street urchin and then promising apprentice thief. I've since graduated. I've been rich and poor in the past. Sometimes both in the same week.
Protege of Cuttback Two Eye's(known for his two different colored eyes)Cuttback hasn't been heard from in almost 5 years.
It might be unusual for a thief to have friends and that, in most cases, would be true. However, I've have established a small friendship with several of the dneizens of the Street O'Thieves. Marleana-a diviner; Dem "Corkie" Nackle-a healer/alchemist and Garon-owner of The Ol' Boar Inn.
I hold no one diety over nor under any other. However, I do feel that most priest do just what I do just that, for them, it's legal. On magic, lets just say that we don't get along. I do my best to leave it alone and I expect it to do the same.
I pride myself on having a good memory and being quick with my weapons as well as the ladies. I've discovered, for unknown reasons people like to here me tell stories and it seems that I have a fair talent for it.
I don't believe in wanton murder nor rape. One is kind of like killing the sheep after you fleeced it. Just let it live and it could be fleeced again. If you've got to take a ladies favours by force then you're no man.
I've developed a few contacts in the city militia, especially Felosital and rumor has it, at one time I broke into the Council Hall and stole their seal-aren't rumor's funny things.
My eyes are my trait-no color just black pools.

Quartz

Hero
How do you see your role? Are you a striker or a sniper? You've taken a wide variety of feats rather than focus yourself. You've got 2 dodging feats, a ranged combat feat, and a close combat feat. In fact, haven't you've got one feat too many for a non-human? You should have 3 feats - 1st, 3rd, and 6th, yet you've got 4. You might consider taking 2 levels of fighter and getting Weapon Finesse - +6 to hit - and another feat, and then a level of Monk with Power Attack for your 9th level feat. Because the only Light weapons with which you can Power Attack are natural ones.

If you can rebuild the character to account for the feat you shouldn't have, drop the Mobility and Dodge feats for Weapon Finesse. With +6 to hit, you're going to hit much more often. Then 2 levels of fighter for the feats (recovering Dodge and Mobility) and at 9th level take Spring Attack with either a level in Rogue or Monk.

Pelwrath

First Post
Rebuild

Thanks Quartz, for the feedback. The DM had said that as a human I was entitled to the human bonus feat, at least I think he said that. The weapon finese is on my list for my next feat. I was also planing on talking up the Shadowdancer Prestige class.
I hadn't thought of myself as fitting any role, perhaps that is my problem, jack of all, master of none. If I can rebuild him, would two weapons/ambidextrous be a viable choice?

Quartz

Hero
Right. You really need Weapon Finesse. But rather than waste a valuable feat on TWF, unless you're going the whole TWF tree, take a level or two of Monk, and you get Flurry, which is TWF with restricted weapons. You'll need an alignment shift, but this is RPable as 'learning self-discipline'. Actually, as you're wanting to become a Shadowdancer, why are you taking levels in Rogue anyway? Can you plead with your GM for a rebuild? Monk 4 / Ftr 2 or Mk 2 / Ftr 4 is much more sensible. If your GM will allow it, swap Wis and Int.

If you can't swap the Wis and Int, consider the duellist class instead - Mk 2 / Ftr 4 -so you get the full AC benefit of your Int (in due course).

Pelwrath

First Post
Interesting!

I'd never thought of doing monk or fighter, due to the skiil requirements for the class. I'll look at the duelist and see what it has.

Remove ads