• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some house rules IMC.

drexes

First Post
IMC we have play tested these rules pretty thoroughly and after discussing them with my group we really like them. The first rule is something i got for a board somewhere a long time ago. So whoever, wherever, thanks.

Turn Undead
Instead of the turn undead rules in the Player’s Handbook, we will use the following variant from Complete Divine with some necessary modifications. Instead of making undead run and cower, turn attempts deal positive energy damage to all undead within a 30 ft. radius burst of the cleric. The goal of this variant system is to have the cleric contribute to the destruction of the undead in a fashion that interacts well with the other characters in the party such as the fighter and the wizard. Sometimes when the undead are turned they run away and are never seen again, or they are destroyed outright. Other times when undead are turned, there are no effects at all. This variant provides a more consistent, simpler method of dealing with the turning of undead.

Turning undead is a standard action that deals 1d6 damage/cleric level to all undead within a 30-ft. radius burst of the cleric. The affected undead get a Will save (DC 10 + cleric level + Charisma modifier) for half damage.

Evil clerics (or any cleric that can swap out spells for inflict spells) instead heal undead under their control or harm enemy undead within 30 feet for 1d6/cleric level + Charisma modifier. Paladins work just as you would expect, they turn undead as a cleric three levels lower.

House Rule: Undead with turn resistance now treat that ability as damage reduction verses turning damage, at a rate of DR 3 per point of turn resistance. Thus, a vampire with turn resistance 4 would essentially have DR 12/– verses turning damage. Turn resistance does not reduce the effects of the healing that evil clerics provide with their turn attempts.

When this ability is used against incorporeal creatures, you do not have to roll a 50% miss chance; turning hits them automatically.

House Rule: Under this variant system, a greater turning works like an empowered spell. After rolling turning damage, multiply the result by 1.5.

House Rule: Some turning feats work differently under this system.

Disciple of the Sun: You may spend two turn attempts in a single round to perform a greater turning.

Exalted Turning: Instead of dealing extra damage, this feat increases the save DC of turn undead by 2, or by 4 on consecrated ground. On hallowed ground the save DC is increased by 6. These increases stack with the sacred bonuses for turning undead on consecrated and hallowed ground (see the individual spell descriptions for more details).

Quicken Turning: This feat works as described on page 84 of Complete Divine, except that it now costs one turn attempt to quicken a turn undead.
Widen Turning: This feat replaces Empower Turning. When you perform a turn undead, you may spend two turn attempts to double your turn undead radius from 30 feet to 60 feet.

The effects of Disciple of the Sun, Quicken Turning, and Widen Turning stack.
This will encourage the use of turn undead as it is simple and profitable for pc clerics, who tend to use flame strike for ‘turning’ undead at present. Any feats not covered will be converted on a case by case basis.

Spell Save DC

Spell save dc’s will be done with a new method that will increase dc’s only one or two points in most circumstances while taking into account caster level and a sense of randomness. It may seem like more to remember but all spell’s dc’s can be calculated as they will be a static bonus to a save dc roll.
DC = d20 + ½ spell level + 1/3 caster level + ability score mod.
All fractions are to be rounded up. Thus a 1st level wizard with an 18 intelligence would cast a spell with a save dc of d20 + 6. Under the old rule his save dc would have been 15.

Critical Hits & Sneak Attacks/Skirmish on Undead/Constructs

Whenever an attack roll threatens a critical hit on a creature otherwise immune to critical hits, you may roll to confirm. On a successful critical hit, any critical based weapon effects (i.e. burst quality, etc.) occur normally. In addition, you may roll damage dice a number of times equal to your weapons critical modifier and take the highest result. In other words if you threaten a critical hit against a zombie using a longsword then you roll to confirm the critical hit normally. If the critical hit succeeds you may roll 2d8 for damage taking the higher die roll. If you were using a warhammer in the above example you would roll 3d8 and take the best result.

Sneak attack is a different ability. Even so when your attack would qualify as a sneak attack you can gain some extra damage against the creature. For every d6 of sneak attack damage you normally do, you do one extra point of damage to undead or constructs that you hit with a sneak attack.

Both of these apply to corporeal creatures that are immune to sneak attack and critical hits by nature. These changes do not apply to uncanny defense or the like.

Drexes

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
drexes said:
DC = d20 + ½ spell level + 1/3 caster level + ability score mod.
Other than the d20 roll, this is very close to the usual way. Is the extra hassle of calculation really worth it? :\

drexes

First Post
the extra hassle allows caster level to play a role in save dc and allows for some fluidity to the nature of magic in my campaign. Plus you can simply have the modifiers precalculated just like a fighter has his attack roll calculated, so there is really no hassle. The world of Obsydia is based on a couple of unique factors, fluid magic, multi-religion (not the same as patheonic), and cultural separation. Saying that the rule really helped define the nature I was trying to achieve.

Drexes

Paraxis

Explorer
Whenever an attack roll threatens a critical hit on a creature otherwise immune to critical hits, you may roll to confirm. On a successful critical hit, any critical based weapon effects (i.e. burst quality, etc.) occur normally. In addition, you may roll damage dice a number of times equal to your weapons critical modifier and take the highest result. In other words if you threaten a critical hit against a zombie using a longsword then you roll to confirm the critical hit normally. If the critical hit succeeds you may roll 2d8 for damage taking the higher die roll. If you were using a warhammer in the above example you would roll 3d8 and take the best result.

This is nice, I like it alot. Very Cool.

The sneak attack, not so sure about that, just doens't feel right to me.

I used a similar Turning sytem for awhile but I didn't like it after a couple game sessions, I still don't like the normal turning rules either.

The Spell DC, if it fits your world thats great just seems clunky untile you do the math and right it down. If magic is so fluid do you do anything special when you roll a 1 or 20 on the roll to determine DC. Maybe a free empower on 20 and a revese empower on a 1.

drexes

First Post
I know it seems clunky at first but it really worked out well. I hadn't thought of anything for crit hits and misses, I'll think about it though. As for the sneak attack/skirmish thing I figured it would work because the sneak attacker can still hit the cartlidge of a skeletons joints or the skirmisher can still use a degree of his momentum to aid his blows, but both to a lesser extent than in other situations.

As for the spell level and slots comment, I guess I should further define what I mean by fluid. Casters still work in the same way as they do in say the forgotten realms, except that in most world magic use is based off of tapping into the 'weave' which is to a great extent a constant. In Obsydia casters still learn specific spells and such, but when the tap into the 'universal magical force' they find not a weave but a ever-changing flow of fluid like a river whose breadth and current are in constant flux. The higher the caster level the more adept the caster is at controlling this energy.

I would however be interested in finding a system of magic that is more free form as my world is divided into many cultures that exist at the same time but have different methods for tasks/ different religions. I have a world with a celtic culture, an islamic culture, a dendrocentric culture, two separate norse cultures, an eastern philosphy meets western development culture, a nomadic barbarian culture, a binitarianist (two deities in the religion)arthurian culture, and a mercantile culture, all existing on one continent with each having thier own unique views on religion, magic, social norms, morals, etc. All in all it's fun and in my experience unique in the gaming atmosphere.

Drexes

Stalker0

Legend
The main effect of the spell dc change is higher level casters cast their low levels spells iwth much higher dcs than normal.

Normal: 20th level caster, 18 int, 2nd level spell: DC 16
Modified: DC 21

Ilium

First Post
Stalker0 said:
The main effect of the spell dc change is higher level casters cast their low levels spells iwth much higher dcs than normal.

Normal: 20th level caster, 18 int, 2nd level spell: DC 16
Modified: DC 21
Also, the random factor is nice, since it allows casters a "casting roll." I think this is more fun for the player, plus if you use Action Points or a similar mechanic you can now apply it to casting. Cool.

drexes

First Post
As for the comment above, I think a 20th level caster should cast a 1st level spell with a more difficult save. It would seem wierd to me if Raistlin and joebob the apprentice both had the same save for a fireball...just a thought...

Drexes

drexes said:
As for the comment above, I think a 20th level caster should cast a 1st level spell with a more difficult save. It would seem wierd to me if Raistlin and joebob the apprentice both had the same save for a fireball...just a thought...
Already modeled by the rules. Raistlin's Intelligence is, like, way higher, plus he probably has a bunch of feats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads