• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Some Interesting Stats About D&D Players!

Did you know that the majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition?

Phandelver-and-Below_Cover-Art_-Art-by-Antonio-Jose-Manzanedo-1260x832.jpg

The full cover spread for Phandelver and Below, by Antonio José Manzanedo

GeekWire has reported on the recent D&D press event (which I've covered elsewhere). Along with all the upcoming product information we've all been devouring over the last day or two, there were some interesting tidbits regarding D&D player demographics.
  • 60% of D&D players are male, 39% are female, and 1% identify otherwise
  • 60% are “hybrid” players, who switch between playing the game physically or online
  • 58% play D&D on a weekly basis
  • 48% identify as millennials, 19% from Generation X and 33% from Generation Z
  • The majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I find the following
Maine Libary association
Maryland Libary association
Massachuetts libary association
Member of Legistative Assembly
Master of Liberal Arts
Master of Landscaping and Architecture
Meow Love Anytime
Montana Luna assoiciation
etc.
It obviously stands for "Many Lute Adventures," a style of D&D in which the whole party is made up of bards.

Hussar

Legend
Which seems odd, in that if the biggest cohort of players in - let's say 1983, during the 1e heyday - was in the 15-30 age range at that time, those same people would be in the 55-70 range now. Yet that age range doesn't even register on today's survey(s).

So where'd they all go?

In general, if over the years the peak age range among the player base is always in that 15-30 area, that just tells me they've consistently done a good job of marketing to teens and young adults and a consistently poor job of keeping them in for the long haul.

Were I WotC, I'd see an opportunity there.

They left the hobby. Seems pretty logical to me. It’s unlikely that someone who played a couple of years in college kept playing afterward.

People leave the hobby. shrug

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
And before anyone ask, yes I have inside informatiom, no I won’t comment on it any further except to say that there are a bunch of people trying to fix this.
LOL. In my experiece, people that claim to have "inside informatiom" but don't cite sources or provide verifiable evidence don't actually have "inside informatiom" or anything else.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Boomer has also become more commonly referred to as anyone with old fashioned ideas. I was told that my putting two spaces behind a period at the end of the sentence marked me as a boomer. But as a Gen Xer, I don't really care what people call me.
I was taught to put the two spaces in, and that's what I do.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As far as WOTC is concerned? They aren't a target audience for new development.

This all assumes the information is at all accurate, which I would question. In any case, if you aren't buying current books they do provide a lot of the old material on DmsGuild, I think that's about all you can ever expect.

We don't know exactly where this data came from, what it's purpose is. An independent survey/study might get better detail and more information but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The issue is, they should not refer to "all D&D players" if they actually mean, "all our customers". They are not the same.

Remove ads

Remove ads