• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Some Interesting Stats About D&D Players!

Did you know that the majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition?

Phandelver-and-Below_Cover-Art_-Art-by-Antonio-Jose-Manzanedo-1260x832.jpg

The full cover spread for Phandelver and Below, by Antonio José Manzanedo

GeekWire has reported on the recent D&D press event (which I've covered elsewhere). Along with all the upcoming product information we've all been devouring over the last day or two, there were some interesting tidbits regarding D&D player demographics.
  • 60% of D&D players are male, 39% are female, and 1% identify otherwise
  • 60% are “hybrid” players, who switch between playing the game physically or online
  • 58% play D&D on a weekly basis
  • 48% identify as millennials, 19% from Generation X and 33% from Generation Z
  • The majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition

MGibster

Legend
Nowhere.
They started with nonWOTC D&D and still play nonWOTC D&D.
I suspect a lot of people who played on a regular basis during their adolescence and early twenties have stopped playing for a variety of reasons. While I'm still gaming, there was a period of my life I simply didn't have the time to sit down and play a game on a regular basis. Several of the people I used to game with in high school no longer play.

Oofta

Legend
Which seems odd, in that if the biggest cohort of players in - let's say 1983, during the 1e heyday - was in the 15-30 age range at that time, those same people would be in the 55-70 range now. Yet that age range doesn't even register on today's survey(s).

So where'd they all go?

In general, if over the years the peak age range among the player base is always in that 15-30 area, that just tells me they've consistently done a good job of marketing to teens and young adults and a consistently poor job of keeping them in for the long haul.

Were I WotC, I'd see an opportunity there.

A few options of where they went.
  • They're playing old school games.
  • They stopped playing. People get careers, have kids, life gets busy and something has to give.
  • The categories is misleading, much like older surveys the 40+ group isn't further broken down in to categories.
  • There are so many new players that even though a significant number of people from back when still play, their numbers are low in comparison.
  • The data is flawed for multiple reasons. People answer questions with an age that they believe will get them noticed. It's widely accepted that most companies companies don't care much about older people so people put in a younger age so their vote in surveys is actually considered.
I suspect it's a combination of everything above.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I suspect a lot of people who played on a regular basis during their adolescence and early twenties have stopped playing for a variety of reasons. While I'm still gaming, there was a period of my life I simply didn't have the time to sit down and play a game on a regular basis. Several of the people I used to game with in high school no longer play.
My point is that even with people leaving and stopping all together in a generation, it wouldn't be less that 1% with just that. There are many older ROG fans. Social media is full of older D&D players. They just don't play WOTC D&D and more accurately 5th edition. There are less than 1% of older folk in WOTC data because they dont play this type of D&D.

D&D and TTRPGs go through generations and genres as well.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
My point is that even with people leaving and stopping all together in a generation, it wouldn't be less that 1% with just that. There are many older ROG fans. Social media is full of older D&D players. They just don't play WOTC D&D and more accurately 5th edition. There are less than 1% of older folk in WOTC data because they dont play this type of D&D.

D&D and TTRPGs go through generations and genres as well.
You've made a few assumptions that aren't supported by the very limited data we have.

Wizards did not suggest that they are only tracking players of 5e. Their actual actions have made it clear that they will sell to people who don't play 5e.

Your social media circle of Baby Boomer D&D players isn't likely to be greater than 100,000 people. Plus, the social media spread of people 60+ isn't great. Boomers tend not to be on social media, with only two platforms having a majority of Boomers use them at least once a week.

People's tastes do change. Just look at the type of media that Boomers enjoyed when they were teens compared to what they enjoy now -- 60s/70s pop radio became classics with much, much smaller audiences, the TV shows they watch now are the most popular but what they watched then as kids was counter-culture.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Anti-inclusive content
Luckily, people who think inclusivity is a 'crazy political agenda' can and should be handily ignored.

Ah, the good ol’ thoughts police and bigotry of ENWorld…

No one is against inclusivity, Just take a look at house of the dragon and how well it was received. The fact that this is your goto response just shows how close minded you are.

Fact of the matter is that marvel phase 4 was filled with bad movies and series because it pushed agenda over good story telling, you see the results right now with how the movies flops, ignoring the fact that it affected HaT potential audience, the same audience you need to pay for said move if we want to have a good sequel is wishful thinking.

But hey, keep posting snide remarks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, the good ol’ thoughts police and bigotry of ENWorld…

No one is against inclusivity, Just take a look at house of the dragon and how well it was received. The fact that this is your goto response just shows how close minded you are.

Fact of the matter is that marvel phase 4 was filled with bad movies and series because it pushed agenda over good story telling, you see the results right now with how the movies flops, ignoring the fact that it affected HaT potential audience, the same audience you need to pay for said move if we want to have a good sequel is wishful thinking.

But hey, keep posting snide remarks.
Ok. You are willfully and deliberately ignoring our warnings. When I ask you to take your feet off my furniture, you do it or you get the #### out. For now, take a week’s break. Next time will be permanent, which I suspect is a when not an if.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
You've made a few assumptions that aren't supported by the very limited data we have.

Wizards did not suggest that they are only tracking players of 5e. Their actual actions have made it clear that they will sell to people who don't play 5e.

Your social media circle of Baby Boomer D&D players isn't likely to be greater than 100,000 people. Plus, the social media spread of people 60+ isn't great. Boomers tend not to be on social media, with only two platforms having a majority of Boomers use them at least once a week.

People's tastes do change. Just look at the type of media that Boomers enjoyed when they were teens compared to what they enjoy now -- 60s/70s pop radio became classics with much, much smaller audiences, the TV shows they watch now are the most popular but what they watched then as kids was counter-culture.

I’m assuming you mean Gen X and not Boomers.

Ahhh the forgotten generation….

Remove ads

Remove ads