WotC Some news on March of the Machine (other MtG sets), effects D&D settings

Clearly settings D&D/MtG settings like Theros, Ravnica, and Archvious will be effected extremely in this set and one wonders how this will effect D&D's approach in the future and how much of this stuff will be dmsguild legal.

And their is even more change and story for the planes in Aftermath set.

In other MtG news today we got previews for no less then 4 different sets, Alchemy: Phyrexia, Shadows Over Innistrad Remastered (Arena only), Commander Masters (this ****ing set came out of no where, they did NOT announce it with the other sets for this year, last year), and Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth.

The Commander Decks for Commander Masters are Eldrazi deck, a Slivers Deck, a Planeswalker Deck, and a Theros Enchantress deck (this one interests me the most). 10 new cards, including Commanders for them. They are unusually expensive, $68usd per deck. Most likely too rich for my blood.

This is ****ing crazy.

This sounds like the equivalent to DC crisis of the infinite earths. I guess after this event we will see "opened doors" for possible crossovers, and I mean not only with D&D or other Hasbro's franchises, but also from other companies. Hasbro is used to licenced products.

Other possibility is to create from zero a new collectable card game, for casual players, but reusing the same lore and background. But here the disavangate is a potential rival of the main card game. A miniature wargame? Maybe, the playtesting would be better in a videogame mode, something like an "early access" within D&D-One.

The strategy of the licences could alter the D&D Multiverse, but here the Aquiles heel or weak point is D&D isn't too ready for crossovers with no-fantasy franchises. If it was so easy, Gamma World would be one of the next settings to be updated to 5th. The "reboot" of D&D Hasbro multiverse could be used as excuse for possible changes, for example new PC species added to previous settings (Greyhawk, Dark Sun or Birthright...).

dave2008

Legend
I think this will have minimal effect on D&D settings already released as we will not get any new books for those settings. I guess someone on the guild might be able to include bits in a product, but I am not sure.

I think this will have minimal effect on D&D settings already released as we will not get any new books for those settings. I guess someone on the guild might be able to include bits in a product, but I am not sure.

I do wish they'd make it clearer what parts of an event set can be used for dmsguild, like can I mention New Phyrexia if I'm doing say a Phyrexian invasion of Theros adventure, can I even mention where the invaders are coming from? Can I use Elish Norn? Like what if she shows up on Ravnica? I think we deserve a more detailed Q&A session on this.

This sounds like the equivalent to DC crisis of the infinite earths. I guess after this event we will see "opened doors" for possible crossovers, and I mean not only with D&D or other Hasbro's franchises, but also from other companies. Hasbro is used to licenced products.

Other possibility is to create from zero a new collectable card game, for casual players, but reusing the same lore and background. But here the disavangate is a potential rival of the main card game. A miniature wargame? Maybe, the playtesting would be better in a videogame mode, something like an "early access" within D&D-One.

The strategy of the licences could alter the D&D Multiverse, but here the Aquiles heel or weak point is D&D isn't too ready for crossovers with no-fantasy franchises. If it was so easy, Gamma World would be one of the next settings to be updated to 5th. The "reboot" of D&D Hasbro multiverse could be used as excuse for possible changes, for example new PC species added to previous settings (Greyhawk, Dark Sun or Birthright...).

No none D&D in setting crossovers, Mark Rosewater already said this won't invovle Universes Beyond, he did not preclude a D&D cross-over however which is not UB.

Remove ads