• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some PC designs bouncing in my head...

PoorHobo

First Post
The Brawler Fighter...is that just a Fighter with a gauntlet or is it something I can only build with online resources? In addition, is it a Fighter ONLY build, or would it work with something like Barbarian or another warrior class?

The Brawler fighter style is a Fighter talent (thus only open to full fighters) as opposed to the one and two handed weapon talents, tempest techniqe etc... Outside of the talent, which grants bonuses to unarmed and grabbing, there are a fighter powers that are based of having a melee weapon in one hand, and an empty hand in the other (including at-wills), you would need to be a fighter or a hybrid fighter to have access to those powers, though not nessecarily have the brawler talent

A spiked gauntlet is a simple weapon, otherwise. No other class I know of has powers tied to having a free empty hand.

All the info you would need is in Martial Power 2, since I read you don't have a DDI account, that is the book you would need access to for a brawler fighter. it contains the brawler fighter talent and all the powers related to that fighting style.

circadianwolf

First Post
The only other problem is that a brawler fighter will be using a guantlet, but warlock powers need an implement. I think there are feats you can take later that allows you to merge them, in the mean time when its time to whip out your implement you can use your off hand and then put it away when it its time to jump back into the fray

Actually, as a warforged he could embed an implement so he wouldn't have to draw it to use it, so no problems there.

If you want to just use your fists rather than actually grab people, it's better and easier to just reflavor something else than to actually be a brawler. (Even my brawler fighter actually reflavors a longsword as a fist, just b/c spiked gauntlets kind of suck as weapons.) From there, fighter or barbarian or even melee ranger, etc., depends on what role you want to perform and how you want to perform it. (For synergy, barbarians love high con, as do battlerager fighters (from Martial Power 1)).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...not planning on buying any of the "Power" books. Unless someone else does- and that's extremely unlikely- I guess I'll be sticking to Monk/Warlock.

About that & the Hybrid rules...did I read the Hybrid Warlock properly to find that it does not start off with Eldritch Blast? IOW, I'll still have to burn a feat to gain that basic class ability? If so, which one? Hybrids are prevented from taking multiclass feats related to their own classes.

Or do I count Eldritch Blast as one of the 1st level powers that I take when designing the class (IOW, still not getting it merely for being a Warlock)?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Upon further reflection...I could simply use a spiked/bladed gauntlet of some kind, keeping the Warlock implement in the off-hand, since Hellboy isn't a "grappler" per se- he just punches a lot.

In which case, I may wish to rethink the Monk part of the equation anyway. Perhaps one of the more martially-oriented divine classes, possibly with healing built in, since Hellboy is pretty tough. Avenger? Paladin?

Saagael

First Post
Monk/Warlock would mean you have to keep Strength, Dexterity and Constitution all up, which entirely a bad idea since a warforged can start with a 16 in all three (after racial bonuses are applied).

However, the Brawler fighter would fit the theme better from what I can see, and it would require keeping less stats (just strength and constitution). That, and there's a paragon path called the Avernian Knight for the fighter that lets the fighter use any weapons as an implement for warlock attacks, and gives some cool powers. That seems precisely what you'd want for a Hellboy-esque character.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What level are you starting at? I'd be happy to try and throw something together for you!

Thank you for the offer, but right now, this thread is all just my brainstorming PC concepts.*

Whether the campaign will ever launch is pure speculation: the guy who had voiced a desire to run a 4Ed game was putting it off until after the current 3.5 game's story arc resolved, so it wouldn't begin until later this year...if at all. He hasn't mentioned it recently, even though I sent an email to our group about how I expanded my 4Ed purchases to the PHB2 & 3 and the FR & Eberron books.

And so I don't have any idea as to possible starting level...though I'd suspect we'd go for 1st simply out of tradition.

However, the Brawler fighter would fit the theme better from what I can see, and it would require keeping less stats (just strength and constitution). That, and there's a paragon path called the Avernian Knight for the fighter that lets the fighter use any weapons as an implement for warlock attacks, and gives some cool powers. That seems precisely what you'd want for a Hellboy-esque character.

Oh, I agree that the Brawler Fighter seems to be the best fit presented thus far, but like I said, I'm not inclined to expand my 4Ed purchases further at this point, and I don't have a DDI account. And won't.

As for stats...we'd probably either go with actual die rolling, or someone's custom point distribution method, not an array.

* Anyone have any suggestions for Tommy Bahamut?

PoorHobo

First Post
* Anyone have any suggestions for Tommy Bahamut?

For Box also check into the dual wielding classes, a Barbarian dual wielding gauntlets, its riders are con based which works well with a infernal warlock. You can also reflavor the more supernatural actions as having a hellish or infernal flavor to it. a gauntlet will allow you to draw and use the wand as needed but you will need to put it away to use barbarian dual wielding powers

For Tommy a cunning bard / artificer works quite well, synergy with Cha and Int throwing the rest of your points (or 3rd highest roll) into con to boost your dragon born breath and artificer riders.

jbear

First Post
What about Tommy Bahamut as a Bard/Paladin Hybrid? It would make good use of his racial bonus to STR and synergies with CHA. It fits quite well with 'the spreading the message of peace' concept via music. You could take the Love and Sun domain (which fits in with his desire to relax on a sunny beach). You could have some real fun with his Divine Challenge, either using lyrics from Jimmey Buffets songs or just something like:'Dude, either you relax or I'm gonna make you relax!'

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For Box also check into the dual wielding classes...

Thats the Ranger & Rogue, right? As I recall, though, the Rogue powers require blades...and they're not all that durable and straightforward. Rogues are subtle and sneaky- Hellboy is as subtle as a crowbar to the side of the face.

Good point about the gauntlet not interfering with drawing his Warlock implement, though.

For Tommy a cunning bard / artificer works quite well, synergy with Cha and Int throwing the rest of your points (or 3rd highest roll) into con to boost your dragon born breath and artificer riders.

I figured they'd synergize well.

To explain, I'm still trying to develop his personality and some schticks. TB was my first 4Ed concept, and I knew he had to be a Bard of some kind...but that got derailed by the late intro of that class. As a result, development of him as a character got shelved.

Box had the advantage of being worked out in 3.5 first. Even though he never got played, the concept behind the PC was fully developed.

Ultimately, I want to work both of them out, since I like to have options, just in case a DM doesn't like what I'm doing...and also so that I could provide a PC to someone who may not have the time or have the inclination to design a PC for themselves.
What about Tommy Bahamut as a Bard/Paladin Hybrid?
I don't know that TB's laid-back nature dovetails too well with the regimented mentality and militaristic aspects of the Paladin class, but you may be on to something about hooking him up with the Divine...or Nature? And you've definitely rounded him out a bit with that "Surfer-ist" attitude.

What about Bard/Druid?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads