• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some questions about Sorcerers

HealingAura

First Post
I'm currently playing a Dragonborn Sorcerer and I have some questions:

1. Using a Weapon as an implement:

a. Rogue's Class Feature - Sneak Attack:
Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and are using a weapon from the light blade, the crossbow, or the sling weapon group, an attack you make against that enemy deals extra damage if the attack hits...
When a character uses a light blade as an implement, does it count as if she is "using a weapon" for Sneak Attack?

b. Rogue's Daggermaster Paragon Path Feature - Daggermaster's Action:
You can spend an action point to reroll one attack roll or damage roll you made using a dagger, instead of taking an extra action.
When a character uses a dagger as an implement, does it count as if she is "using a dagger" for Daggermaster's Action?

c. Rogue's DaggerMaster Paragon Path Feature - Dagger Precision:
You can score critical hits with daggers on a roll of 18-20.
When a character uses a dagger as an implement and rolls 18-20, does it count as if she is "scoring a critical hit with daggers" for Dagger Precision?

d. Rogue's DaggerMaster Paragon Path Feature - Dagger Advantage:
When you score a critical hit with a dagger, the target grants combat advantage to your until the end of your next turn.
When a character uses a dagger as an implement and scores a critical hit, does it count as if she is "scoring a critical hit with a dagger" for Dagger Advantage?

2. Bonus to damage rolls:
Sorcerer's Class Feature - Spell Source: Dragon Magic - Draconic Power:
You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Strength modifier...

Sorcerer's level 3 attack Flame Spiral Effect:
Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage.

So do you add your Str modifier to the 1d6 or not?
After all, it is a damage roll that was caused from your arcane power.

Thanks for the help.

Dreadite

First Post

Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and are using a weapon from the light blade, the crossbow, or the sling weapon group, an attack you make against that enemy deals extra damage if the attack hits...
When a character uses a light blade as an implement, does it count as if she is "using a weapon" for Sneak Attack?

You can spend an action point to reroll one attack roll or damage roll you made using a dagger, instead of taking an extra action.
When a character uses a dagger as an implement, does it count as if she is "using a dagger" for Daggermaster's Action?

When a character uses a dagger as an implement and rolls 18-20, does it count as if she is "scoring a critical hit with daggers" for Dagger Precision?

When you score a critical hit with a dagger, the target grants combat advantage to your until the end of your next turn.
When a character uses a dagger as an implement and scores a critical hit, does it count as if she is "scoring a critical hit with a dagger" for Dagger Advantage?

I don't know so much about #2 (I'd be inclined to say yes), but for all of the above: No, no, no, and no.

When a weapon is an implement, it's not a weapon. (Sorta stupid, but that's how it works. It's acting as an implement and ceases to be a weapon, and loses the Weapon property for that instant.)

So daggermaster might not be the most attractive paragon path for a multiclass sorcerer. :)

Last edited:

Akaiku

First Post
When a weapon is an implement, it's not a weapon. (Sorta stupid, but that's how it works. It's acting as an implement and ceases to be a weapon, and loses the Weapon property for that instant.)

So daggermaster might not be the most attractive paragon path for a multiclass sorcerer. :)

While that might be the case, nowhere does the daggermaster paragon path claim you need to be using a weapon, nor does it mention a weapon at all. It says dagger. You are using a dagger. That dagger might not be a weapon when you are using it, but it is still a dagger which the abilities call out.

Daggermaster wild mages ftw!

The true question is what effect increasing the dagger's die size has to sorcerer attacks, if any. (daggermaster utility)

James McMurray

First Post
Reskin the Daggermaster as a "Rider on the Arcane Razor" or soemsuch and you're set. The powers you get will still suck for your class, but the abilities will work fine.

Byronic

First Post
It seems to work according to Raw, although you would be doing a lot of damage. Especially if you added a wraithblade.

MrMyth

First Post
I'm not sure if my interpretation matches up with the current FAQ/Errata/etc on how Weapon Implements work... but here is how I read these as:

I would say no. You are using a dagger as an implement, not as a weapon from the light blade weapon group.

Yes. You are indeed using a dagger.

Yes. (As powerful as it is). You are indeed using a dagger.

Yes. You are indeed using a dagger.

Sorcerer's level 3 attack Flame Spiral Effect:
Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage.

So do you add your Str modifier to the 1d6 or not?

Yes. You add your Str as bonus damage on any arcane power damage roll. Note this won't add it to any effect that deals static damage - but any time you roll a damage die for an arcane attack power, you will get to add your Str modifier.

The true question is what effect increasing the dagger's die size has to sorcerer attacks, if any. (daggermaster utility)

This wouldn't have any effect, except when using powers that do [W] based damage.

Kinneus

Explorer
What if the multiclassed sorcerer used one of their powers as a melee attack via the Sorcerous Blade Channeling feat? Would they be able to apply SA, then?

Tremorsense

First Post

The errata for Sneak Attack changed it to:
Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and hit that enemy with an attack that uses a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling, the attack deals extra damage.

I believe fully that this allows sneak attack with a dagger used as an implement.

Remove ads