Some questions about when functions will return

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being top priority, 10 being the very, very back burner:

1. What priority is making GM posts yellow again?

2. What priority is allowing GMs to edit their players' posts in gaming threads?

3. What priority is writing some sort of "Search and Replace" function to change SBLOCK to SPOILER?

3a. If the search and replace is not feasible, would it be feasible to make SBLOCK a command again, i.e., you could use SBLOCK or SPOILER and it wouldn't matter? (That would fix the problem)... and what priority is that?

Thank you kind sir, for all that you do. I am most appreciative, and I do NOT want to sound pushy or nagging. :) Just trying to get it all straight in my head, and want to know what to tell my players.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure it would, as either one could be used - thus you, from the app, would continue to use SPOILER - and pre-changeover posts that used SBLOCK wouldn't have to all be updated.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure it would, as either one could be used - thus you, from the app, would continue to use SPOILER - and pre-changeover posts that used SBLOCK wouldn't have to all be updated.
SBLOCK don't work in the app, never have.

So unless what you're saying is that you're ready to throw every app user under the bus, let's agree reimplementing SBLOCK is a bad idea.

Thx

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I'm not trying to sound pushy, or arrogant, and I'm not trying to "poke the bear."

I truly want to understand the reasons behind this.

If the app is able to be modified by its implementors, why would adding SBLOCK as an alternate way to call the spoiler function be difficult?

I'm not saying that you should add another command that duplicates the function of the spoiler routine; I'm saying you should add a term to the existing spoiler routine, which will accommodate previous instances.

In my head, I am picturing this: (Very simplified version):

IF INPUT = SPOILER THEN OPEN SPOILER ROUTINE
IF INPUT = /SPOILER THEN CLOSE SPOILER ROUTINE

Would change to this:

IF INPUT = SPOILER, SBLOCK THEN OPEN SPOILER ROUTINE
IF INPUT = /SPOILER, /SBLOCK THEN CLOSE SPOILER ROUTINE

So I'm guessing it's a lot more complicated than that? I haven't programmed anything since my FORTRAN days (Yes, I'm that old) so please forgive me if this is a "Stupid" question.

To me, it seems to be the most elegant solution to the eyesore of all of those SBLOCK functions that now don't work. You don't add a command, you simply add a term that also calls the spoiler routine.

The alternative, would be to write a script, that scours the entire database, and replaces every instance of SBLOCK or /SBLOCK with SPOILER or /SPOILER. That seems like a big server load to me, whereas adding a term simply allows the old posts to remain unchanged, while allowing the spoiler command to continue functioning as intended.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If the app is able to be modified by its implementors, why would adding SBLOCK as an alternate way to call the spoiler function be difficult?

Note: Morrus and EN World do not control or influence development on the app - it is developed by a third party, and Morrus merely offers it up to users. If you want the App changed, you have to have a discussion with the folks over at Tapatalk.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
@Umbran Ah, I see now. So this isn't like I was imagining, then.

I was thinking that Morrus and the other admins modified it from its original state. I thought it was a customizable platform.

Back in the old days, when my friends and I ran BBSs, we would often go into the source code, add commands, change the way existing commands worked, etc.

The same was true for when a friend of mine was running a MUD. The program (which ran in Linux) came as a "standard version" ("Rivers of Mud," or "ROM") and then everyone who ran it would customize it to suit their needs. You could log into a ROM implementation that looked nothing like the original, and other times, you could log into one, and it would look as if hardly anything had been done to change it at all... it all depended on the individual.

So, if you guys aren't modding the code, then my point is moot. And that's perfectly cool. Cheers! :cool:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, if you guys aren't modding the code, then my point is moot. And that's perfectly cool. Cheers! :cool:

The boards themselves have a whole lot of configuration that might be done, and Morrus does have an engineer who does such work - and helped with the migration to the new platform.

But, the mobile app is an interface to several different platforms that is outside our development control.

Remove ads