• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some questions from actual play

Zurai

First Post
Boarstorm said:
I do, however, think that this discrepancy in the rules you point out is a non-issue brought up to fallaciously lend credence to the "add modifiers to flat damage" camp.
No. I have no opinion one way or the other on that matter. That's why I never so much as mentioned it. I merely took one side-debate in this thread and expounded on it.

Boarstorm

First Post
Zurai said:
No. I have no opinion one way or the other on that matter. That's why I never so much as mentioned it. I merely took one side-debate in this thread and expounded on it.

Fair enough.

Given the "background" debate in this thread, however, I hope you can see why I jumped to the conclusion I did.

mlund

First Post
Kordeth said:
Actually, in this case, they don't. The specific rule on critical hit damage says "Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack." Since we've already established that weapon enhancements, feats, etc. are part of the damage you can roll, they apply to critical hits. The rules are, in fact, consistent.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

The original assertion that the PHB said "do not roll damage" and you couldn't add to the non-roll was, in fact, a falsehood making the rest of the argument in that direction totally moot.

- Marty Lund

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Given Wizards' background with Magic: the Gathering, it wouldn't surprise me that most of these confusions go away if you apply the exact wording in the book. I imagine they went over it all with a fine-tooth comb to minimize the "creative interpretations" one can actually pull off with the rules. :)

Torchlyte

First Post
mlund said:
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

The original assertion that the PHB said "do not roll damage" and you couldn't add to the non-roll was, in fact, a falsehood making the rest of the argument in that direction totally moot.

- Marty Lund

Indeed, but I think people are being unfair to Zurai. I assume he was merely paraphrasing, so he lost some of the essential wording.

Spatula

Explorer
Zurai said:
No. The PHB is very specific that you do not roll for Critical Hits. By a strict interpretation of the rules, that means enhancement bonuses on weapons, feat bonuses, racial bonuses, etc do not apply to Critical Hits.
"Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack. This is your critical damage." PHB pg 278. I stand by my original statement.

bjorn2bwild

First Post
edit= apparently I failed to notice that, not only were there already multiple pages of this thread, but multiple replies of a similar sort to the one I gave. I have nothing to add. :cool:

VannATLC

First Post
Andur said:
As far as cleave,

Notice it says HIT, you then have two targets, you can choose either target to apply the flaming weapon daily, since you HIT.

The secondary affect of cleave is quite explicitly not a second target choice.

The power has one target.

Ninja'd. Lots of times.

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'm guessing Hypersmurf doesn't have the books yet or he'd be all over this like a rash.

I'm looking forward to these kinds of rules discussions starting up again, I think that 4e is going to add all sorts of new things to the mix.

Vempyre

Explorer
About the cleave and other powers and dmg bonuses :

Since I have my books as of yesterday, I can clear up more of that stuff. Ppl interested in this discussion should read PHB p.57, 5th paragraph beginning with "Some powers add modifiers to attack rolls or damage rolls... /snip ... apply to any roll of the dice, but NOT ongoing damage or other static, non variable effect."

The cleave power is such an example of a static effect. It never changes for your character, it's always your str bonus and isn't a variable effect, it's static.

Remove ads