• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Some Questions

Ome

Explorer
First of all a question on the spell Thunderwave pg 282 PHB.

1. Does this spell move any creature who fails the con save, regardless of size, such as a massive dragon?

Also need some clarification on Charm Person pg 221 PHB. Setup..if a 4 man party runs into 4 orcs and one is charmed.

1. Does the orc consider the whole party friendly acquaintances or just the caster?

1a. If just the caster will the orc continue to attack the other party members?

2. What can you ask of the orc or what will the orc do with its turn?

3. Will attacking the orcs companions cause the orc to break out of charm?

Herr der Qual

First Post
Thunderwave: Yes, this will shove even a massive dragon back ten feet. If the spell had effect limits based on size it would have been mentioned in the discription.

Charm person:
1. The friend of my friend is?? an ambiguous acquaintance, clearly not hostile, or threatening. It will not trust them, but it will regard them simply as non-threatening.

2. The orc would probably use the turn as if it were encountering someone he's met a few times. You can ask anything you would like, but he doesn't trust you as a trusted friend. He would refuse to answer some questions and can still become offended, suspicious and/or angry.

3. In most instances, yes, unless the character's wait for the orcs companions to attack them first, in which case he's stuck choosing sides and may remain neutral until the combat is over, or join the side that was attacked first.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
1. Does the orc consider the whole party friendly acquaintances or just the caster?

1a. If just the caster will the orc continue to attack the other party members?

2. What can you ask of the orc or what will the orc do with its turn?

3. Will attacking the orcs companions cause the orc to break out of charm?

The relevant rules are:

Social Interaction, Basic Rules, pages 66-67
Charm Person, Basic Rules, page 85
Charmed condition, Basic Rules, page 106
Resolving Interactions, DMG, page 244 (optional)

My rulings would be:

1. Without any additional context, the orc considers only the caster to be a friendly acquaintance.

1a. Yes.

2. You can ask whatever is reasonable to ask of a friendly acquaintance. "Stop attacking my other friends here while we sort this out" would be pretty reasonable. If the request came with a major or minor cost or risk to the orc, then I might ask for an appropriate ability check to see how the orc responds. The orc will do with its turn whatever follows in the fiction that is both appropriate and interesting.

3. No. However, this would naturally affect its interactions with the caster. Context would tell how.

But you or your DM may make different rulings based on this or other criteria.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads