• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E some tweets

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Plaguescarred: Then could it be possible that Feral Sense invisible creature location awareness is pointless if invisible doesnt conceal?

JeremyECrawford: Feral Senses lets you detect an invisible creature within 30 feet of you that isn't hidden—no effort required.

This, of course, makes one wonder, what effort is otherwise required? My best guess is Crawford's talking about the effort to keep watch for hidden threats, rather than be distracted by doing some other exploration activity.

brehobit

Explorer
His ruling on Hunger of Hadar is certainly different than I'd have done. Nothing I see in the description makes me think devil's sight wouldn't work in it.

[MENTION=1424]Max[/MENTION]_H_Petersen Can you take a unconscious target with you using dimension door?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Only a willing creature can travel with you via dimension door. You can't give consent when you're unconscious. #DnD
[MENTION=29251]Exe[/MENTION]ntrik137 Seems odd, what's the difference between an unconscious creature and an object? Just need to be small enough to be carried?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Think of it this way: a spell that requires a willing target is partially fueled by that person's will. #DnD

#ConsentIsMagic

Koren

Explorer
His ruling on Hunger of Hadar is certainly different than I'd have done. Nothing I see in the description makes me think devil's sight wouldn't work in it.

A warlock in one of my games has the devil's sight combo with darkness, and wanted to pick up HoH. After reading the spell as written (but before I saw the JC tweet), I was going to rule that as a Cthulhu-lock, he could see through it, but risk madness if he did so, as the things in the void were Not Meant to be Seen by Mortal Eyes(TM). After reading the ruling, I'm still tempted to rule this way, as I think it will make the game more interesting.

I think it's key in his ruling that the spell description does not use the term "magical darkness" or even "darkness", but here, at least for me, rules as fun wins out over both written and intended.

Does it make the warlock slightly more powerful given that he can cast this and gain the same benefits as darkness/devils sight while doing good AE damage and debuff to those affected? Sure. But that one time when he goes crazy and potentially turns on his allies for a few rounds will be talked about for years after.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
@_Joe_Raso to clarify - will magic missile bypass the illusory duplicates created by mirrorimage and strike the creatures of choice
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Yes.

What is this, Bizarro world?!?

That's the *exact reverse* of how magic missile and mirror image worked together. Magic missile was a counter to mirror image - you shot a spread of magic missile, each missile hitting one image (or maybe the real guy) and thus stripping them away. Now it's a counter that ignores the spell... *but leaves it intact*.

This is worse IMO.

[MENTION=559]Bob[/MENTION]goggles Abuse, clever, or wrong? Use hand xbow, FA draw shield. Next turn: FA to stow shield, then atk.. +2ac every other round?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Donning a shield requires an action (PH, 146).
[MENTION=15732]Tavic[/MENTION]z Typo in MM, 1st printing, page 268, desc. of scarecrow: "the twilit world" should be "the twiligt world"
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford "Twilit" is correct there.
[MENTION=12608]Soul[/MENTION]_Smoker can cloud of daggers affect objects
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Cloud of daggers affects creatures, not objects. If a spell can target objects, its description says so.

@DerynDraconis In my turn if I have Extra Attack, does Injury Poison (with CON ST) work for only ONE hit or for EACH hit of Extra Attack?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Injury poison is spent when a creature takes the piercing/slashing damage that delivers the poison (DMG, 257).

[MENTION=27392]Kas[/MENTION]eyumland Movement of Moonbeam not count as creatures entering when spirit guardians moving into creature counts as entering?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Moonbeam, spirit guardians & the like work the same way: a creature, not the spell effect, does the entering.
[MENTION=6698531]plancktum[/MENTION] Can an Eldritch Knight bond to a shield (since it is an improvised weapon)?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Weapon Bond works with a bona fide weapon ("Behold, my sword!"), not an improvised weapon ("Look, a stool!").
[MENTION=1958]matt[/MENTION]yH82 Deep Gnome Stone Camo, does it only applies in difficult terrain, or applied in areas that are rocky ie: caves, mountains?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Stone Camouflage works in rocky terrain. The terrain needn't be difficult; the trait would say if had to be.

@VNarvek MM says Elves are immune to Ghoul paralysis. PHB says adv. vs charm, no magical sleep. No change in errata. Immunity or no?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Both books are correct in this regard.

@nasagi Pg 194 of PHB says if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack. Does that mean you can GFB/Melee with ex atk?
@JeremyECrawford The Attack action involves an attack, but not every attack is delivered by the Attack action.

@Jalvinfenrir oh Ruler of rules, can you advice on using Awakened Mind to cast vocal component spells such as Command or suggest?
@JeremyECrawford Sound is the key part of a verbal component, so saying the component in your mind doesn't help.

@Crimsonknight52 so if pc casts spirguard, and the badbuys are alrdy in zone, or moonbeams right on badguys, no save/dmg until badguys turn?
@JeremyECrawford Correct.

@JeremyECrawford Rolling a 20 on a d20 is an automatic success only for an attack roll, not for an ability check or a save.
@tjBoard But it should be a success. If a natural 20 isn't a success, then there's no point in allowing the roll in the 1st place.
@JeremyECrawford Some DCs are impossible for certain characters to hit. Working as intended.

@negoefoda a stunned target can use bonus dex and other dodge bonus in CA?
@JeremyECrawford By "CA" do you mean "AC"?
@negoefoda Yes, sorry hehehe. A stunned target can use bonus dex and other dodge in AC?
@JeremyECrawford Yep!

@QueerSeer Does casting a bonus action spell prevent reaction spells just on the player's own turn, or for the rest of the round?
@JeremyECrawford Casting a bonus action spell limits your spellcasting options on your turn—no effect on an off-turn reaction.

@VyrelionAB if my Green Flame Blade is Counterspelled, do I still get to make a normal melee attack or is it "counterspelled" too?
@JeremyECrawford No part of a countered spell occurs. That's the purpose of counterspell.
@VyrelionAB when it says "make an attack as part of the casting" it seems as if the melee attack is like a somatic component, though
@JeremyECrawford The spell would list the attack in the Component entry if the attack was a somatic component.
@kam2112 the weapon is listed as a material component
@JeremyECrawford The weapon is, indeed, a material component. The attack is not.
@SennSationalist That's not intuitive to me. My reading of SCAG cantrips is that the user makes a weapon atk which applies the spell effect.
@JeremyECrawford If the attack could be disentangled from the spell's effect, the attack would be a component, not part of the effect.

@SennSationalist Alright. The wording is pretty unclear on that front for the cantrips, and the concept of a spell causing a melee atk too.
@JeremyECrawford Those cantrips are purposefully unusual. Unlike smite spells, the cantrips incorporate a weapon attack in the spell effect.
@SennSationalist I totally buy your ruling, but it seems to mean that Booming Blade is now controlling user's arm and causing it to atk.
@JeremyECrawford The casting sets up the attack. With counterspell, you foil that setup and anything that would have followed it.
@SennSationalist Thanks for the answers and clarifications by the way! It always helps to know what your view on these corner cases is!
@SennSationalist But balance-wise it does makes sense for a 3rd level spell to 100% counter a cantrip.
@JeremyECrawford Exactly.

[MENTION=83996]Lokiare[/MENTION] can the Creation spell make magic items?
&#8207 [MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The creation spell is not intended to create magic items.
[MENTION=6679253]redwullf[/MENTION] Can a creature that removes restrained/grappled condition on its turn move immediately, or must wait until next turn?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The effects of a condition end the moment the condition ends.

@Tsyclops folks who have run Rise of Tiamat: Tiamat's Multiple Heads feature gives her reactions, but doesn't say what she does. Is is a melee?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Tiamat's Multiple Heads lets her take extra reactions to do normal reactive things, like opportunity attacks.

@TTVsTimmy Eldr. knight, Has whip, Shield (armor) Casting spells, do i have to sheath wep? or can i put wep into shield hand/fingers?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Where you put a weapon is up to you and your DM. Remember: a hand is only relevant for spells with S component.
[MENTION=6677213]Rho[/MENTION]oja is there a daily limit on the halfling's lucky trait?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford No.
[MENTION=6679253]redwullf[/MENTION] Can otyugh's Tentacle Slam be 1 or both of its tentacle attacks from Multiattack or is single Tentacle Slam its own action?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The otyugh's Multiattack action lets it use its bite and tentacle attacks, not Tentacle Slam.

@DerynDraconis Thanks! But Poison Basic PHB p153 which rule follow? Is like injury poison or not?(it said only remain potent for 1 minute)
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Basic poison (PH, 153) is potent for 1 minute after it's applied. As written, it works on multiple hits.
[MENTION=85177]Dr[/MENTION]_kevinsmith Does dispel magic affect all active spells, or just 1?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Dispel magic, if successful, can end every spell on its target.
[MENTION=10531]see[/MENTION]kay A creature at 0 HP is unconscious so hits within 5ft are crits (+advantage). Always 2 death save failures?
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]andjus Is it possible to attack normally in a turn then grab a staff and use your reaction to cast shield from the staff when hit?
[MENTION=5318]jay[/MENTION]con356 if a suggestion from the "suggestion" spell becomes unreasonable during the spells duration, does the spell end?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford To work, the suggestion spell's suggestion needs to sound reasonable only at the time of casting.
[MENTION=3300]d20[/MENTION]junkie Does Forbiddance and Mordenkainens Private Sanctum block an item marked by Drawmijs Instant Summons from being summoned?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Forbiddance stops creatures, not objects, from teleporting. Mordenkainen's private sanctum can stop objects.

Remove ads