Somebody please explain the popularity of Army of Darkness

FireLance

Legend
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I don't think you can really appreciate AoD without seeing Evil Dead 2 beforehand. Ash Rules!
Yeah, I guess that's pretty much the problem. Chorn also mentioned SAN loss. I guess I might be more sympathetic to Ash if I'd seen what he went through previously.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their replies. I still don't really like the movie overall, but I can see its good points now, especially when looking at it as a sequel.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I loved Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. Bruce Campbell carried those two stupid movies off like a champ. I can't think of another actor that could have done such a fine job with such cheese.

Ash Rules!!! Funniest horror movie protagonist I've ever seen. I couldn't even tell if he was actually trying to be funny, especially in the first Evil Dead.

The_Universe

First Post
It's not a movie trying to be good...it's a movie just trying to be a movie. It takes every hackneyed cineama cliche, and replays it, turned on its ear. Ash is hilarious as a brash, stupid, macho jerk. When faced with an army of the walking dead, why scream when you can shoot them?

One of my all time favorite films, although I certainly don't recommend it as quality film. It's just fun, pure and simple.

Altalazar

First Post
It's just a load of fun. Ash is a total ass, but you can't help rooting for him anyway.

I got to hear the commentary on it long before the DVD came out - there was a special screening of it in town, shortly after it came out, and Bruce Campbell was there - we watched it, then he came on down and talked all about it for a while afterwards. He really is hilarious, and he had some great commentary to make about the film, then. He told us about the alternate endings and also alot about the other Evil Dead films. That is the best version to watch - of course, you had to be there...

It is just good, clean, obnoxious fun. Especially for gamers.

I liked evil dead 2 the best, for the record, but they all stand up as three of my all time favorite movies. Ash is such a jerk, but a jerk that always seems to make it through, i can't help but love the character. Plus he had the macheesmo to hack his own hand off with a chainsaw! Now there's a man. :]

Rackhir

Explorer
I think the thing about AoD is that the character Ash is so appealing (if you've seen ED2), that most people who love AoD are just sitting back and enjoying Ash doing his thing. So it's not so much that they love AoD (I was never that fond of it) as they just love Ash the character/Bruce Campbell (which I do).

Remove ads