• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Someone please explain See Invisible

Zad

First Post
We went to look up something with See Invisiblity the other day and got quite a rude surprise. I'm hoping someone can explain this. From the SRD:

See Invisibility

Divination
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Cone
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The character sees any objects or beings that are invisible, as well as any that are astral or ethereal, as if they were normally visible.

The spell does not reveal the method used to obtain invisibility, though an astral traveler is easy to identify if he has a silver cord. It does not reveal illusions or enable the character to see through opaque objects. It does not reveal creatures who are simply hiding, concealed, or otherwise hard to see.
-------------------

Most people, like me, assumed that See Invisiblity let you see things that were invisible. The question was "Can you cast it on someone else?" and that sparked the train wreck.

There's no target listed. It's not Personal, nor is it Creature Touched. It affects an area - a cone specifically. So you cast the spell on a section of the map, and the caster can see invisible beings in that area for the duration? That really seems pretty goofy to me but that's what it seems like it's saying. Can any character see them, or just the one who cast the spell (note it doesn't say "the caster", it says "the character")

By comparison, True Seeing affects the "Creature Touched", and reads much more like I would have expected this to read.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this is trying to say?

mikebr99

Explorer
It can only be cast on yourself. And it is a cone that stays with you, starting on your eyeballs and moving with you and where ever you look. I would rule that you see invisible things normally, and have know idea that anything is invisible, as they are visible to you, so you couldn't point out the 1 guy invisible out of 4 without some form of communication between your party members and describing what you see and comparing it with what they see.

IE. I wouldn't let the person with see invisibility single that guy out because he doesn't see him any differently as any of the others.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads