• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something Awful leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
To be fair, a lot of the caster-centric vibe seems to be a lack of polish, multiplied by the author's extreme bias against Monte Cook/3.x.

There aren't really any bits of actual evidence to indicate that the game will repeat 3.x's mistakes in that area (aside from the existence of Knock as a 1st- or 2nd- level spell, and let's not have that argument right now); it's just that the author has made up his mind that he hates the system, and goes out of his way to describe it in the most negative way possible.

Of course, this is assuming it's true (and there's not a big difference between someone who breaks NDA because he doesn't like 5e, and someone who makes things up because he doesn't like 5e).

Last edited:

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
This has to be fake, right? No way WotC would do this. I mean they do some questionable things on a regular basis but :):):):) everything about this.

JonWake

First Post
Ah, the sweet scent of fear.

This looks legit to me. Once you scrape away the 4e-cum-grognard panic, it looks like they're building a pretty robust system that is designed to run fast and stay out of the way, but have a unified mechanic. Given, there are some rough edges, but the core is there.

Putting the saves as ability scores is something I've been doing for a while, and it's the best anti- min/max tool I've found. Dump stat? Naw, son, that's just the thing that's gonna get you.

Roxolan

First Post
Why are we assuming this is legit? I mean, it could be, but I don't see anything terribly compelling to make me believe that it is.
SomethingAwful's board culture, and the fact that the leak comes from multiple posters independently (some of which old-timers). Either it's some kind of vast trolling conspiracy that will get half its members banned, or it's real.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
I hope this leak is a huge, cunning troll.

If not, I hope against hope that the end result won't much resemble the 1.0 playtest version.

Because if this is indicative of the design philosophy and goals behind the D&DN; if "casters rule, fighters drool" makes a come-back; if clarity and consistency of rules is sacrificed for fluffy "conversational" tone; if the whole thing is a huge, deliberate step back in order to woo back the people who already have Pathfinder and retroclones and previous editions... it will be a game that I won't play even if you paid me to do so. If I got the books as a gift, I'd burn them in the street.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
it seems legit to me, but definitely mired in personal opinion and hyperbole.

keep in mind that this is why the devs are reluctant to release early drafts of the rules to the masses, it's simply not polished enough to withstand the searing gaze of the gaming community.

wait until the public playtest rolls out in the next month or so before you stomp your feet in judgement.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If even it's fake, it doesn't look too far off.
If I were to troll the fans using what we heard, it would somethng look like this. 'Cept for the monster part, I don't understand. Some birthday present. heh. Ability checks for everything. Wimpy spells.

I'm sure that this, whatever early alpha 5e is, or whatever Cook has saved on a drive,; it is a lot of costapasta with no sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads