• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something, I think, Every GM/DM Should Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shaman

First Post
But the comment was that the DM should put his fun first, ahead of the players. That's what I disagree with.
If I'm not having fun, then I stop running the game. Period, end of story, good night sweet Charlotte.

So yes, I put my fun first.

That in no way implies that there is no give-and-take - there is - or that other people's fun isn't a part of my enjoyment of playing a roleplaying game - it very much is.

But you can pay the organ grinder all you want - this monkey only dances so long as he likes the tune.

Thasmodious

First Post
I don't think I understand this at all...if you are using your fist as the weapon, and your power knocks something prone, that means your punch knocks the thing prone, right?

Why? It's flavor text. And since when can't a punch knock something prone, ever watched a fight? We aren't talking about tiny garden snakes here, but large, fantastical, deadly snakes. Certainly punchable. Not every bit of sword damage is a cut, it couldn't be or the HP system would fall apart. I recall the example kicked around in the 80s was Fighter School, where a 10th level fighter demonstrates to the class how to handle getting hit by an axe. If you take HP as literal wounds, then the 10th level fight can let a level 1 student hit him in the face with the axe and suffer little damage. Silly. But as an abstraction, he slips the blow, or blocks the haft with his arm, sustaining some damage. Damage is abstract, too. What you roll may be [weapon damage] but it doesn't have to come from the weapon in the "regular" way or from the weapon at all. Swords cross and the hero headbutts the opponent, resulting in weapon damage and the stun condition would be a good flavoring for a power that has that effect.

In 4e D&D, a punch isn't as mundane as you are making it to be. These guys can do near mystical things with their weapons. An uppercut sending a snake flying so it lands in a heap and has to right itself? I like that, sounds badass.

This is EXACTLY what I am arguing FOR!
When a player tries something unusual, he had better have more than "it says so on my sheet" - I've said that at least a dozen times so far. As far as "punishing players for misspeaking" thats far from how I operate, I am all for letting players do what they want to do, but it has to fit some semblance of structure. There is nothing wrong with saying "I don't think that'll work like that, but what can we come up with instead that will get that done"

I've also said that plenty of times a dm (be it me or someone else) can be swayed by the players. I have been wrong tons of times, and what I thought was the right call was so opposed by the players who gave valid points as to why it was wrong, that I have changed my rulings. Not only that, but if a player wants to do some impossible trick, and i can't come up with the right check or roll off the top of my head, I'll ask the table, and we'll take 2 minutes to hash it out in a way that leaves everyone happy.

This seems almost like a tale of two ultramarks. In one post, you loudly declare that no matter what evidence, no way, no how, will you ever... Then in another you talk about open to the players, willing to work with em, retcon, have a discussion at the table, whatever. These seem to be in conflict.

One thing to drive home, though. You're the only one demanding it must be a punch. The rest of us seem to be talking about the general prone-ness or not prone-ness of a snake and the interplay of 4e powers with the fiction. I am firmly in the camp that a moving, active snake is not at all prone, since, like the rest of us, certain parts of it have to be in contact with the ground in order for it move. And I'm firmly in the camp of, use the powers, move on. We got more important things to do.

If I'm not having fun, then I stop running the game. Period, end of story, good night sweet Charlotte.
That's not putting your fun ahead of the players' fun, though is it? You can put them all on an equal level.

I'm not arguing that opposite - that the players' fun should come first, which is what you seem to be reading into this. The players' fun is just as important as the DM's, that's all. The original claim was that since the DM puts more work in, his fun should come first, instead of being part of the group's fun. I reject that.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Are we even talking about a 4e power that knocks a foe prone at this point?

Honestly, I don't think that we ever were. I think we were always talking about a disconnect between the fiction and the mechanics. TheUltramark's example, above, seems to indicate as much. IMHO.

Or, as chaochou put it, "I think the dreaded snake example has demonstrated is a certain incoherence in the design". I think that this sort of incoherence always occurs, to varying degrees. It is cast in sharp focus, to me, when one assumes that the "flavour text" isn't important, that the fiction is essentially "fluff" that should be retconned on the basis of the rules. I.e., what has been referred to in the past as "pop quiz role-playing".

That doesn't make either style inherently bad, but it does mean that those who favour one style are likely to be dissatisfied with the other. Which, as should come as no surprise, is exactly what we see here.

This also, I believe, explains Thasmodious' "tale of two ultramarks" -- for good or ill, there is a lot of "talking past each other" going on in this thread.

I think we all agree that (use the powers/GM adjudicates) and move on with the game is the best solution. We simply disagree which of those two options in parenthesis is better. And there is no objective answer to that question, regardless of what anyone says.

RC

Raven Crowking

First Post
That's not putting your fun ahead of the players' fun, though is it? You can put them all on an equal level.

I'm not arguing that opposite - that the players' fun should come first, which is what you seem to be reading into this. The players' fun is just as important as the DM's, that's all. The original claim was that since the DM puts more work in, his fun should come first, instead of being part of the group's fun. I reject that.

I begin to wonder if there is any actual disagreement, apart from that caused by the terminology used to describe positions, in this entire thread, with the sole exception of whether "rules-first use the powers as written" or "fiction-first let the GM adjudicate as needed" is generally superior.

And I don't think that there is an objective answer to that one.

RC

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
The frequent suggestion on this thread (not just from JamesonCourage but also Ariosto, I think RC, and maybe others I'm forgetting) that a player has the right to walk from a GM's game is true but not really helpful.

I disagree. More to come.

We're here talking about what makes for better or worse GMing, across a range of editions of D&D (and some other games) and a range of playstyles. Given that purpose, I think there is a lot more to be said about how to GM well than simply "Exercise whatever power you want to subject to the knowledge that if your players really hate it, they'll quit your game".

That's true. I mean, I don't think anyone has disputed that. That seems to be an unfair attempt to shoehorn my post into something I didn't say. I never said, at any point, that the bit of above advice ("exercise whatever power you want to subject to the knowledge that if your players really hate it, they'll quit your game") is the only way to GM a game well. Ever.

I said that it's the right of the GM, when Hussar said the following:
Hussar said:
And this, right here, is where the problem comes. The DM has decided that you absolutely CANNOT do something. No matter what. No matter how much evidence you provide or how fun it might be at the table, at Ultramark's table, you absolutely cannot do this.

Do people honestly think that being the DM entitles you to this level of power over the game?"

The context of my quote was in response to that. It was not in response to "how would you describe, in a short paragraph, the best way to GM?" Had that been the case, my answer would have been dramatically different. To that end, I think the context of my quote is exceptionally important, since I think you've framed it unfairly (by comparing it to a question I have yet to comment on).

After all, no creative writing course gives instructions saying "Write whatever you want, subject to the knowledge that you'll only make money from it if you find a publisher who thinks the public and/or critics will like it." Part of the point of a creative writing course is to learn how to write stuff that will withstand critical scrutiny. Similarly, part of the point of this discussion is presumably to share a range of ideas about how a GM can make the play experience a better one (with "better" being relative to a range of rulesets, playstyles etc).

When it comes to the underlined section, you can bet I'll speak directly about it. However, once again, the quote you used from me is being applied to the wrong question.

As far as my thought on the underlined portion go, I'd say what I always do: play what you like. If you want to use all the rules, use them. If you want to use no rules, don't use any. If you want to compromise, do that. If you want to let the GM decide things without questioning it, do that. It's really that simple to me. It's too subjective. Find what works for you within your group dynamic and play that game.

For some rulesets, it's just not true that the GM has the level of power over the game of being entitled to say "yes" or "no" to a player's call in respect of any of his/her PC's action. Now for some potential players, that might be a reason to avoid those rulesets, or to add such a rule into the way they play the game. But it's also interesting to think about why a ruleset might be written which doesn't include such a rule, what sort of play experience it might be intended to promote, how that play experience might interact with other preferences and concerns at the table, etc.

That's true. I suppose that's relevant in a roundabout way to my quote. But again, if you apply my quote to it, it's out of context.

As far as playing with the ruleset (where the GM doesn't have the same level of veto power I commented on), I'd say play it if you like it. If you don't like it, don't play it. Pretty straightforward to me.

I can't honestly give much more advice on "how to GM well" when:
1) Enjoyment is way too subjective.
2) The type of game keeps changing in the conversation (GM has veto power, GM doesn't have veto power, etc.).

For example, if a 4e GM purports to veto the Knocked-down Snake, and a player queries that, I don't think it's very helpful to just start talking about "pushy" or "whiny" players who don't understand the GM's role.

That's true.

What sort of play experience is the GM trying to promote. If it's about the coherence of the GM's fiction, what is the GM's understanding of the players' contribution to that fiction? Does the GM object to knocking a snake down per se, or to the fact that the PC can do it willy nilly when in the real world it would be very hard, or what? If the GM won't allow a player takeback, is that because of the effect of takebacks on immersion, or because the GM thinks that players should be bound by some sort of equivalent to chess's "touch, move" rule, or what?

I'm guessing the end goal is subjective enjoyment, ideally. That's pretty much the common thread no matter which way you rule things.

Whether or not it would be productive to raise this sort of issue actually at the gaming table in question is one thing. But I can't see how it is remotely out of order to raise them on a discussion board.

Well, I think people have implied "this is the one true way to play for maximum fun" (including Hussar's quote above) but I don't know who you think wants to stop talking about it. I think it's fine to talk about this at the gaming table. Preferred, even, if it helps the group find what they like. But, I know you meant (I think...) that it shouldn't pop up regularly at it, and I'll pretty much agree with you.

And once these sorts of questions are put into play, I can't see that the range of satisfactory, considered responses is exhausted by "Of course a GM has that sort of power, but equally players are free to quit the game". The actual history of RPG design and play shows that other things are possible!

Yeah, they're possible. I never implied they weren't. I never said that the only way to play the game is how you portrayed me. The context of my quote was very different from how it was portrayed, and that's a little disconcerting to me.

If we want to start giving tips on how to run a game better, I'm down. The majority focus has not yet slipped there, nor have I addressed it in-depth yet. Especially not in the quote of mine you used.

EDITED TO ADD:

One of the premises of a creative writing course is that even if you know what you like when you see it, it can be non-trivial to proudce that stuff yourself. Presumably the same is true for GMing. So while I agree that people should play what they like, I nevertheless think that critical reflection can help work out what it is that they're doing that is contributing to them getting what they like, and what it is that they're doing that is impeding them getting what they like. I will freely admit that my game has improved by becoming more self-conscious about my conception of the function of the rules, the GM, the way these can relate, the range of purposes they can serve, etc. Am I really an outlier? Is everyone else already running a game that is (by their own lights) the very best that it can be?

I'm not sure where you're headed with this, honestly. Can you help me out? If the rhetorical questions were leading somewhere, I unfortunately missed it.

The Shaman

First Post
If the players are having a ball and, despite my best efforts to be accomodating, I'm not, then I'm going to call a halt, so yes, I am putting my fun first.
I'm not arguing that opposite - that the players' fun should come first, which is what you seem to be reading into this. The players' fun is just as important as the DM's, that's all.
That was the argument that the Jester disputed. I don't recall who the original source was - Thasmodius, perhaps?
The original claim was that since the DM puts more work in, his fun should come first, instead of being part of the group's fun. I reject that.
I read the Jester's quote as saying if the referee isn't happy, there may be no game, hence the referee's happiness comes first but not exclusively.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
This thread seems like it is in danger of spiralling into complaints by people with radically different (yet equally valid) playstyles. [RESPECTFUL SNIP]

Anyway, try to avoid getting involved in personal confrontations. There are no 'wrong' people here that you have to 'correct' (xkcd: Duty Calls).

Thanks

I begin to wonder if there is any actual disagreement, apart from that caused by the terminology used to describe positions, in this entire thread, with the sole exception of whether "rules-first use the powers as written" or "fiction-first let the GM adjudicate as needed" is generally superior.

And I don't think that there is an objective answer to that one.

RC
I agree. These are equally valid playstyles and preferences. As such, they are subjective, and there is no objective way to determine how much enjoyment they will produce for any random group.

The DM may put the most in - but also IME gets the most back out. I certainly do or I wouldn't do it. (Also DMing 4th is a lot less work than previous editions).

But seriously I get the most out when everybody is engaged and having fun. Looking primarily to my own fun is not only selfish but counterproductive.

Wow, no thank you kindly sir. Why would a DM who absolutely not run a game that requires he make sacrifices that make it less fun for him not run a lock step railroad?

After all, if any player did something that the DM didn't particularly care for, by this advice, he should slap the player down and force him back in line or boot the player from the table.

So, essentially you're saying make sure you have a table full of "yes men" who will kowtow to your every whim and you'll be the best DM in the world. True enough I suppose. At least for that particular table.

And this, right here, is where the problem comes. The DM has decided that you absolutely CANNOT do something. No matter what. No matter how much evidence you provide or how fun it might be at the table, at Ultramark's table, you absolutely cannot do this.

Do people honestly think that being the DM entitles you to this level of power over the game?

These quotes seem to say "if you don't play it the way I think, it's bad." Just as a general statement. Not "it's not how I like the game to work" such as the statements by others seem to indicate (Mort, Fifth Element, Pemertron, etc.).

I think we should just accept it as differences in preference. As such, I'm not sure how productive it is to keep going through this issue over and over. I say just play what you like, and have a great time :)

Raven Crowking

First Post
Good post, JamesonCourage; sorry I cannot XP it right now.

The Shaman, I agree with you; if I am not having fun in the long run, someone else has to run the game. End of story. Obviously we don't stop GMing just because of momentary lapses in the fun! But, equally obviously, no one wants to GM a game that they don't enjoy.

RC

If the players are having a ball and, despite my best efforts to be accomodating, I'm not, then I'm going to call a halt, so yes, I am putting my fun first.
I doubt the players would be able to have a ball in a game that you're not enjoying, in a practical sense. But I read "my fun first" as "my fun is more important." Is that not what you mean?

What Thasmodious said was "A big part of DMing, imo, is finding a balance where the players get to indulge their preferences without the DM sacrificing all of his."

To me, this reads as "the DM's and players' preferences are equally important at the table." The DM has to "sacrifice" in the sense that, theoretically, he can just do whatever the heck he wants since he's DM and he controls the game world. But he needs to consider the players as well, put their wants on equal footing with his, and DM accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads