• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Somewhat OT -- Recommendations for an Internet Game?

Irysangel

First Post
Ok,

Me and the long-distance boyfriend are dangerously low on games to play together. Been there, done that on DAoC, Everquest, etc. Neverwinter Nights won't run on his computer (so that's out--graphic card issues), and we both dislike MTG:Online.

Is there anything else out there that's halfway decent that we can play together? I was wondering about Icewind Dale 2 maybe, or something along those lines. I've no idea really, and you guys seem to be fairly knowledgeable.

Help!

Irysangel

Ultima Online!!! I play it all the time, there's always something to do...It's sorta like DAoC, and EQ, but in Ultima there's plenty of stuff to do beside just kill stuff. It's more into the role playing aspect of a fantasy setting game than DAoC and EQ are. You can play tons of the character archtypes that are made using the various skill combinations, such as The Warrior, Mage, Archer, Tamer (uses tamed dragons to fight with), Bards (not as low powered as in D&D, these guys rock, and provoc other monster on one another and let them kill each other.), and there are many profession types such as the Alchemist, Scribe, Blacksmith, Tailor, Cook, Fisherman, Tinker, Carpenter, Miner, etc. The posibilities are endless...

You can eventually buy a UO home if you gather enough gold of the course of your adventures, some of which include, a Castle, Keep, Small Tower, Large Tower, Small House, Large Brick House, Log Cabin, Villa, Sandstone Patio House, and a good amount of others.

Now that you have a house, you can set up vendors to sell your extra wares to other adventurers, and make a profit off of the stuff you aren't using. As well as allowing you to create your own guild in which has hordes of stuff involved with it. You can have wars with other guilds, be either a Chaos or Order guild if you wish, which are pitted against each other, or you can just be a normal guild of friends sorta like a lil mafia!

www.uo.com and http://uo.stratics.com have all the info anyone would ever need when it comes to this game!

If you would like any info you couldn't happen to find, just email me at kercpa_nation@hotmail.com or on ICQ # 163822447.

Good Luck finding a game to play online!

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
My personal recomendation is Anarchy Online... From probably the rockiest game launch in history (It's got EQ beat hands down, I was there both times), this game has come so far... It's hands down the most fun and enjoyable MMORPG to play. Period. DaoC is a close second, but you said you already played that.

The only other online games I play right now are NwN and Warcraft III, though I used to play Ragnarok Online untill it went to korean-beta only. *shrug*.

Tsyr

Explorer
Conservative Cow said:
AO is gonna die. They lost AOLT of customers due to it's terrible start. It's like a horse with broken legs, just shoot the damn thing already,

Hmmm... given that most cities are so crowded that navigating through the people is like a maze, I think they gained most of them back :)

Seriously though, I know they lost alot of people. I was one of them. Then I heard from a friend who continued to play it that they got things fixed, and came back... and boy did they ever get things fixed.

A LOT of the initial crowd has come back, and the fact that you can download the client and play for 7 days free as a trial has tempted alot of other people to join.

Plus, of the current crop of MMORPGs, it's really the only one that's good for a truely casual gamer... the missions you can run make it so that anyone, solo or not, with 20 minutes to spare can actualy accomplish something.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Feh, pay-online games are more trouble than they are worth, totally IMO. I say grab yourself the Diablo 2 (with expansion pack) which they are selling all over these days fairly inexpensively and which will run on most computers (if you can run Icewind Dale, you can run Diablo 2).

You can play solo games, but you can also play together on their free Battle.Net server and it's a heck of a lot of fun if you like the hack-hack.

I haven't played multiplayer games of Icewind Dale, or the Balders Gate series, but I really enjoyed both in solo play, so I'm betting there would be goodness there in multiplayer.

By avoiding an online-only game, it means you don't have to deal with idiots, you will probably be able to run it, and you can enjoy both the single player and the multiplayer mode. Double the bang for your buck AND no monthly fees. :D

reddist

First Post
shamless plug

If you want a free game that still is complex enough to be challenging and interesting enough to be entertaining, you might try some of the larger MUDS. My personal favorite is RetroMud.

I know many couples from Retro who play together just to keep in touch. Hell, one guy met his wife on there. He flew over from Finland to the States to meet her in person, and never went home. They've been together for seven years now.

There are banners from Retro on the EN pages from time to time, or you can check out retromud.org

If you get into it, you'll want to pick up a mud client... shareware that automates a great many things for you and makes mudding a bit easier. Zmud is my personal favorite.

Enjoy:)

-Reddist

Tsyr

Explorer
it's a heck of a lot of fun if you like the hack-hack.

Unfortunatly, that's ALL it is.

My mind gets numb from playing Diablo or D2 for too long. All i do is click a mouse button and slam "drink potion" keys on my keyboard over and over again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads