• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Songbow, Character Builder, Expertise feats

It's just that there is no, as far as I can tell, balance or logic reason to make some class builds be slightly behind others in this way. I am disappointed in the inelegance of the game mechanics.

Just go all the way and be upset that expertise feats exist at all at that point.

Well personally, I think the game would have benefited if you never got stat increases, if magic items granted no bonus to attack rolls, if there were no expertise feats, and if monster attacks and defenses scaled at the same rate as PC ones (i.e., 1 per 2 levels).

First of all, that wildly simplifies the math. Second, it makes it less difficult for a GM to run off-level encounters, which makes sandbox games more viable.

captainspud

First Post
Here's a thought: we all know you "should" have that +1, so just give yourself +1. Who's going to notice? You're not cheating, you're correcting an oversight.

Check with your DM if you really feel nervous about it, but I honestly wouldn't even bother, myself.

<-- doesn't understand why people get so hung up on literal rules

Zaran

Adventurer
Why would they take time to update feats that Essentials doesn't use? They should have address the discrepancy between the old Expertise feats and the new ones a long time ago. Because they think we will gagglecluck about how they changed our characters by making such things as Implement Expertise (Bow) and Bow Expertise the same they just ignore it. And because there are no Essentials characters that use a bow like an implement it won't be addressed. Go to your GM ask him for the extra +1 and tell him why. Also, you should send WotC an email. The more correspondence they get from us the more likely they will finally start plugging up the holes in the leaky bucket that 4e has become.

DracoSuave

First Post
I have a dislike for people who treat the way Expertise used to be like some sort of abhorable nerf to their characters.

By all means, ask for that +1... but in reality? It's not a huge deal, and no, you're not nerfed, and no, your character isn't going to be gimped by the very small difference.

This sense of needing every bonus ever is a poison to D&D.

I'd be more likely to make the new expertise feats follow the old progression than anything else... but that's only because of how the feats smooth the power curve better.

And that's if I cared. Which... I generally don't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads