• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soon available to paint 4U

toddlockwood

First Post
As of the end of this year, I will no longer be employed by Wizards of the Coast. The powers that be at Wizards and Hasbro have determined that an art staff is unecessary.

Whatever.

I will be seeking work primarily in the book trade, but am willing to entertain all offers. I love D&D and the role-playing industry, and will not go away quietly. Contact me at todd@toddlockwood.com if you are interested in getting bids on your d20 projects. :eek:)

Please also express your disappointment to Wizards of the Coast. It won't likely make any difference, but it would make me feel better tot hink that they get chastised regularly and often. :eek:)

Thanks all,

Todd

Last edited:

Jin Chi

First Post
Todd-

I'm very disappointed to hear that WOTC continues to prove that they've lost what little sense they had remaining to them.

More than anything else, your fantastic art set the look and tone of the 3E books, breaking D&D out of its poorly designed and illustrated earlier editions.

Know that even though your moronic employers don't appreciate your work (and the benefit of having an artist such as yourself on staff), the fans certainly do.

It may be their dungeon, but those are certainly YOUR dragons.

Jaime

hong

WotC's bitch
So, um, Todd, this mean you now have some free time, right?

Like, free to draw some character portraits over on the Artwork forum?

Um, no harm in asking, right? :)

kengar

First Post
This is arguably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of in business. An art staff is "unnecessary" IN FANTASY GAMES!!??

Oh my :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ing :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!

I mean, I know there are plenty of freelancers (soon to be more) & agencies, etc. but one of the great things about a lot of the artwork to date has been a consistency of tone and look. You guys who have done the illustrations and cover art understand the games. You capture the feel of the creatures and the worlds.

I have terrible visions of cartoon art coming our way and it makes me sad.

Zenon

First Post
You might get some better offers if you posted in the Publishers Forum (If you haven't already).

Good luck finding something!

teitan

Legend
Actually

In all actuality WOTC is right about having an art department. Most small publishers don't have an art department outside of maybe an Art Director, just to keep the style of the book internally consistent. Art departments are nice to have, but not essential. Makes life harder on the artists but such is life. Art departments just aren't essential.

Jason

Ermanaric

Banned
Banned
what ever happened to larry elmore and jeff easley i loved their work way better thatn lockwood's ( no offense ) but i am curious

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads