• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer Bloodline: Fey

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
I created a new type of bloodline for the Sorcerer class called fey. I am trying to keep it interesting and yet balanced. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks:

At 1st level you gain an advantage on Insight and Perception checks once per day.

At 6th level you gain the ability to turn invisible once per day that lasts until you attack or cast a spell. At this point you will start to take on certain appearance characteristics of a fey such as hair, eyes, ear shape, and skin color. You will also be able to communicate freely with any fey creature (sprite, pixie, etc.). You gain an advantage on Perception and Insight checks for a total of two each per day.

At 14th level you gain the ability to turn invisible (at will) until you attack or cast a spell. Eyes, skin, and other appearance changes are no longer subtle but blatant. Your form closely resembles that of a fey. You start to sprout a small set of wings. Once per day you can do a total transformation and the wings become bigger allowing you to fly at a speed of 30 feet (6 squares) per round. Stealth checks are made at a disadvantage while flying. The flight lasts until you are exhausted. You will now be able to telepathically talk to any fey within eyesight at will. You gain an advantage on Perception and Insight checks for a total of three each per day.

At 18th level your wings are now full-sized and can fly at 40 feet (eight squares) per round. You can also become invisible while flying so stealth checks are no longer at a disadvantage. Your appearance is that of a large sprite including eyes, wings, hair, and coloration. You can sense any fey and/or magical being or creature within 250 ft. You gain an advantage on all Perception and Insight checks.

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
This is 7 shades of AWESOME!

I love it and *YOINK* using it in my campaign!

Thanks for the input. I plan on expanding the classed. I know WOTC will probably make a bunch of expansions, etc but until they do it's us to me and you to make more "prestige" classes. he he.

AslanC

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I plan on expanding the classed. I know WOTC will probably make a bunch of expansions, etc but until they do it's us to me and you to make more "prestige" classes. he he.

I love 5e so far but I need certain classes and races for my home grown campaign that will require me making them in the end.

C'est la vie

Cheers!

You've done a great job outlining a Sorcerer subclass I'm honestly surprised wasn't included in the PHB. I'd re-flavor the wings, myself, as depending on exactly what type of fey your ancestor was, sprite-style wings might not make sense; I'd keep the mechanics the same but simply describe it as control over the winds or telekinetic flight, something like that.

Invisibility is a good feature, but when I think fey, I think glamour, not invisibility (though I suppose that includes invisibility, of course). Perhaps some kind of illusion mechanic, either granted as bonus spells known or perhaps lifting the Natural Illusionist ability from Forest Gnomes? Not sure that last one is powerful for a third level subclass ability.

All of which is to say I like it very much as written, I'd just tweak it to personal taste before yoinking it as an option for my own campaign. :p

Joe Liker

First Post
I know WOTC will probably make a bunch of expansions, etc but until they do it's us to me and you to make more "prestige" classes. he he.
That is not actually the plan, according to Mearls. The focus is going to be more on published adventures and settings, not tons more character options.

So keep up the good work, and keep sharing, because that's the only way new options are going to happen. For now.

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
You've done a great job outlining a Sorcerer subclass I'm honestly surprised wasn't included in the PHB. I'd re-flavor the wings, myself, as depending on exactly what type of fey your ancestor was, sprite-style wings might not make sense; I'd keep the mechanics the same but simply describe it as control over the winds or telekinetic flight, something like that.

All of which is to say I like it very much as written, I'd just tweak it to personal taste before yoinking it as an option for my own campaign. :p

Yeah my assumption was that it was pixie or sprite kinda thing. I was basing it off the Sprite in the PHB. I'm going to post a Demonic and Celestial next. After that I'll be doing a HUGE random Backgrounds thing which I'll release as a free PDF probably, who knows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads