• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sorcerer - Metamagic questions

Snapdragyn

Explorer
1) Twinned Spell. It says you can target a 2nd creature when casting a spell that targets only one creature. Would something like Magic Missile qualify, provided you had used all of the 1st spell's missiles on the same target? If so, would you then have to put all of the twinned one's on the 2nd target, or distribute at will as normal? What about a spell that specifies 'Target', but then has an effect of spreading to others (Chain Lightening, I'm looking at you)?

2) Given that Twinned Spell is probably the best (for just 1 point you basically get another first level spell slot - at half the cost you'd normally spend!), what would you say is the next best one for a low level sorc?

- Careful Spell (could AE more easily, but still would damage allies on some spells - just half damage instead of possibly full)
- Distant Spell (but how often is max range an issue?)
- Empowered Spell (rerolls can be nice)
- Quickened Spell (definitely good for a quick damage burn)
- Subtle Spell (the reserve 'oh sh#^!' option for dealing with grapples, silence, etc.)

I don't expect to be buffing, so wouldn't go for Extended Spell, & Heightened Spell is just too costly until later levels, I think (or maybe take right away so it's available right at Fireball level instead of later?).

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
1) Twinned Spell. It says you can target a 2nd creature when casting a spell that targets only one creature. Would something like Magic Missile qualify, provided you had used all of the 1st spell's missiles on the same target? If so, would you then have to put all of the twinned one's on the 2nd target, or distribute at will as normal? What about a spell that specifies 'Target', but then has an effect of spreading to others (Chain Lightening, I'm looking at you)?
For the magic missile thing, I'd say the first spell has to target only the first creature, and the copy has to target only the second creature. So, in total, two creatures get three missiles each.

Chain lightning specifically mentions "a target" and "as many as three other targets," so if you want to use Twinned Spell with it, you'd only get two creatures (each within 150 feet of you) total. As opposed to casting it normally, which gets up to four creatures (one of which is within 150 feet of you and the rest of which are within 30 feet of that one). Basically never useful.

Dausuul

Legend

I agree with GX.Sigma. I would argue you can twin any spell as long as it only has a single target--even if it could have multiple targets. The second spell must also target only the second creature. So both magic missile and chain lightning work if you're only shooting them at a single creature each.

2) Given that Twinned Spell is probably the best (for just 1 point you basically get another first level spell slot - at half the cost you'd normally spend!), what would you say is the next best one for a low level sorc?

- Careful Spell (could AE more easily, but still would damage allies on some spells - just half damage instead of possibly full)
- Distant Spell (but how often is max range an issue?)
- Empowered Spell (rerolls can be nice)
- Quickened Spell (definitely good for a quick damage burn)
- Subtle Spell (the reserve 'oh sh#^!' option for dealing with grapples, silence, etc.)

I don't expect to be buffing, so wouldn't go for Extended Spell, & Heightened Spell is just too costly until later levels, I think (or maybe take right away so it's available right at Fireball level instead of later?).
Empowered Heightened Spell, no question. Empowered Heightened Spell is crazy-good. It's roughly equivalent to "+5 to the save DC of this spell." You may not get too much use out of it right away, but the minute you hit 3rd level you get access to hold person; near-guaranteed paralysis for at least 1 round. Lock down the villain, then the fighter Action Surges and she and the rogue go to town with advantage and automatic crits. Or you can use suggestion, crown of madness... basically, anything that lets you screw with your enemy's brain.

Last edited:

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Empowered Spell, no question. Empowered Spell is crazy-good. It's roughly equivalent to "+5 to the save DC of this spell." You may not get too much use out of it right away, but the minute you hit 3rd level you get access to hold person; near-guaranteed paralysis for at least 1 round. Lock down the villain, then the fighter Action Surges and she and the rogue go to town with advantage and automatic crits. Or you can use suggestion, crown of madness... basically, anything that lets you screw with your enemy's brain.

It's Heightened Spell that forces the reroll on save (Empowered allows the caster to reroll damage dice) - and, sadly, it only applies to the first save rolled. Not bad, but not a stunlock either. It also casts 3 sorc points, which is pretty steep at low levels.

I've just about talked myself into Subtle Spell - it's cheap, a good 'get out of jail - or at least take a blast at the jail - free' card, and I can always take Heightened at 10th if I decide it's worth having (& by then I'd have enough points to reasonably use it from time to time).

Dausuul

Legend
It's Heightened Spell that forces the reroll on save (Empowered allows the caster to reroll damage dice)...

D'oh! Fixed, thanks.

- and, sadly, it only applies to the first save rolled.

True, but it still means a guaranteed 1-round paralysis with hold person. That's enough time for the rest of the party to dish out a whole lot of pain. And suggestion only grants one save. Still, I can see waiting till later levels.

Remove ads