• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Sorcerer/Oracle/Mythic Theurge? Anyone tried it?

Wycen

Explorer
Well, are you really interested in the "roleplaying" or do you want to know about how it worked mechanically and how effective the character was?

I briefly considered going druid/sorcerer/mystic theurge, until the good people of the internet convinced it, "IT'S A TRAP!"

Consider your levels and access to spells: a sorcerer 4/oracle 4/MT 2 will be a 10th level character with access only to 3rd level spells.

Now, if you like a lot of spells and flexibility, a MT is a good choice, except in this case spontaneous casters like sorcerers and oracles don't get (eventual) access to all spells like a wizard/cleric etc.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
IMO, you're better off just going one class or the other. The Sorcerer/Oracle combo is particularly painful because you need 4 levels in each class to qualify. Further, Oracles can already do a lot of what sorcerers can, depending on your choice of Mystery. A lot depends on the type of caster you want to play. Want to be a necromancer? Pick the Bones mystery. Want to blow things up? Pick Flame (and the Elemental Spell feat, so you can change your spells' energy type to something other than fire when you fight fire resistant/immune enemies).

You might want to check out the Advanced Race Guide. In it there's an archetype for elven oracles that let's them pick one arcane spell of each level instead of getting Mystery spells. The spells are treated as a level higher than normal, but still, it's a powerful option. It does require you to be an elf, though.

Celebrim

Legend
I'd never allow that feat. ALL caster levels AND you can take it multiple times.

It only raises caster level; it doesn't advance spellcaster progression. The spells you can cast might in some cases get better, but you don't get more spells or higher level spells. As such, I consider it rather weak.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I'd never allow that feat. ALL caster levels AND you can take it multiple times. Yeah, no. Besides there is a Pathfinder trait for this already: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack

I suppose someone could argue that a trait is a half feat and thus a +4 should be ok for the cost of a feat, but the thing messy posted is too good in my opinion.
<The President is beckoning to his interpreter...>
What feat/trait are you commenting on? Sorry, but I seem to have missed the context for this post.

Moving on...

PRCs like Mystic Theurge and Ultimate Magus are for people whi like to have a *lot* of low level spells. The price is that they never get (or acquire only with great difficulty) the higher level spell slots.

As long as the player knows this going in, fine.

Accepting that they do know this going in, I'm not going to warn them that they'll be spell levels low. They know that.

I will point out that you will want/need to invest in a Practiced Spellcaster feat or two, and/or Spell Penetration, if you want to be effective when you start running into things with SR. It's more or less required, and is a price that *isn't* quite so obvious going in.

That 10th level build that was mentioned is not only limited to 3rd level spells, they're firing those 3rd level spells four caster levels below their real level. That impacts every level dependent spell in their arsenal. And I'm not just talking about Fireball and Lightning Bolt. I'm including things like Dispel Magic and its kin. I'm talking about Fly lasting six minutes instead of ten. I'm talking about your (already range-challenged) Scorching Ray spell having only one ray instead of two, and firing that one ray an even shorter distance.

Next consider Feats that have a caster level prerequisite, *and* those that specify things like "Must be able to cast 3rd level spells". You'll make the 3rds easy. 5ths? More of a problem.

These PRCs have some neat bennies, but they come at a price, and at least part of that price is buried in the fine print.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
That 10th level build that was mentioned is not only limited to 3rd level spells, they're firing those 3rd level spells four caster levels below their real level. That impacts every level dependent spell in their arsenal. And I'm not just talking about Fireball and Lightning Bolt. I'm including things like Dispel Magic and its kin. I'm talking about Fly lasting six minutes instead of ten. I'm talking about your (already range-challenged) Scorching Ray spell having only one ray instead of two, and firing that one ray an even shorter distance.
The feat linked in post #5 was in reference to the caster level issue. And yes, no one should play a theurge without Practiced Spellcaster or equivalent.

Starfox

Hero
If this becomes a doube post, it is because it seems the internetz ate my first reply.

There was an NPC Sorcerer/Favored Soul (3.5 oracle-look-alike)/Mystic theurge and she became the cohort of one of the players in my campaign. I leveled her up to lvl 18. Her role was buffer and general support, including some healing. At levels past 12, she shone quite brightly. The party had no cleric or wizard, and she stepped in to hand out many, many buffs, acting as a power-multiplier for the whole party. Rarely did she contribute much directly, so it was a very NPC-ish role.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads