• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer/Pally

DumbPaladin

First Post
I think this thread should be in the Pathfinder forum. It has its own.

Attribute-wise, Pal/Sorc works a little better in PF than in 3.x, because you only need CHA as your main Paladin attribute and your Sorcerer casting attribute. If you want to be involve in melee, you still need the STR/CON combination, and you'll still have to be creative -- or go without much armor -- for getting around arcane spell failure.

The problem is you give up a lot more in PF for multiclassing than you did in 3.5. After 6 levels of Paladin, you really had nothing new to gain beyond spells. In PF, every level you take in Paladin is going to slow down your Sorcerer spell progression, your acquisition of bloodline powers, AND your bloodline feats ... and every level you take in Sorcerer is going to lessen your Channel ability, the number of Mercies you gain, and the number of Auras you gain.

I think you can still make a good character combining the two in PF, but now it's about deciding what you're willing to give up.

hopeless

Adventurer
Paladin/Sorceror combination

Unless you're looking to pick up paladin spells I'd leave it at a maximum of 3 paladin levels and then focus on sorceror that way you don't leave yourself short on the arcane spell end.

Ultimately it depends on the background story and yes some would say thats irrelevant but you really need to explain why you're doing this so that it makes what you have planned go without a hitch.

For example the character is a member of a family with a strong paladinnic heritage the only thing is they never go beyond a certain level of paladin since achieving access to divine magic is considered inappropriate as far too many of the faiths have polticial agendas that leave such higher ranking members vulnerable to machinations a lower otherwise unremarkable paladin on the verge of either falling or much more vulnerable to corruption.

You might want to throw in family heritage or another explanation for the class combination which also applies to any of the others but this is often limited to being one class and watching another to get the chance to multi-class.

I ran a halfling sorceress with the intention of multi-classing even going to the point of searching out a feat that would allow a non-rogue option, but the dm then imposed a rule preventing arcane and divine multi-class options so my sorceress became a sorceror/rogue and given i was prevented from securing thieves tools when I had the chance kind of spells out that this was a mistake on behalf of both me and the dm.

Best of luck though and let us know how you develop this!

Nimloth

First Post
smite evil

Basically, just as good as multiclassing in 3.x, poorly. DumbPaladin and hopeless covered it pretty well. I will add that Smite Evil is very powerful now, and works with bows and spells. Though there is no official response to how this spell interaction works that I can find. Magic missle and AOE spells are the areas that need official clarification. In the game I am in, we have said that Smite Evil works with spells that require an attack roll.

PFRD said:
Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

In addition, while smite evil is in effect, the paladin gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the paladin targets a creature that is not evil, the smite is wasted with no effect.

The smite evil effect remains until the target of the smite is dead or the next time the paladin rests and regains her uses of this ability. At 4th level, and at every three levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: Paladin, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level.

Which do you want, a PAL/sor or SOR/pal?

PAL/sor; get enough levels of sor to grab whatever attack spell you want to use with smite, then just level as pal.

SOR/pal; figure how many pal abilities you want, then just level as sor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads